News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sleeping Beauty wakes up

Started by 427heaven, January 23, 2018, 09:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Paint is a strange medium. You can do everything right and it fails. All you can do is go through the procedure again.

Personally I'd feel better if there was a hardener used with it but that stuff fails too...and when it does, it's harder to get off.

I have no recommendations for you. Go the Gaines route. It's the best procedure. If it doesn't work, then... ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Slow and steady wins the race... Most of the time probably not , but it does help get a very long project together. Thanks to all with the interior advice, it is making progress. Driving the car without interior sounds like sitting in a tin can with a rocket attached. One day hopefully sooner than later it will be completed. :-[

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427heaven on April 11, 2019, 11:53:49 PM
Slow and steady wins the race... Most of the time probably not , but it does help get a very long project together. Thanks to all with the interior advice, it is making progress. Driving the car without interior sounds like sitting in a tin can with a rocket attached. One day hopefully sooner than later it will be completed. :-[

+ 1 you can do it !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427heaven

Anthony-Keith... Thank you for posting the article about the SUPER SNAKE it allows me to compare the original car to mine which seems to have most similarities covered. I got the top end speed figured out, I need to be around 177 mph flat out, but do we know the quarter mile time slips? ;D

427heaven

Anyone know what the Super Snakes quarter mile time slips were ?

Side-Oilers

With or without the super-tall rear axle ratio?
(I don't know either...)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

One of the most iconic SHELBYS of all time and no one knows what it ran at the strip? It seems to be shrouded in secrecy, and what exactly was changed to run top end speed tests vs drag strip numbers. Really would like to know, might try to best... its best numbers.

Side-Oilers

I wouldn't be surprised if they never ran it for time at a drag strip.  When developing a top speed car, there's often little concern for a 0-60 or 1/4 mile time.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Richstang

There's a rumor the "Super Snake's" first two owners drag raced it in Texas.

It may have had the name 'EL JEFE' painted on the side in red

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

I was thinking about the initial development by Shelby. Not the car's afterlife. But that would count too!
Thanks Rich,
Van
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on May 14, 2019, 12:25:41 PM
One of the most iconic SHELBYS of all time and no one knows what it ran at the strip? It seems to be shrouded in secrecy, and what exactly was changed to run top end speed tests vs drag strip numbers. Really would like to know, might try to best... its best numbers.

It's no faster then a stock GT500 before they popped in the 2.75's. After that you had to push start it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 14, 2019, 04:30:07 PM

It's no faster then a stock GT500 before they popped in the 2.75's. After that you had to push start it.
Maybe just a little bit faster?... ;D

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on May 14, 2019, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on May 14, 2019, 04:30:07 PM

Maybe just a little bit faster?... ;D

OK, but just a LITTLE faster.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

My upholstery is finally going in and I need to find the correct seat belt bolts. What type of finish did these have ,gold iridate, chrome, zinc plated? I take it the shoulder belts need longer bolts for the roll bar? I have boxes of stuff to pilfer thru, thanks again for the assist.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on July 26, 2019, 01:12:40 PM
My upholstery is finally going in and I need to find the correct seat belt bolts. What type of finish did these have ,gold iridate, chrome, zinc plated? I take it the shoulder belts need longer bolts for the roll bar? I have boxes of stuff to pilfer thru, thanks again for the assist.
The seat bolts finish is called zinc dichromate.  It comes out gold in color. Be careful installing the rollbar bolt to the headliner //roof structure . If you use one too long it will pit a dent in your roof. FYI that bolt gets a silver washer underneath so as to keep the bolt head from digging into the rubber covering of the roll bar.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby