Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty wakes up  (Read 60365 times)

427heaven

• View Profile
Sleeping Beauty wakes up
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:40:27 PM »
So I am cleaning out my storage locker and my neighbor is cleaning out his locker as well, I look down and see a complete c7zx dual quad intake set up and ask if he wants to sell it and he said he would. I ask if he has anymore STUFF he might sell and said how about some tunnel port 427 engine parts, I said yes I would be interested, we make a deal on price and mention to him it sure would be nice if he new where the rest of the car that the intake manifold came off of, he says he does know where it is and proceeds to take me to it and one thing leads to another and now the Big-Bad-Blue Shelby is headed to my shop. The car was taken off the road in 1971 due to a mishap while street racing. Fast forward 47 years and the Beauty and the beast is now running around on its own power with a 427 medium riser and the goal is to run 176 mph to be the fastest day 2 street Shelby on the planet, using 50 year old technology. It was mentioned before but all was lost to cyber space... Still will need some help finishing my project, Thanks to all who have helped to this point and welcome more assistance in attaining my goal.

427heaven

• View Profile
Re: Sleeping Beauty wakes up
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
After 47 years since someone has driven my car as a complete car, it soon will have all its interior work done to make it whole again. I received the upholstery for it and will soon be getting it back together. It will have parchment comfort weave to compliment its Nightmist blue with white stripes theme. Hope to have some pictures of it going back together as some of you know I'm not too good with taking pics. To those not knowing the story line it was a street racer long before street racing became popular with shows like Street Outlaws. It was the king of the streets around New York-Jersey-Philly areas with Blue Cheer painted on its sides. This is what apparently the owner was on ( BLUE CHEER ) when he took an off road excursion with the tunnel port outfitted 427 and has sat for the last 47 years as an incomplete Bad Boy Big Block. Soon to completed, hope to have some pics showing its progress!

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
Great story!  Nice to hear that one more Shelby is going to be resurrected after so many years.  Can't wait to see some of your pictures.  Keep us posted and congrats on your found treasure.

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:13 PM »
The car does have an interesting story line to it and am lucky enough to bring it back to its glory days. This car embodies the 1960s early 70s burn your draft cards burn your bras. lets go party, race, get in trouble, drive fast , have fun and rebel against the machine. It was a sign of the times and what everyone was doin at the time , even the music at the time was in favor of these activities. So to relive some of these memories many of us choose cars of this era and music to go along with it. WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP ITS BEEN! ;)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:04 AM »
Question regarding the chrome buttons on the deluxe seats-My seat kit did not come with this pieces but since I got the last parchment seat kit in the US I didn't want to complain. Are these pieces available by themselves and if they are do they look correct for the application. Are they glued or screwed on? A 2 month waiting period seemed like a long wait to make some more seat covers. They didn't make very many back then and I guess that holds true today.Thanks in advance...

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:01 AM »
Question regarding the chrome buttons on the deluxe seats-My seat kit did not come with this pieces but since I got the last parchment seat kit in the US I didn't want to complain. Are these pieces available by themselves and if they are do they look correct for the application. Are they glued or screwed on? A 2 month waiting period seemed like a long wait to make some more seat covers. They didn't make very many back then and I guess that holds true today.Thanks in advance...
I have always had a upholstery shop make the seats up from scratch. The repro seats use the wrong comfort weave and piping around the edges . Both things stand out to my eye (especialy in concours  ;) ) .NPD sells the metal inserts. They look fine. They also sell the metal backing that holds them in from the backside.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »
Plus one on the repop upholstery covers...Material is too grey and texture is wrong..sticks out like a sore thumb..I actually had my upholstery guy use new comfortweave material he got by the yard to make my drivers seat as it will see more wear...For the passenger side I had him sew in the original comfortweave insert....They are not identical but very,very close..Also as an ace up my sleeve I retained my drivers side insert (which still looks good) in case I ever go the full resto. route...Good Luck! Trent

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »
Thanks guys for the reply on the upholstery since I'm committed with my seat kit we will see how they turn out. If the general consensus is ooh that looks like sh.. than a custom fabricated set will be on the agenda. Pictures to follow

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
Upholstery shops making covers on site from raw materials?

That has to be something we won't be seeing much longer.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
Upholstery shops making covers on site from raw materials?

That has to be something we won't be seeing much longer.
.  Oh my guy will be going for quite some time...Actually ran into him yesterday while riding my bike...Looks healthy as a horse!!! ;D

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 12:52:19 AM »
The car does have an interesting story line to it and am lucky enough to bring it back to its glory days. This car embodies the 1960s early 70s burn your draft cards burn your bras. lets go party, race, get in trouble, drive fast , have fun and rebel against the machine. It was a sign of the times and what everyone was doin at the time , even the music at the time was in favor of these activities. So to relive some of these memories many of us choose cars of this era and music to go along with it. WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP ITS BEEN! ;)

All that pales by comparison to owning the latest iPhone, right. I can see it now as the aged Millennial tells his grandkids about how he owned the best iPhone in the neighborhood and how he could text faster than anyone else. And that is how he won over your grand ma ma.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 12:30:57 AM »
When I take my cars out for a little personal time the neighbors can here me coming from many blocks away. When I get close to home I usually see a few millennials that are neighbors kids and ask them if they want to go for a trophy run and burn the tires off and the answer is why do you want to ruin a perfectly good set of tires... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D If ya have to explain it they would never get it! Different times for sure.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 02:36:04 AM »
Yeah well my car is kinda loud too...Guy across the street has a2015 vette,guy behind me has a driveway full of bow tie products,so that works out nicely...http://

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
As some of you know I am completing my interior of my car that has taken an almost 50 year nap. The question is are the interior panels such as kick panels and deluxe seat back panels finished in a flat -semi gloss- or gloss finish? Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
As some of you know I am completing my interior of my car that has taken an almost 50 year nap. The question is are the interior panels such as kick panels and deluxe seat back panels finished in a flat -semi gloss- or gloss finish? Thanks in advance.
The kick panels ,lower seat trim and hard backs are more of a semigloss then a flat.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby