News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 on eBay

Started by billmunny, September 11, 2018, 02:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmunny

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Shelby/332798053349?hash=item4d7c4f4be5:g:30oAAOSwtAtbkpxF&vxp=mtr

1967 Shelby GT 500

67402F8A00972

This Shelby has undergone an extensive restoration and today is a strong driver quality car.
This was a rusty car that suffered an engine fire, all documented in the Shelby registry. it's an early car 0972 with inboard lights.  It is rumored that the car is rebodied and given how solid it is today I am leaning towards that conclusion. Now the good. This is a very respectable solid 1967 Shelby GT 500 with a stout strong running 428 (have short video I could send) Interior is completely redone and shows great, engine compartment in redone and shows great Body redone and shows great, paint is good(driver, normal wear) has a heat blemish on the hood from idling in the garage.  I will answer questions about the car, rf182385@gmail.com. I have owned it since 2006 and driven very little always stored indoors and started and run regularly.  Low Reserve

This from the Shelby registry:

Hi Russ,
Nice looking car. I am away on vacation, away from my files but from the information I have with me, it looks as though the original chassis was rusted beyond repair and a rust free Mustang chassis was used to rebuild the car.
Regards
Dave

Greg

This is a breath of fresh air, the car has been re-bodied and no one is trying to cover it up. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

Hard to put a price on a re-body.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

I think you have to price them like a standard mustang (vary with the quality of restoration) with some Shelby touches.

billmunny

No bonus points for the having being in the SAAC Registry?

J_Speegle

Quote from: billmunny on September 11, 2018, 04:51:23 PM
No bonus points for the having being in the SAAC Registry?

How would this car or a similar one have been "in the registry"  only the number of the original car was? If this car is titled as that original car, there are likely going to be some legal issues somewhere in the future. Have dealt with those on a regular bases for decades 

If this car had been incorrectly identified and (its history after it was rebodied) was included in the registry then that would likely be removed from the publically published version of the registry since it has nothing to do with the original car just some of the parts that were once on the car IMHO

The registry may still choose to track the car just to keep track if it for future purposes.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

billmunny

I've always wondered about these "rebodied" cars that are built from parts of a specific car that was known to be destroyed, rusted away, burnt, etc.

Thanks for the clarification; so the registry doesn't continue to list these cars after their destruction or if so, notes their new "rebodied" i.e. non-car status?

Coralsnake

Agree with Jeff, while the Shelby numbers were "saved" another car had its numbers destroyed. Improper destruction of a VIN is illegal. Its unlikely a State would have blessed this union. It may not be a problem for years, but eventually it has the potential to be a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

We can debate all day if its a Shelby or not, but those facts wont change.

I have learned everyone has a different tolerance for what is correct, so there is likely a buyer....

Greg

Great discussion, with the money that these early cars are bringing, I know of instances where people are bringing in X-ray machines to verify that the Ford number hasn't been grafted into the aprons.  What this means to all of us is a car that you sold, if you didn't do a thorough vetting of the numbers, has the potential to come back and cause you A LOT of trouble and money. 

Quote from: billmunny on September 12, 2018, 05:10:25 AMso the registry doesn't continue to list these cars after their destruction or if so, notes their new "rebodied" i.e. non-car status?

I think that opens the registry, registrar and SAAC to a lot of lawsuit potential.

If you question the veracity of a particular car, contact the registrar privately to find out if there are known questions about the history.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: billmunny on September 12, 2018, 05:10:25 AM
I've always wondered about these "rebodied" cars that are built from parts of a specific car that was known to be destroyed, rusted away, burnt, etc.

Thanks for the clarification; so the registry doesn't continue to list these cars after their destruction or if so, notes their new "rebodied" i.e. non-car status?
The cars are listed the same as others including the "rebodied" history. Readers are left to make up their own mind how that impacts the value of the car. A explanation of rebody is given in the beginning of the registry for those who don't understand what that term means.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby