Author Topic: 65 on EBay  (Read 7731 times)

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
Re: 65 on EBay
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
T Bird wheels

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
Agree, get an expert and get Howard involved in the process. Approachable helpful guy; he might even tell you a story or 2 about his R!
[/quote]

++1, Howard is a great, helpful person and will be a great help to whoever is serious about this machine!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
Geez. They even posted a shot of the full Ford VIN on the block.  :o
I don't understand.  I thought Ford didn't start stamping VIN's into blocks until 1968.  How does a 65 have a VIN stamped block if this didn't become a manufacturing norm until three years later?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »
I don't understand.  I thought Ford didn't start stamping VIN's into blocks until 1968.  How does a 65 have a VIN stamped block if this didn't become a manufacturing norm until three years later?

QSS

The Hipo blocks were VIN stamped in 65, 66 and 67 due to the shorter warranty Ford provided for the K-codes.

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »

QSS

All early Shelby's should have the VIN stamping . Those that don't generally have some "story" as to how theirs is the exception, blah blah blah......

FWIW,  a VIN Stamped engine block is only an indication of originality, NOT proof f anything.  Many people think nothing about having replacement blocks stamped during an overhaul or restoration.  Done by an experienced person, a subsequent block stamping cannot be told from an original one. 

So buyer beware, don't pay extra for a meaningless stamp, without other substantiating evidence that the block / engine is original.

Z
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:21:51 AM by zray »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
^^
This
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
Thanks for the education.

QSS

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »

All early Shelby's should have the VIN stamping . Those that don't generally have some "story" as to how theirs is the exception, blah blah blah......

FWIW,  a VIN Stamped engine block is only an indication of originality, NOT proof f anything.  Many people think nothing about having replacement blocks stamped during an overhaul or restoration.  Done by an experienced person, a subsequent block stamping cannot be told from an original one. 

So buyer beware, don't pay extra for a meaningless stamp, without other substantiating evidence that the block / engine is original.

Z

I am reminded of this article from Hemming;

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2008/08/Just-a-Second---1968-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28/1676538.html

I am amazed just how many performance cars from the 60's are now all numbers matching with all original parts and just one repaint.    ::)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »

QSS
68 was when engine VIN stamping was federally mandated. Prior to 68 it was common for Ford to stamp some part of a 65-67 high performance engine drive train (block and or trans) for law enforcement identification purposes because those vehicles were thought to be more prone to be stolen and or parted out .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »

Z

I am reminded of this article from Hemming;

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2008/08/Just-a-Second---1968-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28/1676538.html

I am amazed just how many performance cars from the 60's are now all numbers matching with all original parts and just one repaint.    ::)

Disturbing of the lengths people will go to rip others off.  Whenever there are lots of cash involved, people do whatever they can to take your money. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Including fake bids in an attempt raise prices! Private auctions are nothing but.

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »

QSS
68 was when engine VIN stamping was federally mandated. Prior to 68 it was common for Ford to stamp some part of a 65-67 high performance engine drive train (block and or trans) for law enforcement identification purposes because those vehicles were thought to be more prone to be stolen and or parted out .
Thanks Bob.

QSS

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 01:30:22 AM »
Including fake bids in an attempt raise prices! Private auctions are nothing but.

Ebay is full of shill bidding too.

Z

jeff_br

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
Forgot to Re-Register on this site after the crash-

It's cool to see this car surfaced after many years in hibernation. My dad was the (2nd owner) of it and ended up selling it to a guy in California. Less that Steering wheel my dad said it appears to be the same way he sold it back in the 80's..