News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New Effective Fire Extinguisher

Started by NC TRACKRAT, September 07, 2018, 08:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC TRACKRAT

There's a relatively new fire extinguisher on the market that is far more effective and less expensive than HALON or HALOTRON types.  It takes up less space, weighs less, costs less and dispenses far longer than the usual pressurized 2-1/2 lb. fire bottle.  It doesn't deplete the OZONE layer, is non-toxic and leaves no residue.  Take a look here: https://elementfire.com/
Be sure to watch the videos.  I've purchased one and, as my HALON bottles go bad by losing pressure, I'm going to replace them with ELEMENT50's. (Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in this company)
5S071, 6S1467

propayne

Wow - that is pretty darn cool (pun intended).

Thanks for posting!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

67_1183

Interesting technology, but not currently UL listed if that is a requirement by yourself personally, or through other regulations.

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs

QuoteIn North America, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is responsible for the certification of fire extinguishers. UL does their testing to a standard that contains a form (physical shape) component followed by a performance component. Because Element's form does not fit inside of UL's guidelines of what a traditional fire extinguisher looks like (i.e. compressed gas cylinder with a hose and measurement gauge) it is immediately passed over for performance testing. At present UL is being campaigned to update its standards to recognize the different form offered by Element and allow it an opportunity to be tested and certified.

Until the standards are updated Element cannot be used to substitute extinguishers in regulated environments that require a UL (or UL endorsed) certification. Element can however be freely used as an supplement to the extinguishers used where regulation exists.

There are no restrictions in non-regulated environments (car, home, personal garage, etc.) allowing Element to be used freely.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

CSX 4133

I don't see that these are for track specific usage, unless I missed it. Might be of interest in a street car, if I didn't already have onboard extinguishers in the CSX and the Shelby. I would need more information and reviews before using this product over a Halatron product. I chuckled when I saw they were made in Italy, I wonder if these will become standard issue in the Ferrari/Lambo's. to help with their recurring engine fires.

NC TRACKRAT

FWIW, HALOTRON is half as effective as HALON, i.e., a 5lb. HALOTRON is the equivalent of a 2-1/2lb. HALON.  Take into consideration the few seconds it takes to empty a 2-1/2 lb. fire bottle and then consider the 50 seconds that the ELEMENT50 dispenses its contents.  On a personal note, on a couple of occasions, I have used HALON 2-1/2lb. bottles to help fellow motorists fight engine fires.  On one, a VW, it was too far gone and the HALON was completely ineffective.  The car was a total loss. On the other, it was an underhood electrical fire and it contained it sufficiently to get the battery disconnected.  Both my bottles required re-charging at over $100 each.  Although I didn't ask and wouldn't have accepted, neither motorists offered re-imbursement.  To me, the ELEMENT50 is a bargain.
5S071, 6S1467

gjz30075

I, too, recently learned about this new extinguisher.    I hope show organizers pick up on this quickly, as one  of their
rules require a 2.5 lb bottle, and needs to be shown at show entry.
We might have to carry documentation, at first, to show the organizers that this little
stick is better than the bottle.
Greg Z
6S2249

rbarkley

From the video, it seems like you have to get awfully close to the fire to get it extinguished!

Bill

In the late 90's and early to mid  2K's I sold Coldfire systems
When racing my Cobra replicas, that is all I used in them, as a Halon type system was not good for an open cockpit vehicle. Bicknell now carries them
https://us.bicknellracingproducts.com/2-Litre-FIRE-SUPRESSION-SYSTEM/item/CFS48675096

Do a search on Youtube for several video's of the product, I highly recommend them over any powder/gas type systems and you'll see why after watching the various videos .

Bill S.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

NC TRACKRAT

Coldfire makes great stuff for racing applications but a 2 liter kit will run around $650-$700. 
5S071, 6S1467

Bill

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on September 08, 2018, 03:43:29 PM
Coldfire makes great stuff for racing applications but a 2 liter kit will run around $650-$700.

The counter to the cost argument is a simple one for those of us who race, or who have raced:
How much is a life worth?
How much is your car worth?
Are you installing a fire suppression system to save yourself (which is the intended use for all fire suppression systems, to give you time to get out of the vehicle that is on fire), or your car (a secondary by product and afterthought in most peoples minds I would hope)?

If I go back to racing (I hear my old 95 "R" SCCA car might be for sale soon  ;D ), you can bet I'll spend the money on another coldefire system, 4 Liter system with 4-5 nozzles if they are still available. 1 nozzle in the engine compartment, 1 near the fuel pump and fuel cell in the trunk, and at least 2 in the passenger compartment aimed at the footbox and drivers compartment. After all, the car can be replaced, but my life cannot be.

Just saying  8)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

NC TRACKRAT

Bill, I'm in full agreement with what you say. In a racing scenario, we should do everything possible to protect ourselves. The price of life-saving equipment like this is insignificant to the level of protection it affords but the expense and the plumbing for a street car or one used occasionally for open track is over the top.
5S071, 6S1467

TedS

Element Fire is offering a 15& discount til Nov 30 plus they donate $5 to California Fire Foundation.

Ted