News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CSX2416 MAKES IT BACK TO THE NEST

Started by StevenJuliano, September 07, 2018, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenJuliano

Before I get into some brief details of CSX2416 I would like to begin with some quick thank yous especially since these gentlemen put me first when I was in need. On the west coast Mr. Cobra Lynn Park, the founder of The Cobra Experience Drew Serb, and John Bessey. The guys who did all the heavy lifting of this restoration are Jeff Christ and the highly resourceful Dave Riley. Ned Scudder who I wished existed in the MoPaR world as well (I am not sure all of you appreciate where we would be if there was no Ned.) David Wagner, and to Dan Case, the most knowledgeable Cobra expert in the world PERIOD. When a question is asked of Dan and he responds with "how far do you want to go" it puts true fear in me.

After many years of gathering knowledge and ORIGINAL bits the restoration of CSX2416 has been completed. The first order of business was to dispel all the nonsense regarding its history from day one. This self serving spinning of the facts by previous owners that ignored the obvious.

CSX2416 was never a factory dragonsnake. It quite simply and obviously was ordered as the most by far highest optioned and most special 289 streetcar ever built. There is nothing else like it that left Shelby American. Obviously Shelby America was not selling Drag cars with standard wheel openings, unmodified front spring, standard gear ratios, no roll bar, sway bars, radios, closed quiet exhaust, and on and on. All obvious facts that previous owners turned a blind eye to.  Instead they highlighted that the car was built alongside CSX2427, the yellow Dragonsnake, at Shelby's race shop. PLEASE NOTE THAT CSX2416 AND CSX2427 ARE THE ONLY WEBER INDUCTED COBRAS EVER SOLD NEW TO THE PUBLIC. With the long highly specialized list of options on CSX2416 only the race shop could handle this build. The one-of-a-kind elaborate headers into relocated elongated mufflers with four tailpipes with four chrome tips plus the Weber induction system was work out of the scope of the street car shop. This is where the connection to being a drag car starts and ends.

In the November 1964 issue of Car Craft magazine there are two clear photographs of 2416 brand new at Shelby American (In fact the car was still Princess blue thus these were taken prior to its return and repaint by Shelby in Rangoon Red). Dan Case and I went over these photos to the point of insanity. Dan sees things at a hawk-envy level.

Based on three original invoices from Shelby American this is the list of options on CSX2416 from new. Many of these options are one of one and do not appear on any other Cobra. Whoever ordered this car new had eccentric tastes and deep pockets. This car cost more ($9200 w/tax and repaint at SA) in 1964 than an S/C Cobra did years later. On a side note I was able to find the son of the owner of the dealership that had closed in 1971. He was kind enough and I lucky enough to obtain from him an original dealer foil emblem for the trunk. It may not sound like much though it made my day.

Attached are photos of CSX2416 new in front of Shelby America plus an engine photo taken the same time and as it sits today.

Sadly due to health constraints I may not be able to post/respond.

Thank You Gents.
Be well,
Steven Juliano

Here is the list of options as per the Shelby American factory invoices dated 8.6.1964:

STAGE III ENGINE WITH WEBER INDUCTION

ALUMINUM ROCKER ARM COVERS

FRONT GRILLE GUARD

REAR BUMPER GUARD

EXHAUST PIPE TIPS (4)

ADJUSTABLE WIND WINGS

TINTED SUN VISORS

HEATER

SEAT BELTS

RADIO

HOOD SCOOP AND COLD AIR BOX

SWAY BARS

OIL COOLER

FULLY POLISHED AMERICAN RACING FIVE SPOKE WHEELS W/O VISIBLE LUGS

CUSTOM EXHAUST SYSTEM

HARD TOP

DELUXE SIDE CURTAINS

ANTI FREEZE

PLUS MODIFIED GRILLE AND RELOCATED EMBLEMS

Shelby invoice dated 8.21.1964:
REPAINT RANGOON RED 64 FORD DAL-71243X

The invoiced line items were not fully itemized but based on the new car pictures at Shelby American, research, and findings during the restoration the Stage III engine package included a COBRA bell housing (new car picture), stock Armstrong shocks,  the polished wheels carried wide road racing tires, the hood scoop had a baffle inside, and the body emblems were installed in different locations than standard street cars.

I didn't mention all the many people that helped supply original parts. Even if you just found one little piece your help made the project a success."

CSX2416 at Shelby American after being returned for a color change new.

CSX2416's engine bay as new car at Shelby American.

CSX2416's engine bay Sept 2018.

The next two pictures are of CSX2416 currently in Sept 2018.

silverton_ford

It looks fantastic!  Thank you for sharing photos and history!

CSX 4133

Sounds like an amazing bit of detective work went into clarifying this cars history. Thank you for sharing it.

alexgt350h

CSX2416 and CSX2427 belong together. Both are absolutely breath taking!
Good job.
Hope you get better soon.
Brent A

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Don Johnston

Looking forward, hopefully, to more details and photos, history and restoration, in an article in the "Shelby American".   8)

98SVT - was 06GT

Beautiful - the dealer tag really adds to the restoration. These little dealer details are starting to take off. Take a look at eBay for old dealer license plate frames and tags - $50 - 200+.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SCJSTU

1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

BGlover67

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 07, 2018, 11:04:46 PM
Beautiful - the dealer tag really adds to the restoration. These little dealer details are starting to take off. Take a look at eBay for old dealer license plate frames and tags - $50 - 200+.

If you are lucky enough to find one!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbydoug

It really came out beautifully and sure is a unique Cobra. Great job Steve. It's a great example of what creates Cobra envy.  ;D

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't remember the specs on a Stage III engine? Does it include GT40 heads and a special cam?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chad

What a beautiful Cobra!!!!!! I hope you feel better soon!!

Bob Gaines

Steve ,it looks like a absolute jewel . What a car. Keep on keeping on my friend.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

Cool history, and a beautiful Cobra. Thanks for posting!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Tinface

Thank for taking the time and effort to share with us.

I hope that you find as much joy as you can with your health what it is; it's not easy is it? But we are both here....and we both have lovely Shelby vehicles...it could be worse...

Good luck.

Mark Samson Palo Alto, CA

Cobra Ned

Hey, Steven - hope you're doing well and feeling good. Am I correct in recalling that 2416 has one of the unusual footbox tags like the comp cars? If so, it suggests it was ordered from Shelby American as a comp car, even if it was never used as one. Can you advise?