News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

CSX2416 MAKES IT BACK TO THE NEST

Started by StevenJuliano, September 07, 2018, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenJuliano

Hi Ned. I literally just got home from another 10 day hospital stint. Not wanting to air my existence in a public forum all I can say is that there is a limit to how much a person values life over ending the pain.

First it seems fairly easy to rule out that 2416 was built as a Dragonsnake. The obvious closed extra silenced exhaust, standard gearing, uncut wheel openings, lack of roll bar, sway bars, choice of wheels/tires, radio, etc has to logically rule that out.

Regarding the tag  you are correct in that it has the same tag as the factory built Competition Cars.
At the risk of those reading this wondering if all the chemo I have taken has taken its toll I am the only Cobra owner on earth attempting to get to the truth and not just easily accepting the fact that I own another true SA built Comp Car.

My opinion is that the purchaser of this car quite simply ordered (from a microscopic little dealer in KS) a cobra HIS way. After rereading the list of options he chose and/or made up we all have to agree that HIS way was pretty damn cool and had zero regard for any designation being Drag, Comp, or pizza delivery vehicle. His choices as ordered and delivered would have kept him off of every race course in America plus many of his choices would have not helped the car compete even if that was his intention. SA , as far as I read, wasn't sending out Comp cars to the public with radios, quieted closed exhaust, NO roll bar, standard suspension, chrome overrider bumpers, dual chrome tipped exhaust, etc... c'mon he even sent it back for a color change? He liked a new red he saw on a mustang over the blue he rec'd? What guy ordering a race car does that? He send it all the way back to California from Kansas for red paint? That sure sounds like a guy who simply ordered a fun car HIS way to me. So faced with this custom build the question is how did Shelby American confront it? This we can never know. Obviously this build was way out of the scope of the street car department thus it ended up in the Race Car build section. The exhaust alone had to be a nightmare to construct. Ironically it started life being built alongside the yellow Dragonsnake it sits next to now. 

So my opinion is the most obvious and justifiable one. CSX2416 was simply a cobra ordered by a guy who wanted it the way he wanted it with ZERO regard for any race designation. It is what it is....a loaded up very expensive impressive street daily driver that now today falls into a unique one of one status. Anything to the contrary is hard to justify 50 years later.

The opioid has worn off so i shall to.

Miss you Ned.

Steven

A-Snake

One other small detail shows that 2416 was built in the race shop. The 'Powered by Ford' side emblems are located where the race show placed them, over the side vents.

Rodster-500

Steven,
Beautiful car. Thanks for being part of it's history and sharing it with us.
My sincere best wishes during your difficult health issues.
Rod

CSX2259

CSX2416's footbox tag prior to starting the restoration....as the person that started this restoration, I bagged and tagged every component that was removed down to the bare chassis and body, I photographed every detail along the way.
CSX2416 looks fantastic and I would very much like to see it in its completed form. Great job Steven and hang in there!

CSX 4133

Amazing story and quite the finished project I must say. My thoughts and prayers go out to you Steven for your continued progress.

Cobra Ned

Well, Steven...I am glad your car made it back to the nest. It is now public knowledge that you have, as well. I shall miss our conversations and laughter together. Rest in peace and know you will not be forgotten. My condolences and best wishes to your family.