Author Topic: Just Introducing Myself  (Read 8287 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Just Introducing Myself
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »
Hello to all the admins, mods and members in general. I just wanted to say "hello" and to check-in for the first time. I live in Louisville, Ky., I'm 50 and have been into cars since around 1976 or 1977 and I believe my first car love was a '65 Mustang coupe. Our janitor when I was in middle school, had a dark colored one. I think it was dark green. In any event, I then was exposed to a '68 Roadrunner that my friends older brother bought in the late '70's. I have been a life-long Mopar freak, but I have recently become interested again, in Shelbys. They were always my favorite Mustang-bodied Fords. The regular Mustangs are nice and I really like the GT/CS and the High Country Specials, but the '70 Shelby converts are my very favorites. I looked into the production figures here and unfortunately, there were very few made. I like them over the '69's because of the chin spoiler and the black stripes and mainly, because they were the last and had some of the lowest production figures. I've never seen a Shelby on the street, for as far back as I can remember. I'll own one in the not-so-distant future, but I need more rental properties to make that dream come true. I'd even love to make payments on a $40,000. fixer-upper, if I could. I'm glad I can join, even though I am just a hopeful owner. I look forward to talking and learning all about Shelbys, specifically the '69-'70 models. I attended the Mecum car auction with my dad and my 4.5 year old son. We had a great time and there actually was one Shelby there. It was a medium blue '69, I believe. I can post a pic of it at a later date. I'll see y'all later on the forums.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just Introducing Myself
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
welcome aboard sir, for your viewing pleasure

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
Welcome to the forums. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Best wishes,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 11:13:49 AM »
Welcome
I know where a 70-350 convertible  is for sale but it is priced appropriately....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've always admired the swoopy, stylish lines of the '67-'70 Shelbys. I'll have to bide my time and work diligently, to expand my real estate portfolio, so I can 1. move my family to a neighborhood with at least SOME deed restrictions (don't get me wrong, in my neighborhood, most of the homeowners, show great pride-of-ownership, but there are issues) and 2. GET A SHELBY CONVERT. Truth be told, my very favorite is the '68 GT500KR convert, but I am really drawn to the last hurrah ones. I don't even care if it is a 351 or a 302 (if one was offered in those years), I just want a '70 Shelby 'vert. 350, 500, doesn't matter. I plan on taking my wife and said Shelby, up the coast, along the ocean starting around Virginia Beach and turning around at Boothbay Harbor, ME. My great-grandfather used to have a cabin there and he had a home on the S.E. shore of Nantucket. We might stop-over there. This will be an early Fall trip to New England. How fun would that be, making a long coastal trip to Maine in a convertible Shelby? I just can't wait.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:55:01 PM by SNAKEBIT »

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Again, thanks for the welcome AND the pics! It'll help me pipe dream, while I wait. I keep searching the internet with 1970 Shelby convertible for sale and look for the lowest priced one. So far, I've found a decent, driveable one for $55K. Surrrre wish I could finance it right now. I'll have to sell my '66 Fury I 2-door post car to help out and clear-out my garage to make room. Let's talk Shelbys soon.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
351W is a fantastic engine.   8)

And welcome 🍻

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
Glad to have you on the forum Snakebit! You've come to the right place for guidance and encouragement as you pursue your dream. I finally got my first Shelby last year after almost 50 years of wishing and this site was instrumental in finding it, contacting the owner and getting history on it. Cruising up the coast to Boothbay Harbor in the fall would be awesome (heck, cruising it anywhere, anytime is all part of the fun). Looking forward to your dream coming true!
~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
Kj, thanks! If all works out in this world for my family, I may be able to afford a '69 or '70 in less than 7 years, taking a little bit of a rough guess. I am soooo gassed at the thought of my cruise up the coast with my gal in our Shelby. Some luggage in the trunk, a small cooler in the back with snacks and drinks and I'd be ready to head up there for a clam bake on the beach!

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
2112, the 351 engine in the Shelbys are Windsors, not Clevelands?

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 10:04:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here and many great SAAC members here who can help you learn about the cars in preparation for the day when you get to "take the wheel".

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »
Not 2112 but yes Windsors not Clevelands, and welcome  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 11:14:38 PM »

Yup, a big 289.

They don't require as much RPM as a Cleveland, thus nice on the street. If you want, you can make really big power with them.

Great all-around engine.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
Guys, thanks for all the guidance so far. I didn't know the 351W was a musclecar engine. I thought about big power with my '66 Fury. I was thinking twin-turbo with it, but I believe I will now sell it. It is in nearly all-original condition and 99.9%rust-free from S. Cal. Anyways, I'll hang out, learn and attend any events that I can. I can't believe I'm sort of "jumpin' ship" after all these years. I still love Mopars, but I think my next muscle car will be a '70 Shelby. I'll take a '69 in the mean time if I can't find one when I get cash-in-hand. I'm wondering what I should learn first about these cars. I was first a Ford fan when I was young.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
Fl SAAC Tony, are those two cars yours? Wow, if they are. I'd be lucky to get just one in the next 7 or so years. Way to go.
Update: Look at me, I'm a junior member now. Yayy! Oh goody goody.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:08:05 PM by SNAKEBIT »