Author Topic: Verify Authenticity  (Read 14293 times)

cswilson17

• View Profile
Verify Authenticity
« on: September 12, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
I am throwing this out to all the 66 Shelby experts.  I am trying to determine the authenticity of the 1966 Shelby GT350 that my wife and I inherited.  Her father was the original buyer and owner of the vehicle until his death 8 years ago.  It is not in the best of shape, but we were just able to locate the Ford VIN number along with the Shelby number.   I do not have the means or ability to restore it, but many people do.  In order to attempt to sell the vehicle I would like to authenticate what we have.  Up until now no one knew this car even existed anymore because it has not been driven since the 1970's.  Finding anything on it has been close to impossible.  If anyone knows who I need to contact please let me know. 

C. Wilson

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Re: Verify Authenticity
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
First thing of course is to contact the proper registrar with your SFM number. Only they have the "secret" ford VIN to verify the car.

http://www.saac.com/registry_updates.html?tab=1#TabbedPanels1

Many here can help you once the car is authenticared

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »
You need to get in touch with Howard Pardee.   He is the 1965 and 1966 Registar.  He has all of the information on these cars.  He is a nice guy and will help you with the information you need.

Howard Pardee: saachp@snet.net

Just for information.   Please do not share the Ford VIN in a public forum.  You can share the Shelby VIN because that is a known number that is in the registry.  Keeping the Ford VIN secure helps prevent the bad guys from trying to clone a car.   I just wanted to let you know that before you get too far.

Good luck with your car!   It sounds very exciting to have this one.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
is this the car I saw located in Maryland a few years back, unrestored but appeared to be all original, I believe I saw it in southern Maryland area (Annapolis)
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
Yes, Howard is your guy. He can assist with all you need including how to best move forward with sale to insure a fair market price.

It is unfortunate that you cannot keep it in the family. Keep in mind that it does not have to be concours in order to be enjoyed and appreciated by others.

Good luck,

Dennis

cswilson17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I'll post an update on the findings here soon!  This car is located in Texas. 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
Since the VIN match is a small but very important part of the puzzle you might want to enlist the help of a good inspector of the car so that a full report can be produced. If the car is put up for sale this can speed up the process, keep the potential buyer from having to find and pay for an inspection and if there is name recognition everything can go quicker and easier if the car checks out. At minimum it should provide an independent disinterested third party opinion and finding of facts on the current condition.

As always - for 65-66 - the journey begins with Howard

Good luck with your choices and moving forward 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:55:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:26:09 PM »
You cant just depend  on matching Ford and Shelby VIN's to guarantee anything. There are some cars out there  that were duplicated in decades past by unscrupulous shops" that had the knowledge of both VIN's. NO ONE knows how many of these fakes are in circulation today. No one.

Not saying that's the case here. But it should be pointed out that an PERSONAL inspection by a recognized Shelby authority is the best way to proceed if a cars history in unknown.

Z

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »
....Not saying that's the case here. But it should be pointed out that an PERSONAL inspection by a recognized Shelby authority is the best way to proceed if a cars history in unknown.

Might even have benefits on cars where the history is pretty well established. Have had some cars that I believe the current owners didn't realize was not likely the real car.  Some that had been owned by the same owner for decades - never a pretty situation.  Good inspections can also document a starting point for the new owner's ownership and point in time.

At the same time I've run across buyers that didn't want to know - to each their own  ::) 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cswilson17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 02:09:30 PM »
I will get an inspection done, but we know the history of the car.  My wife's father bought the car new on January 21, 1967.  We have the original bill of sale from the dealership with her father's signature and the amount paid.  There is no doubt what the vehicle is and where it has been.   I understand inspections will have to be made due to fakes out there, but this has been a one owner vehicle until his passing.  The only thing in question is the engine.  By the looks of it it looks like the original, but it did have a front end collision back in the early 1970's.  It was repaired, but am currently unable to find the number on the block to determine if the original engine was removed.  The remainder of the vehicle is original, albeit not in great shape, but original. 

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
Can you share pictures?

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
Yes, it would be great to see some pictures.

cswilson17

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
These are the only ones have on me right now.  I have others on some other devices. 

cswilson17

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
Here it is back in its hay day.  Father in law driving.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
.... but am currently unable to find the number on the block to determine if the original engine was removed.

Thank you for some of the photos.  I am excited to see more.

About the VIN on the block.  The Hipo motors have the Ford VIN hand stamped in the side of the block just above where the oil pan mounts.  You might need a wire brush and some degreaser to find it.  If it doesn't have the Ford VIN, then most likely it is a replaced block.