Author Topic: Color code 14" Magnum 500 wheels  (Read 3697 times)

Color code 14" Magnum 500 wheels
« on: September 13, 2018, 05:56:48 AM »
Hello, I'm new on this forum.
I'm Miguel
I have a Ivy green '66 GT350. I'm doing a complete restoration on this car and I have a question.

The car is original equipped with the painted 14 inch Motor Rim Magnum 500 wheels.
I like to repaint the wheels like in the picture that I found in the book by GREY Kolasa  "the definitive Shelby Mustang guide 1965-1970"
Where can I find the exact color code for these wheels?
Or does anybody know the color code to paint these wheels ?

Best Regards Miguel

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Color code 14" Magnum 500 wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:10:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Miguel. Hopefully one of our more knowledgeable participants will step forward soon with the info you need. In the mean time, are there any pictures of your car that you’d like to share? That always draws attention to a topic.

Steve

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
  In '72 I had 4 NOS in Ford boxes , painted Magnums. They were flat "light" gray primer  with the normal blackouts. No shine of any level , semi or otherwise. The wheels had Dec '65 manufacturing dates on them. The paint had a degree of roughness to it as if the paint was on the "dry side" when  painted which also prevented any chance of glossiness. "Most" restored wheels are IMHO over restored and have smooth semi gloss or gloss finishes when this was simply not the case.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
Try flat hot rod grey primer

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »
you do NOT want to use primer. primer will soak up water like a sponge and go right to the metal underneath and start rusting. it must be sealed. use a grey paint with flattening agent in it. phred

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »
I currently have 5 NOS painted GT350 Magnum 500's.   (I will have to check the date codes.)   Under close inspection with a magnifying glass,  I have found very small traces of the black paint specks, the same color used on the recesses, very flat paint.  Absolutely no shine.  It appears to be over spray.  This will also affect the over all appearance at a distance.  I will try to take a picture and share.

The color code has been a mystery and has been brought up before.  One issue that might make it hard.  I bet there were variation in the paint batches from back in the day and that is why we can't agree on the exact receipt for color.  There are several if not half a dozen or more.   I have also had my painted Magnum 500 discounted for a color match.  They could be different than the assembly line versions.  However my set has not seen any exposure to solar radiations and have not be subject to weather of fading.  They look really good to me.  You can decide.

At SAAC 43, there were nearly half a dozen 66 GT350's with the painted Magnums.  I will try to post those images later also.

Take care

Cory

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
The color is similar to gray hot rod primer but i agree, use flattened paint

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
Just to add, I bought 5 new in the box from S&C Ford in 1974 and were very disappointed when I saw the finish. I even asked the parts manager if they were still in primer, they must have forgotten to paint them the final paint color! So, a rough surface, primer gray color is correct from my experience.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
Hi all,

Here is one of the five NOS S2MS-1007-B painted Magnum 500's for 1966 GT350.  The date code on the box is 9-12-74, making the wheel produced sometime prior to that.  By how much is uncertain.  It is hard to capture the color, but close.  Both the gray and the black are very flat.  The gray is a little darker in person.  Maybe better with natural light.

Notice the part number stamped on the wheel is missing the "C" in 795, making the absent "C" wheel a painted wheel.  Wheels with 795C are chrome.

There are other numbers such as M 4 over 3.  Not sure if these convert to a date code or not.

Enjoy

Cory

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »
Hi all,

Here are four of the several 66 GT350's that were at SAAC 43 with the painted Magnum 500's.  I think there were a couple more.

Enjoy

Cory

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 05:02:53 AM »
I just happen to be reading The Shelby American #55 (1989) and in the SAAC mailbag there's this very question.   The editors answer
is: "According to original Shelby American documents, the correct color is DuPont no. H-780-95176.   It was described as 'silver'
but it is actually a flat or semi gloss gray (sometimes called argent)."    The editor goes on to acknowledge that this may no longer be
available.

So it looks like even 29 years ago, it was a bit of a crapshoot.

Greg Z
6S2249

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
Hello,
Thanks for the reply's.
I'm going to give the Dupont number to my paint shop maybe they can reproduce the paint.
I also think a light grey paint with a flatting argent will be better than primer.
The rougher surface can I obtain by putting less solvent in the paint and take a bigger nozzle and paint with low air-pressure

Here some pictures of the project so far.
Now the engine has been taken apart.
Still a lot of work to do.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
Hello,
Thanks for the reply's.
I'm going to give the Dupont number to my paint shop maybe they can reproduce the paint.
I also think a light grey paint with a flatting argent will be better than primer.
The rougher surface can I obtain by putting less solvent in the paint and take a bigger nozzle and paint with low air-pressure

Here some pictures of the project so far.
Now the engine has been taken apart.
Still a lot of work to do.
It looks like it will be a great pleasure driver. It looks like you have already made a lot of non assemblyline detailing choices . If you decide to do the engine with more of a assemblyline look there are many topics you can search and review on this forum. If you want to do your own thing when building then it is your car so go for it. It is best to try to do a search first for detailing answers however if you can't find the answer then ask we will all try and help. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 01:47:04 AM »
Great pics, Miguel. Thanks for sharing those. Do you mind telling us which car you have - SFM6S__?__

Steve

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »
800-1,000 range?
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.