News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

T-Bird Chrome rear taillight frames

Started by dbegley, July 31, 2018, 01:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbegley

Years ago when I started the process of restoration on my 68 GT350, I ordered a new set of taillight frames from T Branda. Huge improvement over the pitted original frames. But I noticed they were black along the outside of the frame. That is how the stock T-Bird frames were apparently. As you guys know the Shelby version were all chrome. I saw a 68 GT500 next to me at a car show recently and those all chrome are nice plus period correct. I checked into having these dipped and chromed and its FAR cheaper to just purchase new ones. Branda told me to remove the paint off the ones I have. I have not tried that yet. After years of working on this car, I have learned if it's not broken often it's best to leave it alone. Not sure what I will find under that paint. Anyone have experience doing this? Any suggestions on what to use to remove that paint?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dbegley on July 31, 2018, 01:02:23 PM
Years ago when I started the process of restoration on my 68 GT350, I ordered a new set of taillight frames from T Branda. Huge improvement over the pitted original frames. But I noticed they were black along the outside of the frame. That is how the stock T-Bird frames were apparently. As you guys know the Shelby version were all chrome. I saw a 68 GT500 next to me at a car show recently and those all chrome are nice plus period correct. I checked into having these dipped and chromed and its FAR cheaper to just purchase new ones. Branda told me to remove the paint off the ones I have. I have not tried that yet. After years of working on this car, I have learned if it's not broken often it's best to leave it alone. Not sure what I will find under that paint. Anyone have experience doing this? Any suggestions on what to use to remove that paint?
Yes it is common practice for many decades now to strip the paint off of the bezels to use on 68's . I use lacquer thinner because it is quick. A couple wipes with a lacquer soaked rag and the black is gone.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The original S8MS parts had no paint, the later service parts were painted and used on both the Thunderbirds and 69/70 Shelbys.

Its a common mistake to see the black trim on a 1968.

Bobs suggestion will work, I use Acetone (which your wife may know as nail polish remover) it will not hurt the chrome, but a good soapy wash after you clean them is a good idea.

Its available at the hardware store.

1969shelbygt350

Look at this picture. The one on the right is the I removed it with the help by Pete. The one on the left still have the black on the chrome

1969shelbygt350

I used Acetone as recommended by Pete! Why do people cover that beautiful chrome!

dbegley

Thanks Guys. On to another project on my baby. Yes, seeing that GT500 next to my car with the full chrome frames motivated me to find out how to do this. Sounds pretty simple. Now if I can sneak my wife's fingernail polish remover out to my garage.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1969shelbygt350 on July 31, 2018, 07:09:41 PM
I used Acetone as recommended by Pete! Why do people cover that beautiful chrome!
The 68 Shelby tailpanel is silver so the all chrome compliments that. The 69 Shelby tailpanel is black and the partial blacked out bezel work as is. One way is designed to be used for 68 and the partial black 69/70.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

dbegley

Ok Guys, I took your advice and got a bottle of finger nail polish remover. Sure enough that black paint came off and there was chrome underneath. If someone else does this be forewarned it's a messy job. And it dissolved my rubber gloves.  I was so excited by the revealing of the chrome underneath I took one of the frames in to show my wife. She wasn't impressed. This is the woman that calls my GT 350 "environmentally unfriendly." (I add octane booster to the tank and the exhaust smells funny.) She also calls it loud and obnoxious. Yes it is, on purpose, Dear. I don't take her to car shows with me.
Love the all chrome frames it has now.

Coralsnake

CharlesTurner

Looks 100x better w/out the black trim!!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

1969shelbygt350

Pic before and after I removed the black chrome.

Thx to Pete

CSX 3183

Lacquer thinner works just as well, and won't dissolve your gloves, as for the  "other" problem, you are on your own!  Thank God my wife embraces the hobby, heck she drives the street race car, 67 Fairlane R Code Clone, NO PS, NO PB, and 650 HP.  All 115 ilb's of her.
Member of SAAC since 1977