News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Tilt Away Steering wheel

Started by dbegley, September 13, 2018, 10:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbegley

I am looking for a schematic for the tilt away steering. Anyone have an idea where to find some basic info on what makes this work (or not work as the case may be.)

Mongo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1967-69-Mustang-Repair-Manual-Tilt-Away-Steering-Column-Cougar-Mercury-Ford/222946963645?fits=Year%3A1968%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item33e8acb0bd:g:BQcAAOSwdhla4NMf&vxp=mtr

Covers 1967–69 Mustang / Cougar with
tilt-away steering column.
This repair and diagnostic manual contains
lots of illustrations and trouble-shooting solutions.
Black and white. Softbound,14 pages.
Part number MP310.

definitely worth it!

Coralsnake

Are you asking about how it functions or how to take apart a column?

This may be helpful:  http://thecoralsnake.com/Tilt

www.thecoralsnake.com/wiring

dbegley

My tilt away steering wheel wasn't working when I got the car, I was fine without it. Last summer my garage put on a new Power booster and master cylinder. When I picked the car up they had loosened the steering wheel. When we tightened it back up the steering wheel now has a "loose" feeling, in fact it moves about half an inch. Works ok but I want to figure out how to tighten it to eliminate this slack. Plus while I am at it I might as well see if I can get the tilt away to work.

CharlesTurner

The pins that hold the knuckle together may have backed out.  West Coast Classic Cougar sells an improved version with clips on the ends.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

If you want the column rebuilt, I might know a guy.

dbegley

Mongo, I ordered that book from the Ebay link you sent. I see that CJ Pony has it for 12.50 but the postage was $6. The Ebay cost was 15.60 with free shipping.

Mongo

sounds good. you will "see" there is a lot to help!