Author Topic: taking forever for any thread to come up!!  (Read 18702 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: taking forever for any thread to come up!!
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »
Sporadic donations probably won't add up to much.

If not part of every member's dues, then having tiered membership might make it a more consistent form of financial support.

Something like

Silver $50 gets you the current membership benefits, for-sale posts are $5 or $10
Gold $75 gets you all silver benefits plus limited P/M's & free for-sale posts.
Platinum $100 gets you all the above plus unlimited P/M's, gallery pics and access to the lounge

Or something like this

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
Well IF the financial part is the problem, then this is worth some discussion. There are lots of us here that enjoy, promote or do business on and have some kind of vested interest in seeing this forum AND SAAC flourish now and in the future.

It is a way of finding new blood, making new acquaintances and mending old fences.

There have been questions about how SAAC will or can continue into the future and the forum is too valuable of a tool to let go by the waste side and fade into oblivion.

One way of attracting new blood and carrying on what is apparently an infection of passion with Shelby's cars is with this forum. There are hundreds if not thousands that stumble upon it casually and eventually come away with an undeniable if not inexplicable interest in these cars.

All Ron needs to do is create a PayPal account where donations could be sent. You don't need to contribute a fortune, just what you can, anonymously.

There are lots of us who disagree here on relatively petty points but one thing that we all agree upon is wanting to see the interest on these cars continue well past our own lives.

It MIGHT be a time to consider taking advertising here as well?

Like I said, it's worthy of a discussion and consideration?
IMO, the crash should've NEVER happened!!! I remember distinctly MANY on here talking concern and there was also talk about who owned the forum, who minds the server, etc,. And after all the concern about these issues for several weeks....... BAM!!!! ALL WAS GONE, VANISHED!!!   

Some on here may just not understand the magnitude of what was lost because they use this forum as a form of chatting, talking about just "Stuff", why do you all think that the lounge has the most post and threads of any other area? 

When I first came on board as a member, I could not believe the knowledge and expertise here and figured this is amazing, the stuff you guys know and ALL the threads of information that you guys generated and researched.  This forum is truly the BIBLE of 1st generation Shelbys. Simply put.....AMAZING!!!

I am willing as an SAAC member to pay dues.  When I was a member of CMF, I gave several donations several times and I have give donations here as well.

So, with all said, I too, will continue to give and I am willing to pay dues as well ;) 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:42:40 AM by 69mach351w »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »
Well IF the financial part is the problem, then this is worth some discussion. There are lots of us here that enjoy, promote or do business on and have some kind of vested interest in seeing this forum AND SAAC flourish now and in the future.

It is a way of finding new blood, making new acquaintances and mending old fences.

There have been questions about how SAAC will or can continue into the future and the forum is too valuable of a tool to let go by the waste side and fade into oblivion.

One way of attracting new blood and carrying on what is apparently an infection of passion with Shelby's cars is with this forum. There are hundreds if not thousands that stumble upon it casually and eventually come away with an undeniable if not inexplicable interest in these cars.

All Ron needs to do is create a PayPal account where donations could be sent. You don't need to contribute a fortune, just what you can, anonymously.

There are lots of us who disagree here on relatively petty points but one thing that we all agree upon is wanting to see the interest on these cars continue well past our own lives.

IMO, the crash should've NEVER happened!!! I remember distinctly MANY on here talking concern and there was also talk about who owned the forum, who minds the server, etc,. And after all the concern about these issues for several weeks....... BAM!!!! ALL WAS GONE, VANISHED!!!   

Some on here may just not understand the magnitude of what was lost because they use this forum as a form of chatting, talking about just "Stuff", why do you all think that the lounge has the most post and threads of any other area? 

When I first came on board as a member, I could not believe the knowledge and expertise here and figured this is amazing, the stuff you guys know and ALL the threads of information that you guys generated and researched.  This forum is truly the BIBLE of 1st generation Shelbys. Simply put.....AMAZING!!!

I am willing as an SAAC member to pay dues.  When I was a member of CMF, I gave several donations several times and I have give donations here as well.

So, with all said, I too, will continue to give and I am willing to pay dues as well ;)

This forum IS NOT owned by SAAC. It is independently owned and SAAC membership fees do no contribute to it's running.

It was created after Shelby blindsided SAAC with a lawsuit claiming intellectual ownership of the SAAC Registry by Shelby himself. It was created to provide a means of support to SAAC in that suit.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
I'm all for contributing but I would like to know how additional funds will help the Forum? Although somewhat improved, what is the technical problem with response time? Will money solve the problem?  Will money help with a reliable back-up?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:18:10 AM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »

This forum IS NOT owned by SAAC. It is independently owned and SAAC membership fees do no contribute to it's running.

It was created after Shelby blindsided SAAC with a lawsuit claiming intellectual ownership of the SAAC Registry by Shelby himself. It was created to provide a means of support to SAAC in that suit.
I never said a word about SAAC ownership, read my post again!!  I stated it should've never happened because of the superb content and all the research over all the years.  We all know this ShelbyDoug LOL, shouldn't have to keep rehashing about who owns what, or who does what, etc, etc,,,,
And I am talking about paying dues to the forum, as what is being discussed on this thread.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:51:21 AM by 69mach351w »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
Every ones opinions on this subject are correct. Lets look at the similarities from the very beginning, OL Shel builds some of the coolest cars ever developed, then HE develops a heart condition. What to do now? He starts the Shelby heart foundation and fortunes roll in from the goodness of everyones hearts and check books,those that could did donate and not only did he get a new ticker but he had a few extra coins in his pocket to have a very nice life for the next 30 years or so whos counting where the money is going anyways right? The only true means of the glue, that holds the VERY FEW of us together is this forum. Years and years of collecting info on the cars and all of us is literally flushed down the toilet with no backup. Comparison- (Shelbys heart going bad) how to fix it -Donations  There are always those that can and will come to the rescue financially and any other means necessary to help, it doesn't mean that others are any less sympathetic to the cause just doesn't mean they should be penalized because they didn't get their I DONATED buttons! The key here is to hold onto the people that love these cars dearly and to promote further excitement of the cars. If financial membership is required for enthusiasm and enjoyment we will lose the fan base, its on a slippery slope right now and we live in a world that has healthy distrust so now it is time to shore up its inadequacies. Just one mans opinions-

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
Donations will never supply the consistency needed. Even a huge up-front lump sum will just get burned up.

Just because you have memberships doesn't mean non-members can't access the forum (with exceptions of lounge and member privileges).

You can even let non-members post, just no privileges like posting in the for-sale section.

This method is not new. It is exactly what is done on nearly every forum I have been on in the 20 years I have been on the internet.

Last, if the site is to remain privately owned, but appearing and acting like an officially sanctioned SAAC site, then a contractual agreement needs to be agreed upon and certain expectations and responsibilities need to be spelled out.

And both sides held accountable.

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
Relax... the issue is known.
We are working on it.

Thanks
Ron

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »

Flat out...wrong. The site is owned and run by SAAC