Author Topic: Cobra Badging  (Read 957 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Cobra Badging
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »
Hey, just a quick question here . . . I've seen some Shelbys from either '69 or '70, that are convertibles, that did not have the cobra on the back of the rear quarter panels. Did all '69-'70 Shelby 'verts have the cobra on the back of the car AND I'm wondering why they are facing two different directions? I wonder why they didn't make them both face forwards or rearwards. Huh . . .
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

• Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra Badging
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Hey, just a quick question here . . . I've seen some Shelbys from either '69 or '70, that are convertibles, that did not have the cobra on the back of the rear quarter panels. Did all '69-'70 Shelby 'verts have the cobra on the back of the car AND I'm wondering why they are facing two different directions? I wonder why they didn't make them both face forwards or rearwards. Huh . . .
Not all the 69/70 Shelby converts had the snakes.I am not aware of any reason for not having a right and left style emblem . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC member since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:21 AM »
Not all the 69/70 Shelby converts had the snakes.I am not aware of any reason for not having a right and left style emblem .

Using up excess/leftover inventory of one of the directions?
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982
Kirkham Cobra 427

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »
Maybe they were using up leftover inventory. I wonder if the cobra is facing the same direction on the '65-'68 Shelbys. I haven't took a close look or even wondered about it, until now, now that I would like to buy a Shelby. huh . . .

Bob Gaines

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

Using up excess/leftover inventory of one of the directions?
There are no left or right. Just one style made used on both sides.  It has never been a issue . As Special Ed says - "That's just the way it is".
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Yep, ok. Just wondering. I do that a lot. What does a used one cost? I may buy one, to put on my computer desk, to enjoy until I make the big purchase.

Bob Gaines

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
Yep, ok. Just wondering. I do that a lot. What does a used one cost? I may buy one, to put on my computer desk, to enjoy until I make the big purchase.
I looked around and couldn't find a old snake emblem to send you . I might have given them all away or they are still yet to be found. In the mean time PM me your ship to address and I will send you this 69 GT500 1:25 model to ether build or decorate your desk or wall like I did.  Oh and welcome to the forum.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
Bob, Bob, please. I am very taken by your kind and thoughtful offer. Wow, that is super-nice of you. I was going to look for a model this weekend and forgot to do it. Let me at least pay you for it. I hope you have not been insulted. Where my wife is from, if I did this to someone's offer, they would probably be insulted. I can give all day long, but receiving has always been some kind of weird hang-up for me. Is there anything I can send you? Usually, a gift of about half the value of a gift received, is sent to the sender as a thank you in Japan. I can write you a handwritten thank-you card on some velum writing stock I've had for about 30 years. I just dusted off my calligraphy pens and I found 2 Shaeffer fountain pens in there and I bought a multi-colored antique Remington fountain pen off of feebay last Tue. I'm waiting on the ink right now. I can do that in payment for the Shelby, if you want. Thank you, Gaines-san. :)

Bob Gaines

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:47 AM »
Bob, Bob, please. I am very taken by your kind and thoughtful offer. Wow, that is super-nice of you. I was going to look for a model this weekend and forgot to do it. Let me at least pay you for it. I hope you have not been insulted. Where my wife is from, if I did this to someone's offer, they would probably be insulted. I can give all day long, but receiving has always been some kind of weird hang-up for me. Is there anything I can send you? Usually, a gift of about half the value of a gift received, is sent to the sender as a thank you in Japan. I can write you a handwritten thank-you card on some velum writing stock I've had for about 30 years. I just dusted off my calligraphy pens and I found 2 Shaeffer fountain pens in there and I bought a multi-colored antique Remington fountain pen off of feebay last Tue. I'm waiting on the ink right now. I can do that in payment for the Shelby, if you want. Thank you, Gaines-san. :)
If you want to do something then do a good turn for 2 others and tell each to do a good turn for two others and so on and so on .That way the good deed spreads out like the ripples from a pebble thrown into a pond. I knew I would be able to use the wisdom from the old Kung Fu TV series some day. ;D PM me your ship to info. ;)

TOBKOB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Way to go Bob  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
Great gesture Bob, very much like you to do such a thing. Appreciate the pass it along as well.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
Bob, ok, I will pm you. I do want to send you a nice thank you card and I will pay it forward. Doomo arigatoo gozaimashita!

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »
Hey, I found what looks like a real cobra for a '68. That is what they say, anyways. It has the part number on the back. Is the '68 cobra emblem the same one used for the '69-'70 models? They want $30. for it. The black paint on it is a little scuffed and one post on the back is missing. The chrome is in good condition.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:50:17 PM by SNAKEBIT »

Coralsnake

• Original Posts: 10,264
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
The current reproductions have all the same numbers on the back. I believe they are made by the same vendor
Shelby researcher, theCoralsnake.com webmaster, the official Conelec Public Information Officer, recovering National Concours Head Judge and Winner of “SAAC Forum’s Best Thread 2018"

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
I wonder if it is an original. It appears to be used. I know there are copies and super-copies of things, but I wonder if there is a way to confirm its age?