News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Headlights shut off at night

Started by deathsled, September 15, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I can get better illumination holding a candle up to the windshield than using the OEM stock, non-relay headlights.   :P

deathsled

Quote from: texas swede on September 19, 2018, 11:43:36 AM
One more thing, do you use the standard original sealed beam type bulbs or halogen replacements.
My experience with the halogen bulbs is they drew more current than the sealed beam type. Happened on both my 67 Shelby
and a 66 Mustang I used to own in Sweden. Many years ago though and todays halogen replacements may be quire
different.
Texas Swede
Halogen. That may explain things.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

Okay my options look like in addition to replacing the headlight switch then also changing the headlights to non halogen or alternatively putting a relay in and keeping the halogen set up after I change out the switch of course. I like the Ford scripted lights. Wonder if they are Halogen from Scott Drake. What am I faced with adding a relay? Question is how hard would it be to do myself? If I'm driving to MCACN I'll likely need headlights on the trip there and back in late November.

Best,

Richard E.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2018, 05:36:20 PM
Okay my options look like in addition to replacing the headlight switch then also changing the headlights to non halogen or alternatively putting a relay in and keeping the halogen set up after I change out the switch of course. I like the Ford scripted lights. Wonder if they are Halogen from Scott Drake. What am I faced with adding a relay? Question is how hard would it be to do myself? If I'm driving to MCACN I'll likely need headlights on the trip there and back in late November.

Best,

Richard E.
The Wagner repros that have FOMOCO etched into the glass that I have seen you could see the blue halogen bulb inside the lens from about fifty feet away. I don't think anything has changed. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Should I go with original type so I don't have to get into relays and wiring and so on therefore? Suggestions please. Thanks!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Adding the relay is not too hard, any wiring company has a diagram and most of the relay kits have instructions
Maybe someone can let us know if an already made up kit for 66 models exists
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

zray

Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2018, 05:36:20 PM
".....What am I faced with adding a relay? Question is how hard would it be to do myself? If I'm driving to MCACN I'll likely need headlights on the trip there and back in late November.....

grasshopper, Take the path of least resistance.  Contact Daniel Stern at link provided in my earlier post. His knowledge and products of all things automotive lighting are beyond superior.  You can get a relay harness, Cibie lenses, and H-4 bulbs from him with the harness ALREADY assembled, and using the best components available today ( read: all European ).  It will take you all of 30 minutes to install  if you are not 100% satisfied, he'll refund your $$$ and I'll eat my words of recommendation. 

The conversion will make night driving feel safe again, and you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Z

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2018, 07:24:03 PM
Should I go with original type so I don't have to get into relays and wiring and so on therefore? Suggestions please. Thanks!
I would changeout the headlight switch for the heavy duty 4 bulb version and see how it works with a set of halogen bulbs.  You may find that under the same circumstances with a strong heavy duty headlight switch that you don't have a problem . If it is still a problem consider going back to the non halogen . Yes we got by without them for half a century . Yes the halogens are brighter but unless you are going to drive at night often I don't think you should modify the harness or what have you unless you had to on a original Shelby. If making the lights shine as bright as the sun is your goal and that makes the most sense to you then go for it because it is your car. I just don't think it makes that much difference on a pleasure driven car . But that is just me . I know others will have a different opinion which is fine for them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

zray

it bears pointing out that installing a relay harness,  H-4 headlight lenses, and H-4 bulbs lighting does not involve cutting or splicing the original harness in any way, and is 100% reversible if desired.  If original appearance under the hood is important, the (small) HL relay can be easily hidden .  Night driving is  greatly enhanced, with minimal effort and expense.

As Bob correctly points out, we, and these fine cars, did survive without these semi-modern lighting improvements. But with much more to lose these days, it does seem prudent to take some steps to keep the darkness as far away as possible. 

Z

PS:  After having Halogens for several years, I do agree that the switch to them is just a minimal improvement. Only after putting in the H-4 lenses & bulbs was I comfortable driving my GT350 at night .  YMMV.

deathsled

Thank you gentlemen.  I will explore all avenues.  I read though that if I use the 1969 switch that I have to change out the headlight pull stem and it changes the look of the headlight switch on the dash.  Not crazy about that idea.  I also watched a youtube on relay installation by CJ Pony and they drilled into the headlight bucket to ground the relay.  That won't work for me.  Either way, I will need lights to drive out to the Donald E Stephens Convention Center to get the car in the show.  I must say that Bob Gaines is becoming a compelling force on whatever I do on my car.  Hard to resist not falling in line with his knowledge and penchant for perfection.  I've never met Bob, don't know what he looks like, but I hear in my mind what I perceive to be his voice when I am doing something non conforming to originality.  Then I feel a bit guilty, letting him down.  It's weird.

Best,

Richard E.

zray

FWIW, my relay ground wire was a wire (blk)  eyelet that went under the solenoid bolt. Unobtrusive, and definately no holes drilled anywhere. That would be unacceptable to me as well. A lousy idea, and to put it in an instruction video, just dumb.

Z

deathsled

Well since all the wiring is new from the restoration (no not painless but concours type replacement harnesses so I'm told and requested during the assembly) I will lean in toward doing a relay.  But I'm still checking out original type bulb options because this car is rarely driven at night...so once again, Mr. Gaines is the default.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2018, 11:26:43 PM
Thank you gentlemen.  I will explore all avenues.  I read though that if I use the 1969 switch that I have to change out the headlight pull stem and it changes the look of the headlight switch on the dash.  Not crazy about that idea.  I also watched a youtube on relay installation by CJ Pony and they drilled into the headlight bucket to ground the relay.  That won't work for me.  Either way, I will need lights to drive out to the Donald E Stephens Convention Center to get the car in the show.  I must say that Bob Gaines is becoming a compelling force on whatever I do on my car.  Hard to resist not falling in line with his knowledge and penchant for perfection.  I've never met Bob, don't know what he looks like, but I hear in my mind what I perceive to be his voice when I am doing something non conforming to originality.  Then I feel a bit guilty, letting him down.  It's weird.

Best,

Richard E.
I will be at the show. I look forward to meeting .It is just good karma to try and help. I will pm you my cell number . 

zray

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 02, 2018, 01:51:40 AMI will be at the show. I look forward to meeting .It is just good karma to try and help.

^^^^^^^ ++++

As "a" good book says, " "...it's better to give than receive..."  Certinly "getting" is a blast, but "giving" takes satisfaction to a whole new level.

Z

deathsled

Looking forward to meet all in attendance. Thanks!