News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Headlights shut off at night

Started by deathsled, September 15, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Quote from: zray on September 19, 2018, 12:26:54 AM
With a little creativity, one can install a headlight relay and have be nearly undetectable. A relay will let all the headlight current bypass the problematic Ford switch, and even stock lighting will be substantially brighter, if that's an important consideration.

I drove my GT350's at night frequently, so a H–4 headlight conversion was a must have. The Cibie H-4 lenses have a very pleasing convex curve to them, very period looking, and the light pattern is outstanding without blinding oncoming traffic.

Daniel Stern has the best quality relay harnesse, available in a kit form, or totally assembled. He also carries all the H-4 lighting upgrades one could ever wish for.  I've never asked him a lighting question that he couldn't answer. A real professional.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Z
Okay I contacted Stern by email. (Don't tell Mr. Gaines).
I looked at a pair of original sealed bulbs but they were not functional...still considering all original though.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: deathsled on October 02, 2018, 11:38:35 AM
Looking forward to meet all in attendance. Thanks!
It looks like a great time, cant wait to see all the Shelby's
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Brant

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 01, 2018, 06:23:33 PM
Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2018, 05:36:20 PM
Okay my options look like in addition to replacing the headlight switch then also changing the headlights to non halogen or alternatively putting a relay in and keeping the halogen set up after I change out the switch of course. I like the Ford scripted lights. Wonder if they are Halogen from Scott Drake. What am I faced with adding a relay? Question is how hard would it be to do myself? If I'm driving to MCACN I'll likely need headlights on the trip there and back in late November.

Best,

Richard E.
The Wagner repros that have FOMOCO etched into the glass that I have seen you could see the blue halogen bulb inside the lens from about fifty feet away. I don't think anything has changed.

The reproduction Halogens that have the molded in glass FoMoCo logo now have a silver tip element. When they first were introduced, they were blue.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Brant on October 02, 2018, 01:43:12 PM
Okay my options look like in addition to replacing the headlight switch then also changing the headlights to non halogen or alternatively putting a relay in and keeping the halogen set up after I change out the switch of course. I like the Ford scripted lights. Wonder if they are Halogen from Scott Drake. What am I faced with adding a relay? Question is how hard would it be to do myself? If I'm driving to MCACN I'll likely need headlights on the trip there and back in late November.

Best,

Richard E.
The Wagner repros that have FOMOCO etched into the glass that I have seen you could see the blue halogen bulb inside the lens from about fifty feet away. I don't think anything has changed.

The reproduction Halogens that have the molded in glass FoMoCo logo now have a silver tip element. When they first were introduced, they were blue.
I am glad to hear that they are addressing the short comings. Wish they next would use GE which was a OEM mfg back in the day instead of Wagner which was not under that name.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

I ordered the relay and Cibie headlights from Daniel Stern as my car becomes more and more like a Mad Max post apocalyptic Shelby. I'll let all with interest know how it turns out (or doesn't turn out).

Best,

Richard
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Brant on October 02, 2018, 01:43:12 PM

Best,

Richard E.

I neglected to mention this before but thought I would mention before I forget again but the SJ Shelby cars built in 65,66,and 67 did not use a Westinghouse headlight bulb which was the only brand that had the molded FOMOCO trademark in the glass. The FOMOCO etched in the glass is the typically appropriate bulb used in those years at those plants for what ever reason . For that matter I have never found the Westinghouse bulbs used on 68 or 69/70 Shelby's ether. Has anyone else?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby