News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Headlights shut off at night

Started by deathsled, September 15, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Driving to get gas this evening, my headlights shut off and I was able to get them back on again by shutting off the switch and turning them on again.  They did it a couple more times.  I am suspecting problem is in the headlight switch on the dash?  Maybe some corrosion?  Or a bad switch?  Any input is valued.  Thanks.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on September 15, 2018, 09:40:34 PM
Driving to get gas this evening, my headlights shut off and I was able to get them back on again by shutting off the switch and turning them on again.  They did it a couple more times.  I am suspecting problem is in the headlight switch on the dash?  Maybe some corrosion?  Or a bad switch?  Any input is valued.  Thanks.

Richard E.
It sounds like the headlight switch. Shutting it off allows it to cool down temporarily so the breaker can reset.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tesgt350

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 15, 2018, 09:49:01 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 15, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Richard E.
It sounds like the headlight switch. Shutting it off allows it to cool down temporarily so the breaker can reset.

+1000

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Find an NOS switch or it all else fails, a 1970 NOS switch ( it used 4 headlamps rather than 2)
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

I will do so.  Thank you gentlemen!

69mach351w

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on September 15, 2018, 10:06:24 PM
Find an NOS switch or it all else fails, a 1970 NOS switch ( it used 4 headlamps rather than 2)
It's the 69 Mustang with 4 headlamps, not the 70 ;)

sfm5s081

My voltage regulator was going and they would flicker on and off, and then off. Yes, I checked the switch as well.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: 69mach351w on September 15, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on September 15, 2018, 10:06:24 PM
It's the 69 Mustang with 4 headlamps, not the 70 ;)
I am old and senile, you are right (I personally think the 69 is one of the best looking ones around)
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

zray

With a little creativity, one can install a headlight relay and have be nearly undetectable. A relay will let all the headlight current bypass the problematic Ford switch, and even stock lighting will be substantially brighter, if that's an important consideration.

I drove my GT350's at night frequently, so a H–4 headlight conversion was a must have. The Cibie H-4 lenses have a very pleasing convex curve to them, very period looking, and the light pattern is outstanding without blinding oncoming traffic.

Daniel Stern has the best quality relay harnesse, available in a kit form, or totally assembled. He also carries all the H-4 lighting upgrades one could ever wish for.  I've never asked him a lighting question that he couldn't answer. A real professional.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Z

Quote from: zray on September 19, 2018, 12:26:54 AM
With a little creativity, one can install a headlight relay and have be nearly undetectable. A relay will let all the headlight current bypass the problematic Ford switch, and even stock lighting will be substantially brighter, if that's an important consideration.

I drove my GT350's at night frequently, so a H–4 headlight conversion was a must have. The Cibie H-4 lenses have a very pleasing convex curve to them, very period looking, and the light pattern is outstanding without blinding oncoming traffic.

Daniel Stern has the best quality relay harnesse, available in a kit form, or totally assembled. He also carries all the H-4 lighting upgrades one could ever wish for.  I've never asked him a lighting question that he couldn't answer. A real professional.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Z

Thanks!

texas swede

This is a very common problem on 67 Shelbys. 4 head lights but the standard 12A switch from the Mustang.
Should have been changed in the DSO to the 18A 4 head lamp switch at the factory in my humble opinion.
I replaced mine to the 69 Mustang switch and that solved the problem.

Texas Swede

deathsled

Lol! I clicked on this thread just now at 289 views. I will look into the voltage regulator then and perhaps a 69 or 70 switch. It has to be something and the truth is out there if I may quote an X Files line...

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on September 19, 2018, 09:56:13 AM
Lol! I clicked on this thread just now at 289 views. I will look into the voltage regulator then and perhaps a 69 or 70 switch. It has to be something and the truth is out there if I may quote an X Files line...
How ever you proceed I would suggest that any changes be done one at a time so you can determine the offending system. Because of the way the regulator circuit operates and what with the observed symptom of the head lights completely going out and not just flickering it is very doubtful IMO the regulator is the source of the problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Thank you Bob. I will defer to your suggestion and start with the switch first and go from there. I am a total novice at automotive electronics I will admit.

texas swede

One more thing, do you use the standard original sealed beam type bulbs or halogen replacements.
My experience with the halogen bulbs is they drew more current than the sealed beam type. Happened on both my 67 Shelby
and a 66 Mustang I used to own in Sweden. Many years ago though and todays halogen replacements may be quire
different.
Texas Swede