Author Topic: radio upgrade  (Read 3191 times)

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
radio upgrade
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
Has anyone done a radio conversion to modern specs and kept the stock appearance? I see several companies advertising a variety of ways to do this including some with a complete new face. If you have done this what did you use and are you satisfied with the result. Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: radio upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
Has anyone done a radio conversion to modern specs and kept the stock appearance? I see several companies advertising a variety of ways to do this including some with a complete new face. If you have done this what did you use and are you satisfied with the result. Thanks
Over the years I have bought radios that already had been converted.  Of the ones that I am familiar with they retained the stock face . It is a waste of money if you do not retain the stock face IMHO. The more powerful amps and Bluetooth to link a playlist too adds a lot versatility to a pleasure driven car IMO. I purchased already converted radios for just a little more then what I could buy a good used stock radio for. I had the advantage of anticipating usage in the future when I bought them . They seldom come around available at the same time that you need them at least for me. For those that don't have the advantage of time I can see converting a existing radio as the best choice.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »
Hey Charlie,

I have not done this, but considering the same thing.  R&B is one such shop.  He shows in the following video a conversion that he did to a classic mustang radio.
What are you considering for speakers?  I  purchased the dual cone pioneer speaker for the dash, but may add some kick panel speakers as they are the easiest to install without modifications. 

http://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/RandBVintageAutoRadio/Radio_Conversion.html

Ron

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:51:19 PM »
Hey Charlie,

I have not done this, but considering the same thing.  R&B is one such shop.  He shows in the following video a conversion that he did to a classic mustang radio.
What are you considering for speakers?  I  purchased the dual cone pioneer speaker for the dash, but may add some kick panel speakers as they are the easiest to install without modifications. 

http://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/RandBVintageAutoRadio/Radio_Conversion.html

Ron

That’s awesome! I had no idea. Thanks for the link!
Nothing beats a classic!

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
Hey Guys, thanks for the information! Great video link. I was considering using Retro Sound in Elizabethtown PA as they are close to me.-- http://www.retroradio.biz/about.html. I was planning on keeping it pretty basic with just a new in dash speaker. I would use the FM band more than anything else, but the iPod is a nice add. The video from Tennessee is great. Interesting how he configured the selection of inputs. Doing a little more research. Will let you know when I make a decision.
Charlie D

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
  Sub-modification:  Stock Fomoco radio (yeah well it is a 67 AM/FM).  Can anyone recomend who to have add an electric antenna up/down switch onto one of the regular radio knobs?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
  Sub-modification:  Stock Fomoco radio (yeah well it is a 67 AM/FM).  Can anyone recomend who to have add an electric antenna up/down switch onto one of the regular radio knobs?
Your killing me  :o ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
^^^Bob I don't think he's asking for the car you might be thinking of, but for a different - non-original car
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
^^^Bob I don't think he's asking for the car you might be thinking of, but for a different - non-original car
That would be my hope.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 10:02:55 AM »
 Cough...cough...Lil'Red gunna need one too, eh?

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
I just called them and sent an email and had a call back with in twenty minutes. Very nice fellow to talk with and I will be sending my 67' AM radio this winter for a conversion. As it stands my AM has never worked, so it's not a bad investment at this point. He sounds top notch to me. There are a few levels to choose from starting at 435.00 up to 635.00 I think. The plug in ports are in the rear too, so it should still retain stock appearance out front.

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 06:34:44 AM »
Hey rc. which company did you call?

rcgt350

• View Profile