News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hood pin plates

Started by BGlover67, September 16, 2018, 09:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT350Lad

Quote from: TLea on September 17, 2018, 06:46:52 PM
Or you could make it truly 100% original and just let the scratches occur as they would've back in 1967 even at the dealer

So true
6S373
6S1276

BGlover67

Quote from: GT350Lad on September 18, 2018, 04:22:23 AM
Or you could make it truly 100% original and just let the scratches occur as they would've back in 1967 even at the dealer

So true

That actually makes me feel much better, hearing that I'm not the only one with this problem. :)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

SNAKEBIT

I used to think about that when I had my '69 Super Bee.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on September 18, 2018, 06:41:25 AM

So true

That actually makes me feel much better, hearing that I'm not the only one with this problem. :)
It is only when you try to keep the car in as perfect of condition as possible that it becomes a problem . It is a good habit to get into properly attaching the click pins especially if you want to show respect for someone else's car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 24, 2018, 05:53:32 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on September 18, 2018, 06:41:25 AM

So true

It is only when you try to keep the car in as perfect of condition as possible that it becomes a problem . It is a good habit to get into properly attaching the click pins especially if you want to show respect for someone else's car.

+1

I suggest that you always let the owner work the click pins and open the hood of their own car. This should eliminate the possibility that you will get blamed if new scratches are found.

I always do this on my car. Even though the plates already have some marring, I don't see any reason to add to that.

Steve

kingchief

Here is a picture from Forum 1.0 I remember saving.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

JD

^^^ just for reference - the orientation of the plate rivets and angle of the hood pin in the image above are not correct for a '67 Shelby (not sure about '65 or '66 cars).  The rivets for a '67 should be at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock or N, E, S an W.

See attached...the model is in front of the car and the red arrow is pointing towards the center of the hood - the direction of the hood pin.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BGlover67

FYI, that's JD recreating the early '67 photo shoot.  Not sure where he found that pants suite, but now he's certainly ready for this year's Halloween.  ???
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

papa scoops

the problem with 67 plates being at n e s w, what if you angle park the car? where does the white go when the snow melts? phred

JD

Quote from: BGlover67 on September 25, 2018, 01:31:16 PM
FYI, that’s JD recreating the early ‘67 photo shoot.  Not sure where he found that pants suite, but now he’s certainly ready for this year’s Halloween.  ???

actually that's Nick with wig
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

kingchief

Correct.  I believe the orientation I posted was for a '66.  I just wanted to illustrate how a milk carton protection plate might work.

Steve
SFM 6S406

SNAKEBIT

The milk carton is a good idea. You can find some flat, clear plastic on items from retail stores all over. I'd go with the clear ones or use some clear, thin sheeting, like from the cardboard-backed poster frames.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kingchief on September 25, 2018, 04:38:45 PM
Correct.  I believe the orientation I posted was for a '66.  I just wanted to illustrate how a milk carton protection plate might work.

Steve
With all due respect to your well intentioned effort the picture also illustrates how horrible the plastic disc looks with rough edges milky appearance etc. on even a well used driver quality car let alone a restored car IMO . Why would you use the obtrusive plastic disc if you didn't have to? It is not like it makes the car look better. Is it just me or does that not make the car look worse in appearance compared to not using it? 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

Yeah, Mr. Gaines, I think I may agree with using the plastic. If the pins are inserted carefully and not jabbed-in, a little bit of scuffing from driving around, is part of the car as it should be, unless you want a show car. Right. Correct.