News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Brushed Aluminum Refinishing

Started by greekz, January 24, 2018, 04:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekz

Looking to have my aluminum pieces refinished.  Where is the best place to send them?  I do not think the old data is available.

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on January 24, 2018, 04:14:12 PM
Looking to have my aluminum pieces refinished.  Where is the best place to send them?  I do not think the old data is available.

Thanks,

Greek
I would not waste the time or money.  I have yet to see some refinished that didn't look like they were. I think you will be disappointed . I think you would be better served by using the Burton reproduced alternative. Those typically look closer to original then a refinished panel. Just my opinion others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

motorhead428

While looking for some other parts on the net. I found a company called Classic auto reproductions.com They have brushed aluminum pieces for the 67 deluxe interior. I was going to look at prior post to see if anyone had used their products and could give feedback on the quality and finish, can't do that now. Has anyone had any experience with Classic Auto Reproduction Brushed Aluminum interior pieces ?

While on this subject, are all reproduced deluxe padded door panels created equally or is one better than the others?

greekz

I would not waste the time or money.  I have yet to see some refinished that didn't look like they were. I think you will be disappointed . I think you would be better served by using the Burton reproduced alternative. Those typically look closer to original then a refinished panel. Just my opinion others may have different.
[/quote]

Would you say Burton reproductions are better than reproduction panels from the late 1980's?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on January 24, 2018, 11:56:43 PM

Would you say Burton reproductions are better than reproduction panels from the late 1980's?
[/quote]The only ones I can think of from the late 80's time period was "Mr G's" and yes anything on the market today is better then those rough panels that looked like they were finished by rubbing on a concrete sidewalk back then . The Burton ones are sold with the steel backing with the bend over tabs to work in the original panels . They are better then some of the ones that came on the Ford service gauge bezels . They sell the door panels also . There are others that are nice too but I have had good luck with the Burton. For those reading whenever you buy the panels regardless of which you buy you can't get by with just buying one like a gauge bezel and not the others. You have to buy all across the dash otherwise they will not match. It is easy to distinguish the difference between a change in brush finish.  You can get by with not doing the door inserts if you don't need to because they are not next to the dash . The dash pieces on the other hand are butted up to each other and it is easy to see any difference between them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

To get a complete set, do you buy from Burton directly?

They seem to run a store on eBay if it is the same burton.

greekz

Harris Speedster

Quote from: 2112 on January 25, 2018, 03:02:53 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Good question,
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on January 25, 2018, 03:02:53 AM

I have always bought direct. I think some of the high profile Mustang vendors sell them also but you would have to ask.

stangman39

For the deluxe door panels (not the brushed pieces) would other agree TMI are the best ones?

Fast Fords

I bought my brushed aluminum dash from Burton's and was happy with them. The only complaint I had was around the blinkers and the high beam light indicator, they did not have the raised chrome piece that surrounds these like the originals have. They may do this know but I am not sure. Otherwise, they are nice.

Quote from: stangman39 on January 26, 2018, 08:05:07 AM
For the deluxe door panels (not the brushed pieces) would other agree TMI are the best ones?

I can't find the correct panel for our car with their upgraded backing

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on January 26, 2018, 10:33:54 AM
I bought my brushed aluminum dash from Burton's and was happy with them. The only complaint I had was around the blinkers and the high beam light indicator, they did not have the raised chrome piece that surrounds these like the originals have. They may do this know but I am not sure. Otherwise, they are nice.
The brushed panel does not have the edge. It is the plastic chrome panel that has the edge. I knew they had a problem at one time where they were making the triangle cut out too small and covering the raised edge on the dash bezel. The cut out is supposed to be large enough to fit over the raised edge letting it protrude out from under the panel. I have reports that this has been taken care of .If it hasn't bring it to their attenion so they can make it right. This raised edge or lip protruding through the brush panel is a detail well look for in concours judging.