News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Brushed Aluminum Refinishing

Started by greekz, January 24, 2018, 04:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on January 26, 2018, 10:33:54 AM
I bought my brushed aluminum dash from Burton's and was happy with them. The only complaint I had was around the blinkers and the high beam light indicator, they did not have the raised chrome piece that surrounds these like the originals have. They may do this know but I am not sure. Otherwise, they are nice.
The brushed panel does not have the edge. It is the plastic chrome panel that has the edge. I knew they had a problem at one time where they were making the triangle cut out too small and covering the raised edge on the dash bezel. The cut out is supposed to be large enough to fit over the raised edge letting it protrude out from under the panel. I have reports that this has been taken care of .If it hasn't bring it to their attention so they can make it right. This raised edge or lip protruding through the brush panel is a detail well look for in concours judging.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jim mac

Just as a comment for those looking at the Burton brushed aluminum door panels.  They make only one version as far as I know, the later version.  I know at one time a few years ago they were considering making the earlier version, but I have not seen it.  Others on the forum may know more.  For what it is worth, I have them on my car and they look good and fit perfectly.

Jim
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jim mac on January 26, 2018, 01:33:16 PM
Just as a comment for those looking at the Burton brushed aluminum door panels.  They make only one version as far as I know, the later version.  I know at one time a few years ago they were considering making the earlier version, but I have not seen it.  Others on the forum may know more.  For what it is worth, I have them on my car and they look good and fit perfectly.

Jim
+1. As far as I know they haven't made up the early panels .Maybe if enough people committed to buying a pair they would.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Since I am in need of redoing my interior where is the so called cutoff for early or late I'm car 1189... Thanks

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 2112 on January 26, 2018, 12:53:03 AM
Seems they prefer Facebook and eBay

https://www.facebook.com/Burtonantiqueautoparts

http://www.burtonantiqueautoparts.com

Thanks for sharing!  I believe this is where my dash restorer is getting the ancillary pieces for me after refinishing my original gauge dash (center strip and side dash pieces, as well as the door pieces).  My understanding is that when you order all the pieces together (dash and door) they cut it all in succession from the same spool; which really makes for a nice visual transition as you pan across the interior, as well as a complete match across all.
Nothing beats a classic!

rcgt350

Did the finish of their pieces change since around 2008? I ordered a set of brushed inserts back then and had to return them as they were so far off of originals. They were quite glossy, a darker shade and didn't have that sharp look of silver to them. Has anyone ever come across this? He was very good about returning though.
Randy

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on January 28, 2018, 09:49:25 AM
Did the finish of their pieces change since around 2008? I ordered a set of brushed inserts back then and had to return them as they were so far off of originals. They were quite glossy, a darker shade and didn't have that sharp look of silver to them. Has anyone ever come across this? He was very good about returning though.
Randy
I haven't experienced that problem or heard of anyone recently who has that has used them fortunatly. I have not seen anyone who reproduces these dash trim panels get the sheen 100%. The originals were Brite Dip anodized (different then regular anodizing) just like exterior aluminum trim (68 wheel lip molding, 66 1/4 windows) is done. All the repro panels I have seen use a different process (clear coat paint?) that is shinier then original.

roddster

JimMac is correct.  If you have an early car, you are out of luck as the difference is where the forward edge is cut at the top corner. 
  Waiting for the early/late cut-off declaration.  Would be good to know.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on January 29, 2018, 11:06:52 AM
JimMac is correct.  If you have an early car, you are out of luck as the difference is where the forward edge is cut at the top corner. 
  Waiting for the early/late cut-off declaration.  Would be good to know.
My best guess based on observations would be later Dec 66 and no later then end of Jan 67 .At least until more compelling evidence suggest otherwise.

lawrence67

Is it safe to say these are SJ Ford dates not SA as this would have been done by Ford?
PL

JD

Quote from: lawrence on January 29, 2018, 12:43:38 PM
Is it safe to say these are SJ Ford dates not SA as this would have been done by Ford?
PL

Yes, San Jose
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

motorhead428

Does anyone Have picture of Early vs Late brushed Aluminum pieces for comparison. Mine is a 12/01/1966 production date from SJ. I will try to get it out of storage and post a picture soon.

Do the Burton door panels have the tabs already installed (I haven't taken one apart).

Do the Burton door panels have the tabs already installed (I haven't taken one apart).

Bob Gaines

Yes, they have the tabs just like original.