News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

San Jose Firewall Pad question

Started by 6s1640, September 21, 2018, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

This should be an easy one, but wanted to confirm.  Is the 1966 Mustang firewall pad different from the Dearborn and Metuchen pads?  I believe so, but wanted to confirm.

I believe the San Jose pad has the lump pattern and the Dearborn and Metuchen are just rough and random pattern.  Does that sound right?  How would you describe the differences?

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

Yes San Jose firewall pads are typically different on the visible surface when compared to typical Dearborn and NJ firewall pads in 66.

San Jose pads are sometimes described as "pimpled" "dimpled" or ones with the visible pattern. Sort of a reverse staggered pegboard surface

For 65 there are a number of versions while during regular 66 production only one version was used - differences in where and if there was a cut out for the AC hoses

66 San Jose

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

Thank you.  I have also heard the San Jose firewall pad with "goosebumps".

Take care

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on September 21, 2018, 05:37:22 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thank you.  I have also heard the San Jose firewall pad with "goosebumps".

Take care

Cory
Whether "goosebumps " or the more common referred to "dimples" . The random spray texture of the Dearborn and or Metuchen firewall pad is 100 times easier IMO to repair and duplicate then the specific ordered pattern of the San Jose dimpled pad. The San Jose pad is much harder to find compared to the Dearborn/Metuchen pad overall or outside CA areas.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Iceman on September 24, 2018, 09:14:59 AM
This seller has more than one....

Just have to pick out the correct version for your application ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge