News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Power Steering Hoses

Started by Shelby_r_b, September 22, 2018, 10:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

I know this question was asked and answered on the old forum, but what is the best place to get power steering hoses for an early 67 Shelby GT350?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on September 22, 2018, 10:18:37 AM
I know this question was asked and answered on the old forum, but what is the best place to get power steering hoses for an early 67 Shelby GT350?

Thanks!
A loaded question as stated. I suppose that depends on if you are wanting new reproduction hoses or original new or used hoses. Also maybe how close to original and condition expectations as well. A lot of possible answers unless you narrow it down IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

bhoulis

+1 on the Blue Dots. If it's true that "time is money", then these are money well spent.

Brian

Bob Gaines

The Blue Dots are the best reproduction by far if you are going that route. Just one of the choices. I provided the 67 cores to Blue Dot back when to make them with. Unfortunately even thought the 67 lower return hose is different in shape then the 68 they chose to not make it because the 68 version was close enough.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Two more questions - it's my understanding that regular "roll" stock was used for the hoses going to and from the cooler.  Is there any specific roll stock to be used for concours judging?  Also, are the crimp style clamps safe for daily driving?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

There are some threads with relevant content to this... in the upper right SEARCH box/filed  type "power steering" with the quotes. ;-)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on September 24, 2018, 10:30:35 AM
Two more questions - it's my understanding that regular "roll" stock was used for the hoses going to and from the cooler.  Is there any specific roll stock to be used for concours judging?  Also, are the crimp style clamps safe for daily driving?

Thanks!
The hose should be the the correct slightly larger outside diameter then typical 3/8 hose and with smooth no texture outside surface. Those are the specifics. Yes crimp clamps have lasted 50 years on many driven cars so that should be a testament to their durability. 

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: JD on September 24, 2018, 10:36:47 AM
There are some threads with relevant content to this... in the upper right SEARCH box/filed  type "power steering" with the quotes. ;-)

I tried to look, and all that came up were my recent posts.  :)

Are you referring to the old forum?  I believe there was a lot written at the time.
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 24, 2018, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: Shelby_0022 on September 24, 2018, 10:30:35 AM

Thanks!
The hose should be the the correct slightly larger outside diameter then typical 3/8 hose and with smooth no texture outside surface. Those are the specifics. Yes crimp clamps have lasted 50 years on many driven cars so that should be a testament to their durability.

Thanks as always, Bob!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Sorry - a few more questions to make things concourse correct on hoses and connections within the PS circuit:

- From what I'm seeing, the pressure hose coming off the back of the PS pump is unique to Shelbys and has B-nuts on both ends with the upper end having a very significant bend - first attached picture
- This pressure hose then goes down to a "connecting block" where it threads into another pressure hose that goes to the PS control valve and threads into the control valve - this hose has metal looping around it for protection - second picture attached
- The return hose from the PS control valve has an end that threads into the control valve, followed by a piece of aluminum pipe attached to the hose that also has metal looping around it and terminates with a place to crimp another rubber hose heading up to the cooler - third picture attached
  -- Does this sound correct?  And, is a crimp style clamp correct for connecting these two hoses?
- The return hose continues up to the cooler and has a larger piece of hose (for lack of a better term) around it to protect the hose where it crosses the driver's side frame rail, and then the hose crimps to the cooler on the front of the radiator support - this is "normal stock" hose
- The final hose crimps to the other output of the cooler forward of the radiator support and runs back to the pump where a "unique" clamp secures it to the pump - also "normal stock" hose
-- Is this the correct clamp for this application - fourth picture attached
- The two "normal stock" hoses usually have 1 zip tie holding them together as they are about 6 inches from entering the radiator support

Sorry for all the questions!  I tried looking this up in the assembly manuals, but they didn't help much at all.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on September 24, 2018, 06:02:53 PM
Sorry - a few more questions to make things concourse correct on hoses and connections within the PS circuit:

- From what I'm seeing, the pressure hose coming off the back of the PS pump is unique to Shelbys and has B-nuts on both ends with the upper end having a very significant bend - first attached picture
- This pressure hose then goes down to a "connecting block" where it threads into another pressure hose that goes to the PS control valve and threads into the control valve - this hose has metal looping around it for protection - second picture attached
- The return hose from the PS control valve has an end that threads into the control valve, followed by a piece of aluminum pipe attached to the hose that also has metal looping around it and terminates with a place to crimp another rubber hose heading up to the cooler - third picture attached
  -- Does this sound correct?  And, is a crimp style clamp correct for connecting these two hoses?
- The return hose continues up to the cooler and has a larger piece of hose (for lack of a better term) around it to protect the hose where it crosses the driver's side frame rail, and then the hose crimps to the cooler on the front of the radiator support - this is "normal stock" hose
- The final hose crimps to the other output of the cooler forward of the radiator support and runs back to the pump where a "unique" clamp secures it to the pump - also "normal stock" hose
-- Is this the correct clamp for this application - fourth picture attached
- The two "normal stock" hoses usually have 1 zip tie holding them together as they are about 6 inches from entering the radiator support

Sorry for all the questions!  I tried looking this up in the assembly manuals, but they didn't help much at all.

Thanks!
I don't know what aluminum pipe you are talking about. There is no aluminum pipe used anywhere in the system. Both the return line and the pressure line are secured as they pass by the body of the control valve with a special large diameter pinch clamp (screw clamp on much later post April/May 67?). The small crimp clamps are used at the cooler ,pump and return lin .  All connection points.  The clamps you show where used in 68 not 67.

Shelby_r_b

Sorry, Bob.  I wasn't very good in my description.  What I meant was that the hoses I mentioned were crimped to a metal tube versus the hole assembly being all rubber hose - does that make sense?

So, to confirm, the small crimp clamps are used to connect the return hose coming off the control valve to the "stock" hose (e.g., no connectors in either end), both hose connections at the cooler, and then as the return hose connects to the back of the PS pump - correct?

And, thanks for the heads up on the clamp to be installed on the control valve.  Does the attached look close, or is there a different one that should be installed?

Thanks!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

The clamp shown in the second and third of Bob's images above is what you are looking for - a unique piece.  Don't know of any one reproducing those, hard to find a useable original.  Most are/were destroyed on removal.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0