News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Starter gear to ring gear clearance

Started by bhoulis, September 22, 2018, 12:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhoulis

Posted the same question on CMF so I'll cover my options here too. 67 GT350. 4spd. Using a RAM 157 tooth flywheel, model 1527, stock replacement type as sold by NPD. Ring gear is stepped back 3/8" on the flywheel. Front of ring gear is 11/16" back from the starter mounting surface (block plate). I currently have an older NAPA rebuilt starter that has barely been used. When I measure from the mounting surface of the starter to the edge of the drive gear it's appears to be the same 11/16", maybe a few thousandths less. To me that seems extremely close. Is there a spec for this clearance? Any input welcome. Thanks.

Brian

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bhoulis on September 22, 2018, 12:21:35 PM
Posted the same question on CMF so I'll cover my options here too. 67 GT350. 4spd. Using a RAM 157 tooth flywheel, model 1527, stock replacement type as sold by NPD. Ring gear is stepped back 3/8" on the flywheel. Front of ring gear is 11/16" back from the starter mounting surface (block plate). I currently have an older NAPA rebuilt starter that has barely been used. When I measure from the mounting surface of the starter to the edge of the drive gear it's appears to be the same 11/16", maybe a few thousandths less. To me that seems extremely close. Is there a spec for this clearance? Any input welcome. Thanks.

Brian
Can you post a side profile picture of the starter nose end of the starter ? That might give some insight to the problem. Yes it seems close.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67350#1242

You've probably checked this but is the starter gear fully retracted on the shaft?
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB