Author Topic: Front sway bar size & bushings  (Read 2846 times)

shelby001

• View Profile
Front sway bar size & bushings
« on: September 23, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
 Looking to find out the width of the OEM  bushing bracket having problems installing polly bushing I believe they are to wide. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Front sway bar size & bushings
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
Looking to find out the width of the OEM  bushing bracket having problems installing polly bushing I believe they are to wide. Any help would be appreciated.
After market poly bushings typically require a different bracket . I can't remember ever seeing any fit exact . That is why it has been a problem getting a original look up until recently when Jack at dead nuts on started selling a repro made like original . Usually the poly bushing MFG sells the brackets also or they come in a kit. They typically come with the aftermarket 1 inch sway bar that is sold .  You can always tell a after market bar compared to original by the way it is made.  The original bushings that Brant carries will fit just like they are supposed to . I doubt you will be able to tell a difference between OEM type and poly bushings.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:04:38 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
 Bob
   Is this Virgina Mustang parts that you are referring to? Ya the poly bushing are too wide & actually hit at the radius on the bar not allowing them to come together which won`t allow the bracket holes to align.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »
Bob
   Is this Virgina Mustang parts that you are referring to? Ya the poly bushing are too wide & actually hit at the radius on the bar not allowing them to come together which won`t allow the bracket holes to align.
Yes Virginia Classic Mustang should have the stock bushings ask for Brant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »

Could someone give me the width of the front sway bar bracket & the sway bar diameter from an original bracket for a 68 GT 500?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »
Sorry to say I got Brant mixed up Jack at dead nuts on . Jack sells a repro bushing for the 15/16 sway bar used on 67-70 15/16 Mustang, Shelby ,Boss sway bars.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
You might want to try MOOG K7096 sway bar bushing. That is what I have used for decades on 67-70 Shelby 15/16 sway bars. I just checked and they are less then 10.00 for a pair from Amazon.

shelby001

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
Thanks Are they split to slide over the bar ? I called Virgina & ask for Brant he was at lunch, they have the bushings but no brackets.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
Thanks Are they split to slide over the bar ? I called Virgina & ask for Brant he was at lunch, they have the bushings but no brackets.
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K7096-Sway-Bar-Bushing/dp/B000C543PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537819876&sr=8-1&keywords=moog+k7096  . The Moog ones also look identical to the factory bushings .Don't be put off by the Chrysler application mentioned in the amazon ad because it works for the Ford application.  As I corrected myself in the previous post It was Jack at dead Nuts On that had the bushings and not Brant. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:55:35 PM by Bob Gaines »

shelby001

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »

Question sway bar link bolts thread up or down I have seen both not sure which is correct but I would say thread up ? Also how do you gauge how tight they should be?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 10:01:08 PM »

Question sway bar link bolts thread up or down I have seen both not sure which is correct but I would say thread up ? Also how do you gauge how tight they should be?
You should get a set of the assemblyline manuals they a specific to 68 Mustang they will have illustrations that will answer the majority of the little questions that cost you time when you don't know the answer and have to stop, ask  and wait for a answer. With that said the direction depended on the year  in the case of 68 the threads were pointed down. I tighten until the bushings just start to visibly squeeze together.

shelby001

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »

Thanks for all your help & as for a manual I have an O.E.m  manual being mailed out yesterday, I had been think the same thing .