Author Topic: Please, tell me more about this one...  (Read 4945 times)

Arrowmach

• View Profile
Please, tell me more about this one...
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:25:58 AM »
Hi, I'm from Holland and maaaayybe I will buy a 1969/1970 Shelby. So before that's going to happen, I try to learn al lot.
I saw this nice looking car, can you tell me more according to the pictures?

https://www.gtautolounge.com/vehicle-details/1969-shelby-gt350-coupe-8b88f6e544c84253af942d8176787a75

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Please, tell me more about this one...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:08:33 AM »
Well its marked sold. That nice shinny new door tag is a bit concerning....

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »
Welcome to our group!..... My recommendation if purchasing a car stateside from Europe would be to find someone from this group that can put some (EYES ON) the car you are interested in to help you with a decision before you purchase blind. ;)

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »
At least the pass front floor has been replaced as evidenced by floor drain.  I never understood why someone wouldn’t put a correct looking patch/pan in a high dollar car.   Especially if they are leaving the other side alone.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:01:02 PM by Sfm6sxxx »

6S1114

Arrowmach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »

Why is that? Could this only be part of the restoration?

Arrowmach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
Welcome to our group!..... My recommendation if purchasing a car stateside from Europe would be to find someone from this group that can put some (EYES ON) the car you are interested in to help you with a decision before you purchase blind. ;)

Thanks!!

Well, in 4 weeks it'll arrive in Holland at the Mustang dealer. He is an enthousiast and I know the guy and trust him. I know my stuff about Mustangs (have had several) but like to lean about Shelby parts and how to recognize them.
So I can check out the car myself. For the technical things I have a good friend that knows where to look.
Off course, I can ask a Shelby fan from our Mustang club to take a look at the car when I decide to go for a Shelby.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »

Why is that? Could this only be part of the restoration?
Typically the door tag is not replaced unless it is lost or damaged beyond recognition. Ether event suggests some kind of issue in the cars past. Some issues may be trivial but others may not. At the very least the original tag is not typically given a second thought where as a repro tag always can be.  It just raises a red flag of concern. Why was it replaced?  As a concours judge a reproduction tag is a point deduction but from a practical stand point the original tag adds character in my opinion that a shiny repro tag does not. At the very least I would want to know why the tag was not included with the car? Hopefully the original tag was. If the restorer or past owner was/is that clueless to not understand it's significance what other things about the restoration was poorly compromised on? Congratulations on your new purchase I hope you do not have any unhappy surprises. We hear all too often of a buyer not doing their due diligence only to find after the sale the car was not all that it was advertised to be or represented is why the concern. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:56:35 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
Could a repro tag suggest that it might be a clever clone, a tribute car? Maybe someone stole/purchased the original tag to make a clone with a regular Mustang.  :-\ ???
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:05:43 PM by SNAKEBIT »
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Arrowmach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
At least the pass front floor has been replaced as evidenced by floor drain.  I never understood why someone wouldn’t put a correct looking patch/pan in a high dollar car.   Especially if they are leaving the other side alone.

Where do you see that the pass side is different?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Could a repro tag suggest that it might be a clever cloan, a tribute car? Maybe someone stole/purchased the original tag to make a clone with a regular Mustang.  :-\ ???

Anything is possible. My concern is if the original tag is not accounted for, it always stands the chance of reappearing sometime in the future. There is a place for a reproduction tags, but too many people replace them for the wrong reasons.

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »

Where do you see that the pass side is different?
Look at the pictures of the pass front floor.  You can see an oval hole stamped in the ribbed area that shouldn't be there.  The drivers side does not have one (and shouldn't have one).   Both sides should  only have ribs.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:46:06 PM by Sfm6sxxx »

6S1114

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »
... not sure I appreciate that link while I'm going through the forum with my kids- I have tried to get them involved with the cars and one of the things we do is read through the forum from time to time. There is a time and place for everything, and that stuff shouldn't be here. Garage poster pin ups are one thing, that's different.

Anyone else agree-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
That should be a ban-a-ble offense.  No need for that.
‘67    0029

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Seriously, something Id expect from the Chevy forum.  Do we no longer have a moderator?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
That link should be removed immediately. This has no place here and I am confident that most would agree.