Author Topic: 427 ford fe harmonic balancer  (Read 1419 times)

V8Dave

• View Profile
427 ford fe harmonic balancer
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »
Hello everyone
I hope I have posted this question in the correct area. My apologies if it is posted in the wrong place.
I am currently building a fe engine from scratch and am looking at buying a new 427 fe style harmonic balancer.
I have found two brands so far scat #sca-8009. And professional products #80009 both are the street brand rated safe to 6500 rpm non sfi approved.
They then make some slightly more expensive ones that are Sfi approved and rated good to 10000rpm well beyond my fe (6000rpm max) I believe you just change the 8 in the part number to a 9.
My question is has anyone used these brands and what was your experience?  Would you buy a sfi approved harmonic balancer instead even for a street motor? or can someone recommend a different route to go.
Thank you all very much for any help,advice or guidance you can give me.
Thank you very much
Have a nice day
Dave.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 427 ford fe harmonic balancer
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Cobra Automotive has a great reproduction of the 427 dampener. Check it out on their web site.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »
     Dave,
        The Scat dampner and Professional Products dampner are the same part. It is a nice part with the pulley being bolted on instead of being a part of the inner hub. When installed it looks close to the original and is safer than a 50+ year old part for sure. For dsimilar money , "I" would go for the part from Cobra Automotive.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
Randy and shelby Doug.
Thank you for the responses.I went on cobra automotives website today and could not find their 427 fe harmonic balancer listed anywhere? Do you have a part number or a web link you could post to the item.
All I found on their website was a professional products balancer.
Thank you all for your help.
Have a nice day
Dave

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »
Email them and see if they still have them. They are showing other FE balancers.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!