Author Topic: 67 GT350 Cooling Questions  (Read 2936 times)

T-Bone68

• View Profile
67 GT350 Cooling Questions
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »
Hi All... A couple quick questions while I have the radiator out to flush and install better drain plug.

1) Were the radiators painted semi-gloss black, similar to the engine bay? 
Radiator repair shops seem to favor a high gloss black and I just wanted to make sure I repaint correctly before putting back in.  Will add... mine is an older repro, not original FoMoCo.  20in, 2 core, has similar style tie rod and cools great, so figured worth at least maintaining until I find an original some day.

2) Are the correct hoses the stapled wire style clamp ones like pictured from VCM?
If yes, I'll swap out before putting back together.

3) Did they come originally with a spring in the bottom hose?  Or is that something people started doing later to keep the hose from collapsing?

Any help appreciated.

John
67 GT350 #2246

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 67 GT350 Cooling Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
1) Were the radiators painted semi-gloss black, similar to the engine bay?

No Painted a lacquer gloss black (just enough to fully cover) that dulled over time and with heat cycles

2) Are the correct hoses the stapled wire style clamp ones like pictured from VCM?
If yes, I'll swap out before putting back together.

Yes

3) Did they come originally with a spring in the bottom hose?  Or is that something people started doing later to keep the hose from collapsing?

Yes
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:42:23 PM »
Great.  Thank you Jeff!

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 01:15:36 AM »
Hi Jeff... just following through on your advice.  Radiator painted gloss black (although I think a bit thick) and hoses with correct wire style clamps installed.  Will keep looking for an original FoMoCo W Mo radiator and correct fan shroud some day, but its a start :)

Painting thermostat housing and bypass hose blue next per CMF thread.  Your advice is always appreciated.

John

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:18:47 AM »
I have had several SB radiators over the past few years....I guess I just buy them when I see them. If you need a 4-speed and find an AT with the correct dates, don't dismiss it.

An undamaged shroud will be the hard part to find.  A lot of non-concours owners will just use a C9 shroud since the C7 shroud is so scarce.  I have even seen people modify the C9 into a C7 part number. Since I drive my car often, I have left my mint C7 shroud in a box and use a C9.

If you need any pictures of my radiator or engine bay, let me know.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »
The cores seem to wear out. At some point, no matter how much you boil them out, you loose the cooling effect on them.

Also, you need to paint them with "radiator paint". Regular paint will hinder the heat transfer properties.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
I have had several SB radiators over the past few years....I guess I just buy them when I see them. If you need a 4-speed and find an AT with the correct dates, don't dismiss it.

An undamaged shroud will be the hard part to find.  A lot of non-concours owners will just use a C9 shroud since the C7 shroud is so scarce.  I have even seen people modify the C9 into a C7 part number. Since I drive my car often, I have left my mint C7 shroud in a box and use a C9.

If you need any pictures of my radiator or engine bay, let me know.

Could you post a photo please? Thnx
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
The cores seem to wear out. At some point, no matter how much you boil them out, you loose the cooling effect on them.

Also, you need to paint them with "radiator paint". Regular paint will hinder the heat transfer properties.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
was going to post the same thing about the paint.
You are 100% spot on Doug.

I almost think that it had a tar of some kind mixed into the paint, ?
best regards,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
Eastwood sells the appropriate special radiator paint. They sell a semigloss and a gloss. The gloss is what they start out looking like but dull down some after going through enough heat cycles. Some use the semigloss it dulls just a little more. https://www.eastwood.com/ew-radiator-black-paint-gloss-aerosol-12-oz.html
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 11:05:09 PM »

They (Western Modine) also needed a paint that would dry quickly to speed up the process so they choose lacquer gloss black originally
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Thanks guys.  Great information and always appreciated.

Thick paint - Yes, even my novice eye could see that when I picked it up from the radiator shop.  Like I said in original posting it’s a repro, so I guess a good practice piece. Fortunately, it still cools amazingly well.  When I find an original I’ll use the paint Bob suggested or send to one of the many great resources listed on this site for restoration.

C9/C7 - Thanks for the perspective Bigfoot.  I don’t feel so bad about my C9 shroud now.  Will keep looking for a C7.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions on where to get proper looking blue paint, gasket and clamps for thermostat housing.  I’ll keep searching CMF as well.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  Great information and always appreciated.

Thick paint - Yes, even my novice eye could see that when I picked it up from the radiator shop.  Like I said in original posting it’s a repro, so I guess a good practice piece. Fortunately, it still cools amazingly well.  When I find an original I’ll use the paint Bob suggested or send to one of the many great resources listed on this site for restoration.

C9/C7 - Thanks for the perspective Bigfoot.  I don’t feel so bad about my C9 shroud now.  Will keep looking for a C7.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions on where to get proper looking blue paint, gasket and clamps for thermostat housing.  I’ll keep searching CMF as well.

“Thanks for the perspective Bigfoot”?  That hurts