Author Topic: Choke cable adjustment  (Read 2517 times)

bhoulis

• View Profile
Choke cable adjustment
« on: September 25, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »
GT350. Trying to adjust my reproduction choke cable and can only get it to stop properly in one direction or the other. There seems to be a lot of slack or slop inside the spiral sheathing. The opening, or inside diameter of the spiral wrap looks to be at least twice the diameter of the wire that passes through it. If I adjust it with the choke plate open, knob pushed in, when I pull it out the choke plate closes but the knob keeps coming out, to the point of coming out of the bracket. If I adjust it with the choke plate closed, knob out, when I push it in the knob stops against the bracket but the choke plate is not open all the way. If I pull on the choke wire there's enough slack inside the spiral wrap to let the choke plate close completely. Looking at the older aftermarket choke cable that worked fine, I see that the wire is snug to the spiral wrap. With the repop, I see the cable moving around quite a bit when pulling or pushing on the knob. Seems I might need to rig some kind of spring to help pull the choke plate open all the way. Am I missing something simple here or .....? As always, thanks for any help.

Brian

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Choke cable adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
Are the old aftermarket and the new Repro the same lengths?  Sheathing and the overall length of the inner wire?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
I bought a repro choke cable from NPD last year - had the same problem you describe.
Ended up returning it and using my original.  Agree the inner cable is too small or the diameter of the sheath is too big.  The force is not effectively transferred thru the cable especially when "pushing" the choke back open.  The inner cable snakes side to side inside the sheath under pressure rather than transferring the force out the other end.
The repro looks right but doesn't work worth a damn.
Kurt.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:16:39 PM by 67350#1242 »
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Kurt. Time to put on my MacGyver hat. Score another one for the repoppers!

Brian

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 04:42:58 AM »
I bought a repro choke cable from NPD last year - had the same problem you describe.
Ended up returning it and using my original.  Agree the inner cable is too small or the diameter or the sheath is too big.  The force is not effectively transferred thru the cable especially when "pushing" the choke back open.  The inner cable snakes side to side inside the sheath under pressure rather than transferring the force out the other end.
The repro looks right but doesn't work worth a damn.
Kurt.

GT350. Trying to adjust my reproduction choke cable and can only get it to stop properly in one direction or the other. There seems to be a lot of slack or slop inside the spiral sheathing. The opening, or inside diameter of the spiral wrap looks to be at least twice the diameter of the wire that passes through it. If I adjust it with the choke plate open, knob pushed in, when I pull it out the choke plate closes but the knob keeps coming out, to the point of coming out of the bracket. If I adjust it with the choke plate closed, knob out, when I push it in the knob stops against the bracket but the choke plate is not open all the way. If I pull on the choke wire there's enough slack inside the spiral wrap to let the choke plate close completely. Looking at the older aftermarket choke cable that worked fine, I see that the wire is snug to the spiral wrap. With the repop, I see the cable moving around quite a bit when pulling or pushing on the knob. Seems I might need to rig some kind of spring to help pull the choke plate open all the way. Am I missing something simple here or .....? As always, thanks for any help.

Brian

Same here, not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. Currently adjusted so the choke plate opens completely. I did notice, at least in my case, that while the plate doesn't close proportionately to the degree of cable movement, it drops into place when I touch the accelerator.

I have the original cable but have yet to determine if it can be brought back to useful service and acceptable appearance.

DGSOH

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:04:32 AM »
I use the original cable on 5S275 but bought a new rubber hose from Dead Nuts On and an end clip from
a used heater cable. Works like a charm.
Texas Swede

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
I use the original cable on 5S275 but bought a new rubber hose from Dead Nuts On and an end clip from
a used heater cable. Works like a charm.
Texas Swede

I did the same thing several years ago on both of my cars.  Was able to buff the sheath and cable to a presentable finish.  The rubber hose from Dead Nuts On fits great.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »
  Just thinking here out loud:
  Has anyone in need checked the McMaster-Carr catalog for either raw length with cable and sheath, or, just a better fitting cable?

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »
Just finished installing the sheathing from a Holley 45-228 choke cable. It has a sheathing made from round wire whereas the repop uses a square type of wire. Taped a piece of wire to the end of the repop and pulled the cable back out. A little WD40 on the rubber covering makes it go through the firewall grommet easier. Used the repop sheath as a guide to cut the Holley piece to the proper length, then installed the bracket and rubber covering. Taped the Holley sheath to the piece of wire and used it to help guide it around all the stuff behind the dash, and back through the firewall. Used the repop knob and wire. Seems to work properly. Only downside is the knob and shaft are just a little loose and the "C" is not properly oriented. The shaft that the repop knob attaches to has a D-shaped cross section which keeps the "C" properly clocked. Might try re-adjusting it tomorrow as it's held on with a set screw. Maybe a dab pf adhesive too. This seems like it should work. Maybe this will help others with their cables.

Brian     

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:28:35 AM »
Sorry to hear the repro cables have gotten so bad. I know I have used some over the years and did not have issues like you are describing. It may be a recent development.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »
I happened to come across a 67 repro cable and a original one on my shelf. There were differences on the knob end but the armored cable housing/diameter itself and the wire inside were the same This must mean that the repro mfg has changed things within the last couple years for the worse.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby