Author Topic: Where can I get Red Oxide primer for my floors?  (Read 9510 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Where can I get Red Oxide primer for my floors?
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
I want to spray my undercarriage with red oxide primer. They are already epoxy primed/sealed and I just want the original look. I've gone to Sherwin Williams Automotive paints (a big supplier) and even looked at Eastwood's and it seems like nobody makes it anymore.  If I go on eBay I've seen a couple "off brand" gallons and who knows if they are the lighter or that dark brownish red oxide color.   Has anyone had luck tinting grey primer? Is there a national source for the correct red-oxide color? Seems like I am not having any luck in CT finding anything so far- what are you guys using?

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: Where can I get Red Oxide primer for my floors?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
the under primer color is not an exact match. each batch had a slightly different tint to it. since it is already sealed, you can even use spray cans for more control. any auto paint store should have it (lead free now of course) just remember you have to add "runs and defects" to be correct. phred

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »
Go to ppg dealer and get dp74lf. You didn't say what year/palnt you are working on so I can't tell you how to tint

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I see the spray balm can's everywhere and they look very dark compared to actual cars I've owned. I didn't check PPG and didn't know that the tones could be different so that's great to know before I do anything.  The cars I can see myself doing are a Feb 70 Metuchen car and a May 67 San Jose car.   The 70 floors could be one of the left over paint mixes (grey tones etc) but prefer the primer look and my cars are usually drivers so being exact isn't needed but close with some personal preference mixed in is always a plus.  TLEA- If there's a particular tinting I can do based on year I would like to try if you are willing to share.  Thanks again, Chris

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I see the spray balm can's everywhere and they look very dark compared to actual cars I've owned. I didn't check PPG and didn't know that the tones could be different so that's great to know before I do anything.  The cars I can see myself doing are a Feb 70 Metuchen car and a May 67 San Jose car.   The 70 floors could be one of the left over paint mixes (grey tones etc)

If your car was built at NJ then the floor would have been a red oxide base not one of the slop colored car s- that was a different plant

but prefer the primer look and my cars are usually drivers so being exact isn't needed but close with some personal preference mixed in is always a plus. 

IMHO nothing straight out of the can is going to be perfect or in some cases close. I'm guessing you don't have any original paint left that could be scanned and copied but that would be the best way of matching each cars original finish and the more quality locations the better front and back of the car

TLEA- If there's a particular tinting I can do based on year I would like to try if you are willing to share.  Thanks again, Chris

Its not based only on the year and plant but the month or week even.  Depending on both it can vary a little or allot.

Also consider that the undercarriage (firewall rearward) is a different color and or tint than from the firewall forward) 

For the San Jose 67 car just getting finished, last final touches, of an article on that - as I published for the other years and plants already posted on this site and CMF, Lots of pictures and threads over there focused on that already
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:30:55 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
For a 70 NJ car I would mix 3.5 parts DP74LF and 1 part DP90LF (black) plus hardener (hardener is 2 paint to 1 hardener)
This will get you in the range

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 11:18:48 AM »
I hate the fact there are so many little details (like variations in red oxide by year etc) that I don't know! I always appreciate the education so thanks to everyone for the feedback. After a few attempts I was able to find a paint dealer a half hour away who has the PPG primer so hopefully I can do some spraying within the next week or so!

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
Go to ppg dealer and get dp74lf. You didn't say what year/palnt you are working on so I can't tell you how to tint

+1  and tell them you need a small quantity of black tint.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 06:21:10 PM »
I hate the fact there are so many little details (like variations in red oxide by year etc) that I don't know! I always appreciate the education so thanks to everyone for the feedback. After a few attempts I was able to find a paint dealer a half hour away who has the PPG primer so hopefully I can do some spraying within the next week or so!
I actually like all the small details and the variations. I should say that, I really like learning about all the differences, the education of it all. It's fascinating and I want to learn about as many of the details, as I can. I wish to become a storehouse of Shelby knowledge someday, especially the '69-'70 convertible models. My second choice is the '68 convertible model and then, the '67 models.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 12:40:40 AM »
68 floor

shlb69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 12:41:44 AM »
more

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 03:30:11 AM »
68 floor

Nice color - all or most of the oversprays came off with the cleaning as usual. Take it that this is a NJ car. From what month if I can ask ?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 07:05:20 AM »
I'm still confused on the primer of my 68 GT350 BUT the mention of black in the primer gives me a brief flash of light on the subject.

I can't even tell you what color the drive shaft tunnel is but now black in there makes sense. It looks more like sprayed on rust and road debris. You need an artist to try to match it. Right around the parking brake cable mounting bracket, it's border line, indescribable.

Did the painters drop acid when the were working?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:44 AM »
[quoteI'm still confused on the primer of my 68 GT350 BUT the mention of black in the primer gives me a brief flash of light on the subject.

I can't even tell you what color the drive shaft tunnel is but now black in there makes sense. It looks more like sprayed on rust and road debris. You need an artist to try to match it. Right around the parking brake cable mounting bracket, it's border line, indescribable.

Did the painters drop acid when the were working?
][/quote]

Pics???

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »
I have never seen a 1968 Shelby with a sprayed black tunnel, but I have seen several cars that have black paint sprayed over the primer in the area above the rear axle housing