News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Verifying Engine is Original

Started by Tom Honegger, September 27, 2018, 05:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Honegger

This may have been covered before? How do I verify that my engine (289, '67 GT 350) and transmission is what came in the car when new? I purchased the car in 1972 from original owner and as far as I know, it is the original motor & trans, but I would like to know for sure. Where do I find the numbers and how do I get them checked?
Thanks, Tom

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Have you contacted Dave M SAAC '67 Shelby Registrar to verify the Ford VIN?

The engine (passenger side lower front area, can be very hard to see) and 4-spd trans (rear pad) both should have the Ford VIN on them.

(Tom has a double-digit car)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

If a GT500 had it's engine stamped (stenciled) where would that be located?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on September 27, 2018, 10:10:39 PM
I have never seen a GT500 engine (stenciled ). At least if your definition is the same as mine.  I am not sure you meant to use that word. Could you define that word (stencil) more ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

I heard a rumor some had it applied with paint, I assumed if correct, a stencil was used.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on September 27, 2018, 10:54:06 PM
I heard a rumor some had it applied with paint, I assumed if correct, a stencil was used.
First time hearing that one let alone ever seen that. One more urban legend I suppose. The first new different Shelby urban legend that I have heard in a few years. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on September 27, 2018, 10:10:39 PM

If your referring having the VIN painted on any part of the drivetrain- never heard of that on any car- any make  :o

Kind of stacks right up there with the rumor that 65 Shelby's were delivered to Shelby with 6 cylinder engines and then swapped out for K codes by Shelby once they got them  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: Tom Honegger on September 27, 2018, 05:12:59 PM
This may have been covered before? How do I verify that my engine (289, '67 GT 350) and transmission is what came in the car when new? I purchased the car in 1972 from original owner and as far as I know, it is the original motor & trans, but I would like to know for sure. Where do I find the numbers and how do I get them checked?
Thanks, Tom

Tom:  If your 67 is a 4 speed the Ford VIN is on the bottom of the transmission.  It's very easy to find actually.
There's a small tab with the number.

The engine VIN is a bit different.
Not all 67 GT 350 had a VIN stamped on the side of the engine.  There's "blocks" of 67 289s without a VIN and then the next 30 engines did have the VIN on the engine.
Throughout the production run there's numerous GT 350's without VINs.
Dave Mathews through his research and records will confirm this.
This has always started a heated debate on this forum.

If you send me an email I'll send you a photo of a VIN on a block as well as on the bottom of a 4 Speed transmission.

If your 289 doesn't have a VIN there might be other ways to pretty much confirm the engine.
The dates on the block?
The assembly date which is easy to view?

The dates on the heads are a very strong indication.
1967 289HP heads are very, very rare.  They're almost impossible to locate.
If the heads are dated to your 67 HP you should feel pretty good they are original to the car.

The non-stamped VIN block has it's own process to go through.
If you do not have a VIN on the block there's a good chance Dave M will confirm that it's in with 20-30 other 67s without VINS on their engines at the same time

Bret

bret@capecodmustang.com

capecodmustang.com

I've had maybe 30-40 1967 GT 500s

I've never seen a single 428PI in 1967 with a VIN on it's block or head
However, the 428PI in 1968 did have the VIN of course on their head/block.

I've seen dealers advertise a "matching number 67 GT 500" and I just know that likely they can't back up the "matching number" claim

Bret

gt350hr

+1 I've never seen a '67 GT500 block with a vin on it.

"painted/stenciled"  has to be urban myth for many reasons.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

acman63

Quote from: gt350hr on September 28, 2018, 11:35:01 AM
   +1 I've never seen a '67 GT500 block with a vin on it.

"painted/stenciled"  has to be urban myth for many reasons.

Only way to tell is by Date code for GT500
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

capecodmustang.com

I will correct one thing I stated...

About 5 years ago I owed a very early 1968 GT 500.   (double digit)
There was no VIN on the engine however it was dated perfectly to production....

And a year later I owed a second early '68 GT 500 that was the NEXT car in line and built on the exact same date.
It did not have a VIN and it was dated perfectly to the vehicle.

So back to back vehicle's that were built on the same day 50 years ago did not have a vin on it's block or head.