Author Topic: Brake Hoses -assemblyline vs service  (Read 5997 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Brake Hoses -assemblyline vs service
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
As concours Chairman and through my parts and restoration business I get a lot of questions from people that have shown their cars at SAAC or MCA  venues and wanted to know why they got deductions for nos brake hoses.  The gold hose on the left  albeit a drum brake hose is a service hose - please note the double crimp.  The hose on the right is an original off a 65 disc car - note the single crimp and the extended body of the crimped part  which makes it much easier to remove or install that version on a caliper vs the short hose which is designed for drum brake cars only.  Single Crimp  YES    Double Crimp NO   even if part is NOS Ford
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Hoses -assemblyline vs service
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
To add , the DOT required brake lines to be double crimped for safety starting in 1970. That is why you don't see any single crimped reproductions being made. There is a liability issue. All of the later Ford service parts are double crimped as well. That is how to tell if a service brake part is made before or after 1970. To add ,I believe the assemblyline hose also would have had the zinc gold (dichromate) added originally. For those reading a part has to be plated zinc silver first before the zinc dichromate (gold) is added. The zinc dicromate gold will only stick well to a zinc base like the zinc silver. The gold portion adds a extra layer of corrosion resistance which is why it is added. When the gold wears off it will leave only the silver base visible.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:30:18 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:38:31 PM »
This is also a great time to remind owners/builders that NOS does not always mean - like original assembly line parts - since often they are not one in the same as this one example shows. Spending the extra money to purchase NOS parts is not always the easy button to success and anyone considering these parts should ask for pictures, details and compare what was offered to real assembly line parts installed on the cars originally.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:52:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

polyglas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »
This is also a great time to remind owners/builders that NOS does not always mean - like original assembly line parts - since often they are not one in the same as this one example shows. Spending the extra money to purchase NOS parts is not always the easy button to success and anyone considering these parts should ask for pictures, details and compare what is offered to real assembly line parts installed on the cars originally.

Jeff, If you buy Nos Ford Parts that were produced in the same era as the car you are using them on you get assembly line date code correct parts. If you buy Ford service parts made 30 years after the car was made you may not get assembly line parts. There were thousands of Nos Ford parts made identical to the assembly line parts that Ford parts and service sold for decades after the cars were built. If the parts are in FoMoCo or Autolite box's the parts will most often  be concours correct. If the box is current look closely! I've restored 50+ Mustang & Shelby's with nos date code correct brake hoses over the past 30 years. Correct parts are available , just not in reproduction catalogs. Don't be fooled that all nos parts are not concours date code correct!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
...................Correct parts are available , just not in reproduction catalogs. Don't be fooled that all nos parts are not concours date code correct!

Think we're saying the same thing only in a different way  :)

As mentioned "NOS parts is not always the easy button to success and anyone considering these parts should ask for pictures, details and compare what was offered to real assembly line parts installed on the cars originally. "
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:53:11 PM »
Also depends on what class you're showing in. Your second word is "concours".  I do know in MCA concours driven, either is accepted.  NOS, assemblyline or reproduction.
As long as fit and funtionality are like original.

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »
Hi Guys,
6s281 has not been driven since about 1989, hope to change that in the next 24 months. Both the front and the rear brake hoses are the original single crimp, but I would obviously not trust driving with them at this point.  I have located and purchased NOS service replacement double crimp front hoses.  I will run the service replacement hoses but would really love to have the original style Single crimp. Is anyone restoring the original hoses? My ultimate goal is to restore the car initially to a high level of concourse 2, will the hoses even matter?
 Thanks very much as always, Karl
6s281
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:46:27 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
Comes down to liability issues for many shops and the cost of ramping up to make them. If someone chooses to expand and do the early cars I would grab them if done well since they may not make them for very long. Happens with the smaller, or short run businesses that often get started out as a personal need for a owner that later blossoms to a small business.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
Hi Guys,
6s281 has not been driven since about 1989, hope to change that in the next 24 months. Both the front and the rear brake hoses are the original single crimp, but I would obviously not trust driving with them at this point.  I have located and purchased NOS service replacement double crimp front hoses.  I will run the service replacement hoses but would really love to have the original style Single crimp. Is anyone restoring the original hoses? My ultimate goal is to restore the car initially to a high level of concourse 2, will the hoses even matter?
 Thanks very much as always, Karl
6s281
It depends on what you mean by restoring the hoses. You can cosmetically restore the finish of the metal ends . Of course the end result depends on how bad they are corroded to start with. People are doing that . No one I am aware of is un crimping  and replacing the rubber . If the rubber isn't cracked and you can reasonably expect that they will be fine for pleasure driving IMO.I always check to make sure they have not collasped inside the hose before use . I have a NOS single crimp rear hose. PM if interested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 11:46:30 PM »
 I appreciate the thought on running my original hoses, honestly never thought about it, definitely worth a good look.
Will the service replacement hoses be a problem in concourse level two?
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 11:59:38 PM »
I appreciate the thought on running my original hoses, honestly never thought about it, definitely worth a good look.
It depends on what service part you use.  There are different time periods service replacement parts are made they evolved over time for various reasons. Some are identical to assemblyline as has been mentioned and others that are not so much . It is hard to make a blanket statement that covers everything. It is supposed to look like assemblyline is the yardstick . Whatever makes a service part not look like assemblyline leaves it open for possible deductions depending on how far off it is.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 12:00:43 AM »

Amount of point deductions would typically be based on how far/different from originals they are. Service hoses can be different depending on when they were made. Markings on the hoses, texture or pattern of the hoses, number of crimps each can be different from assembly line its normally a weighted value based on what is seen by the judges so its often only a percentage of the total not all the points.   

But as always the choice is yours. Sort of works that way with each piece that makes up the car.  Remember you don't have to have a perfect car to win an award.

Looks like Bob and I were both writting about the same time :)

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »
Service double crimp hoses will be a full deduction in Level 1 Premier as per judges discretion.    there will be no deductions in SAAC Concours level 2 as long as the hoses replicate the original look
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »
Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for.