Author Topic: Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions  (Read 7901 times)

Fastback66

• View Profile
Re: Painting 70 GT350 Soon, Couple of Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 07:30:08 PM »
After she's painted you should also have her painted in this manner as well...

Great picture.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
I just want to confirm that these are held on via adhesive vice posts? Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
As mentioned in reply #1 . They are not held on with adhesive from the factory because they are held on with double sided tape. You can use adhesive to re apply them if in good enough condition. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
FYI replacements typically come with double sided tape also. It was good enough for a almost 50 year old install on many instances so it should be good for that many more . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
As mentioned in reply #1 . They are not held on with adhesive from the factory because they are held on with double sided tape. You can use adhesive to re apply them if in good enough condition.

Ok, great. I just wanted to ensure I understood you correctly before I started to take them off. Thanks again.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 03:56:49 AM »
Ok, great. I just wanted to ensure I understood you correctly before I started to take them off. Thanks again.

You can use some dental floss to run behind the emblems and cut the tape then remove the emblems. Sometimes a little heat from a hair drier helps ;)

Reduces the chance of doing any damage.  Done it on new cars often also - removing emblems and such
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

sc4248

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
 And by all means paint it Calypso Coral.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
  Or Competition Red... ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

You can use some dental floss to run behind the emblems and cut the tape then remove the emblems. Sometimes a little heat from a hair drier helps ;)

Reduces the chance of doing any damage.  Done it on new cars often also - removing emblems and such

I used your idea but with fishing line...worked like a charm...and without heat! Thanks!

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »
  Or Competition Red... ;)

TOB

I've been trying to decide for months if I should go with Calypso Coral or Competition Red...tough decision but I decided to go with Poppy Red.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 08:22:42 PM »
I've been trying to decide for months if I should go with Calypso Coral or Competition Red...tough decision but I decided to go with Poppy Red.
... or vermillion (vermilion)... ;)

LOL  ;D

TOB
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:25:13 PM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
What shade are the stripes on the 70 hood?
What shade of black is the area around the taillights?

Thanks

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

Shade?  Would describe it as eggshell to slightly more gloss

This original paint car is likely a bit glossier from wiping and cleaning - polishing the paint - over time  as well as the lighting and angle

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:04:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 04:06:44 PM »
What shade are the stripes on the 70 hood?

Thanks
I believe the hood stripes were gloss black with the exception of Black Jade which was done in a matte black.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
I'm about to have my 70 Shelby GT350 car number 3024 painted. I'm taking it apart for before I drop of to the painter and had a couple of questions.

1. How do I get the Cobra and Shelby emblem off the side of the car? Is it attached from the interior of the car?

2. How do I remove the rear trunk Shelby Emblem?

3. My door tag appears original but in bad shape, recommend masking off for the paint or would you recommend replacing?

4. The area directly behind my front bumper is painted black, I was told it was supposed to be a dark greyish color on the 69's. Is that the same for all 69 Shelbys? What color is it?

5. Any other tips or advice? This isn't a full on concourse paint job, I'm just refreshing the tired paint on this driver car of mine but I'd like to keep things accurate without going too crazy.
The emblem and the trunklid mesh /letters is held on with double sided tape. They can be loosened with a heat gun and carefully pried off. It is typical to have to replace with another because the original gets damaged during removal . Shelby parts and restoration sells the most accurate reproduction of the trunklid mesh . You can get new letters and snake emblems from him too. The frame rail behind the front bumper would be most typically black . The firewall back is the place the slop gray paint was used . Firewall forward was a red oxide tint underneath. The engine compartment and the front of the radiator support including the front frame rail was meant to be painted black.

I just want to make sure I understand and that we're talking about the same parts; to confirm the grill in painted the argent grey color, does that include the top grill bracket? Mine is a  lighter grey/almost silver. Appears to be repainted at some point, what's the correct color for that part. I've seen various colors online and I have no idea what is actually correct.

The part where the grill sits (not sure of the correct nomenclature of the part) as shown in the picture is painted black on my car..this should be argent grey as well?

Thanks