News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How does your choice of car identify who you are?

Started by deathsled, September 30, 2018, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I thought of compiling a list of my own observations based on Make and Model but leave it to the reader for further elaboration.  Have at it if you believe your choice of car is a reflection on who you are.  I saw commentary on another post that involved a Subaru and don't necessarily disagree with such assessments. 

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

I made those Subie statements and I stand by them for my geographical location.

At the other end of the spectrum you might find a monster truck with male anatomy hanging from the hitch receiver.   :o

deathsled

SNAKEBIT

Snicker. This is a funny topic. What does it say if you want a Shelby? I also like Mopars a whole lot. My Shelby choice, when the money comes, is a '70 convertible example with a 302 and an automatic. I might even de-tune it and get the best highway gears I can find for it, just for trips, but 4:10 for running around my town. Are 4:30 just too much for driving around town?
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

deathsled

Any first generation Shelby G.T. 350, 500 or 500KR owner equals long term hot rodder, gear head, petrol head with need for speed. Respectful of other fast cars but loves all that is vintage and nostalgic. Heavy left foot in younger years has evolved to a more sophisticated cruising style with no need to prove themselves in the presence of other motorists. Highly respects the automobile in its fossil fuel burning iteration with a bit of disdain for electric cars.

SNAKEBIT

That sounds just like me. I was going to do a sleeper twin-turbo thing with my Fury (which I am now in the process of trying to sell), but I now want a Shelby 'vert with under 300 horse and a very mileage-friendly rear end. No 428s for me needed.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

68countrysedan

Shelby:

1965 GT350. I like the original Mustang fastback styling (second only to the 67/8). I prefer the vents to the windows on the '66. I think they add nice visual design feature.

Non Shelby:

If I were to get a non-Ford performance car (and I've come thisclose to doing so) it would be C4 Corvette. They are now V8 performance bargains of the 21st century. And I love the styling. Very minimalist and it remains fresh after several decades IMHO.

As for how these choices identify who I am, does it mean I'm more mature or still crazy after all these years? I dunno.

deathsled

Not crazy. You kept your youthful core identity refusing to abandon it like so many other of your contemporaries did with the encroaching passage of time.  Look at their lives and compare if you still know any of them. I imagine a fair number have up on what made them happy in their youth. Keep your interests alive and don't let anyone impinge on what you like.

GT350Lad

For me Richard I love the purity of the Shelby's and enjoy the shape of the 65/66s. I am simple surgeon the logic of these cars and the hobby gets me out of the hospital and into something different.
Cheers guys
6S373
6S1276

Grumpy

Owner of many Shelby cars since 1972. 2 small blocks (66/70)  Many big blocks (67/68 GT500s, 70 Mach 1 CJ drag pack cars, 427 Cobra's old and new). As ya get older they seem to loose the interest ya had for them. Die hard big block guy. But now after all these years I probably could live with a small block car. I keep looking for something new. Attention span isn't what it use to be. These are 2 toys we use as summer cars. Guess what one is the most fun !!  :-[

deathsled

Quote from: GT350Lad on October 13, 2018, 04:42:44 AM
For me Richard I love the purity of the Shelby's and enjoy the shape of the 65/66s. I am simple surgeon the logic of these cars and the hobby gets me out of the hospital and into something different.
Cheers guys
I am in total agreement with your assessment of the 65 66 Shelby Mustangs, Lad.  I lusted for one from the age of 14 going forward.  I also have a very healthy respect for the 67 G.T. 500 and if it weren't for big red that I have traumatically bonded with, I would be chasing a 67 G.T. 500.  It's good to get away from one's chosen line of work and get out on the open road.  Makes me think of the beginning to the Gumball Rally where Michael Sarrazin was in a boring board meeting when flashing through his mind, he was suddenly driving the 427 Cobra and then he adjourns the meeting to plan the race. 

GT350Lad

Quote from: deathsled on October 13, 2018, 03:41:03 PM
Quote from: GT350Lad on October 13, 2018, 04:42:44 AM
Cheers guys
I am in total agreement with your assessment of the 65 66 Shelby Mustangs, Lad.  I lusted for one from the age of 14 going forward.  I also have a very healthy respect for the 67 G.T. 500 and if it weren't for big red that I have traumatically bonded with, I would be chasing a 67 G.T. 500.  It's good to get away from one's chosen line of work and get out on the open road.  Makes me think of the beginning to the Gumball Rally where Michael Sarrazin was in a boring board meeting when flashing through his mind, he was suddenly driving the 427 Cobra and then he adjourns the meeting to plan the race.

Agree Richard, cheers
6S373
6S1276