News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Points and condenser

Started by Karguy, October 02, 2018, 12:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

Hello All,
Another question, more research. 6s281 was born at San Jose in the middle of October 65. Do we know if it came originally with Autolite or FoMoCo stamped points and condenser?  Also wondering about the 12 V coil lead, distributor to coil. Is anyone making an exact Concours correct coil lead?
Thanks Mucho, Karl
6s281
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Brant

Quote from: Karguy on October 02, 2018, 12:24:56 AM
Hello All,
Another question, more research. 6s281 was born at San Jose in the middle of October 65. Do we know if it came originally with Autolite or FoMoCo stamped points and condenser?  Also wondering about the 12 V coil lead, distributor to coil. Is anyone making an exact Concours correct coil lead?
Thanks Mucho, Karl
6s281

We have the lead with the black molded end.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-67-289-HI-PO-DISTRIBUTOR-PRIMARY-LEAD-WIRE-P5506.aspx
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Karguy

Thanks Brant, I will be in touch concerning a coil lead.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

gt350hr

FoMoCo "oval"  on the points.  "Gray paper" insulator . I still have some of them.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on October 02, 2018, 12:24:56 AM
Hello All,
Thanks Mucho, Karl
6s281
The points would be marked FOMOCO as Randy mentioned and so would be the condenser. The coil wire from the distributor should have a 90 degree boot at the cap similar to the other sparkplug wires. The repro wires sets sometimes get this wrong compared to historical photos. The boot on the wire at the coil will have a bell shaped lead and NOT a 90 degree. The repro wires sometimes get this wrong . The wire itself is typically made from left over sparkplug wires and will have a label sticker wrapped around the wire sometimes it will have "coil" in which case it will be about 4 inches or so from the coil or it will have "DIST" in which case it will be about 4 inch's or so from the distributor. The picture is of a 65 engine however the sparkplug wire set is the same as on a 66. Hopefully this will help with knowing what you need. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

Thanks, Randy and Bob.
Good to know, turns out the points I had already purchased are the correct NOS points and I purchased a correct FoMoCo condenser on EBay just now. One more correct piece of the puzzle completed.  I appreciate your experience and willingness to help. I'm sure there will be many more questions to come. Thanks again, Karl
6s281