News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Recent extraction 1967 GT500 down since 1974

Started by 6s1640, October 03, 2018, 01:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Quote from: 6s1640 on October 09, 2018, 12:25:01 PM
Hi Brian,

For some reason the state of California felt the need to stamp there with a "C" prefix, I am assuming for California.  It is not a San Jose or SAI thing.

Good eye

Cory

Thank you for the explanation Cory.

J_Speegle

Quote from: silverton_ford on October 09, 2018, 12:17:53 PM
After reviewing the photos from the website, I noticed the Shelby VIN stamped inside the inner door jam on the driver's side.    Is this normal?     Seems like it would take too much time to do at the factory, but I don't know.

Noticed that also but have never seen that on another San Jose built Shelby or Mustang and I've seen tens of thousands. Not a practice I've seen on any other car restamped by the state of California. Now the thing I would check is to see if the factory VIN is under the tag and fender to see fi there was a purpose for adding the stamp or if the owner had done it for their own purposes

As for the top of the shock towers same comment  - for San Jose but have seen what appeared to be a VIN placed on an early non-San Jose car but that would not relate to 67 nor San Jose
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

I have inspected the car and it does have the factory Ford VIN stampings.  It is a mystery why the state of California felt the need to stamp on the door jam.

Cory

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on October 09, 2018, 02:10:44 PM
Hi Jeff,

I have inspected the car and it does have the factory Ford VIN stampings.  It is a mystery why the state of California felt the need to stamp on the door jam.

Cory

Did the owner state that he witnessed that the state did indeed stamp those there?  Just asking ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1967 eight barrel

If this is California if the vin was missing (Common on vehicles with rust or collision damage in the front) the state would stamp an aluminum VIN tag and rivet it to the front apron, usually on the left.
                                                                              -Keith

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on October 09, 2018, 05:18:53 PM
If this is California if the vin was missing (Common on vehicles with rust or collision damage in the front) the state would stamp an aluminum VIN tag and rivet it to the front apron, usually on the left.

First must state that this is not directed toward the car in the thread but to the process Calif used.  With that said it appears (what I found  in documentation) that the practice of issuing a plate by the state started in 1974 now I guess a car that had been processed prior to that might have likely been updated by the state if ownership was transfered after that date and the car was reinspected.

6s1640

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 09, 2018, 04:41:21 PM
Quote from: 6s1640 on October 09, 2018, 02:10:44 PM
Hi Jeff,

Cory

Did the owner state that he witnessed that the state did indeed stamp those there?  Just asking ;)

Hi Jeff,  I am only repeating the story I heard.  So it is strictly hearsay.  It is only conjecture as to why California stamped the VIN in the door jam.

Cory

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s1640 on October 09, 2018, 06:47:28 PM

Hi Jeff,  I am only repeating the story I heard.  So it is strictly hearsay.  It is only conjecture as to why California stamped the VIN in the door jam.

Cory

Just checking since we have to be so careful at what we say and imply as so many take every word posted down and sometimes use it to their own ends or interpret things for their benefit

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

I do know that the car was cleared through the 67 registrar.  Base on the feedback, I am hearing everything checked out correctly.  If the door jam stamping bothers the new owner, he can cover up and make go away.  Who ever stamped, they sure banged up the door jam.

Cory

SFM5S159

Does anyone know what the ask was on the car?  Marked sold.  Just curious.
I own #00503, produced on Jan 9, (my birthday) two days prior to this car's birthday of Jan 11. 
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra