News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 shelby radios

Started by Bigblock, October 01, 2018, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

This line of discussion about radios should be in another thread if nothing else so others in the future can easier search subject matter. I hope the moderator will make a executive decision and split it off. I will bring it to his attention.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

As Bob stated the radios (for '67's) were installed by Ford and the antenna kit was in a box in the trunk.  In the box was a template for locating the antenna on the front passenger fender. 

Not installing the antenna saved the chances of damage during shipping or sitting in holding lots.  It was part of the dealer prep.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

As far as Marti reports and the way he listed or didn't list the radio I found after looking through 110 examples I had handy that only 19 of the 110 had radios mentioned at all in the option column at the bottom. And when they did most fell into groups with similar vins suggesting IMHO the possibility that it might have something to do with the way Ford coded the option on the mirco fiche during certain periods of production

Just sharing for the discussion  ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

Perhaps the 65-66 LAX contractor story Bob mentioned was rumored/moved up to the '67 year as misinformation. It does make sense that a radio would be installed cheaper at the Ford factory than by SA at LAX. I'll back off that theory. Certainly SA didn't need to add more work to complete these cars on an already burdened assembly line. As JD said, leaving off the antennas for the dealer to install would help to prevent damage and also save time for the assembly time at LAX. So this begs the question why Marti would have so many units listed without radios. I have not found anything in the few DSO sheets I have about radio deletes.

The Marti reports continue to haunt me. After reading Jeff's reply I looked at my files. I too have over 100 of them. There are several Marti's that don't list radios while they are found on those cars SA Invoices. At the same time I have found some cars with no mention of radios on either Marti or the invoice. (I should mention the two Marti's that have the quantity of cars, with and without radios listed, were both from over 15 years ago (2001 & 2003). Since then, none of the newer Marti's I have listed them in the statics section. Jeff might be on to something with his coding issue theory. 

Getting back to comparing SA Invoices; I've found six SA invoices without radios listed. Each is from a completely different optioned car; GT350 / GT500, auto / 4-spd, emission / no emissions. The VIN numbers are also spread out over the entire production run as low as in the 200's and as high as 2300's. Not much help so far.

I look forward to hearing from Dennis on Bob's fender question; original, replaced, or antenna hole...
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on October 03, 2018, 10:35:19 PM
The Marti reports continue to haunt me. After reading Jeff's reply I looked at my files. I too have over 100 of them. There are several Marti's that don't list radios while they are found on those cars SA Invoices. At the same time I have found some cars with no mention of radios on either Marti or the invoice. (I should mention the two Marti's that have the quantity of cars, with and without radios listed, were both from over 15 years ago (2001 & 2003). Since then, none of the newer Marti's I have listed them in the statics section. Jeff might be on to something with his coding issue theory. 

Just to continue this part of the discussion and my findings I did check the printing dates on the reports with the radio listed and found (of the 19 I mentioned)  they were produced/printed by Kevin across the spectrum. As early as 2003 and as late as 2018 so IMHO it appears that its not a difference (listing or not listing) in his current verses past practices as far as I can tell.

Sorry should have mentioned that to have saved you some time  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

No worries, regarding the marti report issued date, I was only referring to the "statistic" section on the right with the radio quantities, not the options section on the left.

Bigblock

The saga continues to amaze me. Just when I think everything is known about these cars another question or point of view surfaces. :)

texas swede

My car #1317 had an AM radio when I bought it in June 1977 but neither the Marti Report nor the
shipping document has radio marked on it. The shipping document says Westwood Ford Pico Rivera Inventory.

Texas Swede

1967 eight barrel

What crossed my mind is that having the radio installed would have complicated the installation of the gauge pod under the dash. Perhaps they were shipped to Shelby and installed post the wiring and installation of the under dash units? That would make perfect sense dealing with the oil tubing and wiring involved.
                                                                                     -Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on October 07, 2018, 03:04:35 AM
What crossed my mind is that having the radio installed would have complicated the installation of the gauge pod under the dash. Perhaps they were shipped to Shelby and installed post the wiring and installation of the under dash units? That would make perfect sense dealing with the oil tubing and wiring involved.
                                                                                     -Keith
A logical premise for a theory based on circumstantial evidence however from my point of view the radio has little to do installed or not installed advantage wise for the installation of the gauge pod and associated wiring. A slight advantage making it easier to install the bracket but no additional advantage when installing the oil line or amp gauge wiring. At least the way I do it .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67350#1242

If any of these cars were actually ordered "radio delete" wouldn't they have the dummy or radio delete housing in the dash?  Any photographic evidence of cars at Shelby awaiting to be finished?  I've not seen any interior shots of those cars.
When I purchased my car it came with AM-FM mono but there is no documentation of radio at all on the Marti report.
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Special Ed

i have some radio delete plates if needed

Richstang

Quote from: 67350#1242 on October 07, 2018, 02:50:46 PM
If any of these cars were actually ordered "radio delete" wouldn't they have the dummy or radio delete housing in the dash?  Any photographic evidence of cars at Shelby awaiting to be finished?  I've not seen any interior shots of those cars.
When I purchased my car it came with AM-FM mono but there is no documentation of radio at all on the Marti report.
Kurt.

One of the earlier GT500 magazine road test cars was #0173. It was shown with the blank radio dash housing.

On the other hand the GT500 #0100 was shown with the radio.

Bob Gaines

I had forgotten about that picture. What magazine and issue was that from? Did the engine compartment shot look strange?  I was going through my magazine collection and all of the other magazine cars where you could see the dash area showed radios. The article with the super snake in front of Mel Burns Ford showed a radio but no antenna installed .

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 07, 2018, 04:19:08 PM
I had forgotten about that picture. What magazine and issue was that from? Did the engine compartment shot look strange?  I was going through my magazine collection and all of the other magazine cars where you could see the dash area showed radios. The article with the super snake in front of Mel Burns Ford showed a radio but no antenna installed .

I don't have the issue handy, but believe it to be Motor Trend's April 67 issue. The interior photo is either in the issue or an outtake. Here's that strange engine compartment.

Most of the Magazine's tested the GT500 #0100 (Auto - A/C, no emissions) in December '66 (for their Feb / March issues).
The GT500 #0173 (4-spd - no A/C, no emissions) was tested in February '67.
The white GT350 #0050 (4-spd - no A/C, no emissions) tested in Dec and Feb had both a radio and fender mounted antenna.