News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 shelby radios

Started by Bigblock, October 01, 2018, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on October 07, 2018, 05:10:58 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 07, 2018, 04:19:08 PM
I had forgotten about that picture. What magazine and issue was that from? Did the engine compartment shot look strange?  I was going through my magazine collection and all of the other magazine cars where you could see the dash area showed radios. The article with the super snake in front of Mel Burns Ford showed a radio but no antenna installed .

I don't have the issue handy, but believe it to be Motor Trend's April 67 issue. The interior photo is either in the issue or an outtake. Here's that strange engine compartment.

Most of the Magazine's tested the GT500 #0100 (Auto - A/C, no emissions) in December '66 (for their Feb / March issues).
The GT500 #0173 (4-spd - no A/C, no emissions) was tested in February '67.
The white GT350 #0050 (4-spd - no A/C, no emissions) tested in Dec and Feb had both a radio and fender mounted antenna.
I found it . Those same pictures where used in other issues beside the April MT. May ,HI-PERFORMANCE CARS also. It has a strange engine shot . I am not sure how relevant it is but it is a coincidence that it has this strange engine shot which is out of the ordinary as well as and the radio delete which is out of the ordinary. It isn't strange that the other magazine cars that show radios would have a antenna installed given they were meant to show a finished car and not one having to have things done to it. The Supersnake car is strange because it is all finished except adding the antenna at the dealer . Hero shots of the car would typically have everything done.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

Sorry, I was referring to the wrong documents in my earlier post. Ir was not shipping documents but
Production Order.
Texas Swede

Road Reptile

Hi to all 67 fans !
Just looked at this again from the Ford side and noticed it is column # 63 on the V.O.I. that shows type of audio equipment....so when you are looking over the Marti report please check this
column and see if there is a digit---The report may not have it listed in the options section,yet it may still be on the report if this column contains a digit. Kinda technical but sorta important.
Thanks for showing the pictures of a radio delete car ! I also must wonder if they experienced a parts shortage sometime during production ??? Remember 472,000 Mustangs built was a big
year....and Cougar shared many of the parts....imagine if you had the contract to supply just radios!!! Also wanted to mention that radios and antenna lead in cables both have date codes...
so if the car is apart it should be simple enough to prove the manufactured date at the very least. Also keep in mind dealers could delete an option when and if the car was special ordered (which
was extremely rare for these cars) Now off to find Sgt. Peppers to enjoy !!
Regards R.R. 8)

Richstang

Hi RR,

Thanks for the heads up on the Marti Reports.

There are dozens of Marti's in my files with NO radio listed in the options section along with the digit "2" missing in the VOI column.
When there is a "2" in that column the radio is listed in the "options" on all the copies I have.
Also, I believe the column to look for the radio is #58 not #63.

Your point about the date code is a very good one. If the date code is after the car was built at San Hose, it would indicate it was either changed at some point later or added at either LAX or the selling dealer. I suppose we might be able to narrow it down further if the date code is also after the SA build date or the SA shipping date as well.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

SHELB66

Where is the date code located on the '67 Philco AM radio (7TPZ)?  The AM/FM was made by Bendix and I believe those are date stamped.  Not sure about the AM/8-Track.  That was a Motorola unit.
I don't recall ever seeing a date code on the AM radio.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

J_Speegle

Quote from: Road Reptile on October 11, 2018, 08:26:52 PM
............... Also keep in mind dealers could delete an option when and if the car was special ordered (which
was extremely rare for these cars) ...........

Believe a special order was not needed to get a car without a radio. Ford charged the same amount for putting an AM in a car as they charged ($57 and change) for a Shelby so not marking the box meant neither got built with a radio. Nothing else needed  and not really a delete if your car didn't have one.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

J_Speegle" had a good point about checking the DSO's in an earlier post. I meant to get back to this sooner. I sent Brian Styles an email asking if any of the AM radios on the microfilm DSO's were listed as an option or as a deleted item. I mentioned the early and late VIN #'s of the 2 cars that had reported them (1 early build with and 1 late build without) in the 15 year old Marti Reports. I have his permission to post his reply. "A review of the film seems to indicate that the last DSO that itemized an AM radio as part of the option block was DSO 2570. Typed 11/1/66, Received 11/28/66". He thought the AM radio would be part of the basic Shelby GT350 or GT500 package, thus the AM Radio may not be listed on the Marti Reports even though they all likely had one.

"Road Reptile" mentions the VOI section at the top of Marti reports. Brian has a page that helps us to decode all those digits as well. That's where I found the Radio info as found in column #58. http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/decode.asp

Previously, I mentioned #0173 in a post as a car photographed (magazine testing) without a radio. As Bob pointed out, that car had some oddities beyond the blank radio plate.
I thought I should add that it was a SA Engineering car, which might have a lot to do with any changes from what was typical in production.

"Brian Styles" also mentions inconsistencies in the Ford records versus how the cars were actually built. He referred me to this page on his website where we can see numerous items are not the same as reported by Ford on the Marti Reports, versus what was actually built on the cars. He gets into engine codes (S / Q), axle ratios, wheels, and a couple of other items. It's interesting reading that we need to keep in mind.
http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/authentication/marti-report.asp

Bigblock

Does anyone have a more enlarged (zoomed) version of the IBM card decode? On my monitor and eyeballs its too small.
Thanks

Richstang

Quote from: Bigblock on October 26, 2018, 08:19:03 AM
Does anyone have a more enlarged (zoomed) version of the IBM card decode? On my monitor and eyeballs its too small.
Thanks
There is a link below the VOI card to let you enlarge the photo. It looks like the #58 Column reads "RADIO/TAPE/ANT. (Antenna)

Skidado

At the risk of hijacking this thread - I have a related question.

'67 289 HiPo plug leads (as used on 67 GT350) are listed by most concours parts suppliers as being 'solid core' - ie not radio suppression.  But many (most?) '67 GT350s had radios, and you can't hear the radio with the engine running on solid core plug leads due to interference (ask me how I know...!).

I don't believe Ford or Shelby would have fitted solid core with radio. So which plug leads are correct for this configuration of vehicle?  Did they just use the standard suppression core wires on cars with radios?

Thanks

David

67350#1242

The latest understanding is that Radio suppression wires were typically used.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67350#1242 on November 14, 2018, 10:44:07 AM
The latest understanding is that Radio suppression wires were typically used.
To add to the above post , evidence from other years Shelby which were documented to be delivered to SA without radios also were delivered with the spark suppression wires and coborated with vintage photographs is strong evidence to conclude that the spark suppression wires were the vast majority in all cars regardless of if installed with radio or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Skidado on November 14, 2018, 07:35:19 AM
'67 289 HiPo plug leads (as used on 67 GT350) are listed by most concours parts suppliers as being 'solid core' - ie not radio suppression. ...

Just the residual of the influence of older rules, applying documentation incorrectly  and past practices. We continue to learn and the ever so slight (well most of the time) adjustments in show rules shows that over time
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Skidado

Ok thanks - so I should just fit standard 289 radio suppression wires?

David

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Skidado on November 15, 2018, 10:19:47 AM
Ok thanks - so I should just fit standard 289 radio suppression wires?

David
Yes you should if you want to be historically correct. ;)