News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 shelby radios

Started by Bigblock, October 01, 2018, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s2055

When I bought my 67 GT500 from S&C Ford (#0962), it had an Am/Fm radio, also Hub Caps. They had just taken delivery of it the day before so I assume it was not put in by S&C.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s2055 on November 15, 2018, 12:06:33 PM
When I bought my 67 GT500 from S&C Ford (#0962), it had an Am/Fm radio, also Hub Caps. They had just taken delivery of it the day before so I assume it was not put in by S&C.
AM FM radio installed would be one of very few. The overwhelming majority were AM.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

In the 7TPZ radio part number sequence:
7=year
T=transistor (rather than tube which would have a number for number of tubes)
P=Philco
Z=Mustang

A good visual resource:
https://sites.google.com/site/identifyingcarradios/home/radios-1/ford-2
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Richstang

There's no doubt the '67 Shelby's were delivered to dealers with the antenna in the trunk.
There are numerous photos of dealer lots showing cars with no antennas installed.
Including JD Ball Ford, Tasca Ford, Sud Automotive, Fogg Motors, Spaniol Ford, Frontier Ford, Carey Paul Ford, etc

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

Quote from: Richstang on October 25, 2018, 06:11:59 PM
J_Speegle" had a good point about checking the DSO's in an earlier post. I meant to get back to this sooner. I sent Brian Styles an email asking if any of the AM radios on the microfilm DSO's were listed as an option or as a deleted item. I mentioned the early and late VIN #'s of the 2 cars that had reported them (1 early build with and 1 late build without) in the 15 year old Marti Reports. I have his permission to post his reply. "A review of the film seems to indicate that the last DSO that itemized an AM radio as part of the option block was DSO 2570. Typed 11/1/66, Received 11/28/66". He thought the AM radio would be part of the basic Shelby GT350 or GT500 package, thus the AM Radio may not be listed on the Marti Reports even though they all likely had one.

"Road Reptile" mentions the VOI section at the top of Marti reports. Brian has a page that helps us to decode all those digits as well. That's where I found the Radio info as found in column #58. http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/decode.asp

Previously, I mentioned #0173 in a post as a car photographed (magazine testing) without a radio. As Bob pointed out, that car had some oddities beyond the blank radio plate.
I thought I should add that it was a SA Engineering car, which might have a lot to do with any changes from what was typical in production.

"Brian Styles" also mentions inconsistencies in the Ford records versus how the cars were actually built. He referred me to this page on his website where we can see numerous items are not the same as reported by Ford on the Marti Reports, versus what was actually built on the cars. He gets into engine codes (S / Q), axle ratios, wheels, and a couple of other items. It's interesting reading that we need to keep in mind.
http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/authentication/marti-report.asp

Update

#0173 was in a DSO group that did NOT get an AM radio installed at SJ. Thus the photo.
As an engineering car (not a PR car) SAI would have no reason to add costs by installing a radio.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

There is documentation confirming how many cars had radios installed at the SJ plant. I wish we had information on how many cars had radios installed at SA/Hi-Performance Motors . SA had radios added after deliver from SJ in 65 ,66 and 67 because they could get it done for less money then having Ford install them . Lew Spencers Hi-Pperformance Motors is who SA have do the radio installs. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby