News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Build dates on Shelby’s

Started by cbrown, October 04, 2018, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrown

What's the earliest build date on 68 Shelby's ?

Chris

Mongo

Coralsnake

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/first.htm

There were at least five cars built before anything else.

Regular production started at the end of November, 1967. The earliest cars were built in the third week of November by Ford. I personally would call anything before December 8, 1967 "early"

Those cars finished by AO Smith received dual serial numbers

Coralsnake

Mike Shally

FYI Car 006 was built on Nov 27 1967
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

KR Convertible

00181 built 11/25/67.  And not a dual VIN.  What about the others?

Coralsnake

Built by Ford? Or Shelby?

I think most dual serial number cars were built before Dec 8, 1967.

If you car entered Smith after that date, thats why it had the more common single stamping.

KR Convertible

Coralsnake

Thats a Ford assembly date, factor in a couple days or more to get to Ionia and maybe a few days (or more) in the holding lot...Im guessing 181 wasnt sent into the plant until the second week of December; probably shipped later to the dealer.

KR Convertible

Isn't the Ford date the only known date?  And then the first sold date from the registry.

I have seen pictures of tags with higher Shelby numbers and higher consecutive numbers that have had the dual VIN and wondered.

Coralsnake

Cars were not built in numerical order. Those cars were likely at Smith before yours.

There is a Smith shipping date available.
I think if you look at those dates, you will see those other cars.

KR Convertible

Where would I find the ship to Smith date?  Or do you mean ship to dealer date?

Coralsnake

Its in the Registry. The date is the date it was shipped to the dealer.  Yours is 1/6/68

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Smith completion list, but most cars were shipped after completion, unless they had defects