News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Strut rod bushing replacement

Started by Eritor, October 07, 2018, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eritor

Start to change my GT500 strut rod/bar bushings from last change in -93. It have 3 washers? I will now have the OE style when changing with 2 sleeves inside the 2 bushings between 2 washers. All kit I have seen today is with 1 sleeves for the 2 bushings that goes into each at the front frames. Same instructions video have the rear washer opposite/toward the bushings? Where can I find the -67 OE style? Or is it correct to have 1 sleeves inside bushings for my Shelbys? How long should sleeves be if that is the only chose today for proper radius rod function with oe bushings? There is a lot of incorrect installed ones out there.
Shelby GT500 #0329 Wimbledon, black interior, C6.
Shelby GT500 -13 Black with black stripes, TP, PP, Recaro, Glass roof.
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Eritor on October 07, 2018, 05:06:04 PM
Start to change my GT500 strut rod/bar bushings from last change in -93. It have 3 washers? I will now have the OE style when changing with 2 sleeves inside the 2 bushings between 2 washers. All kit I have seen today is with 1 sleeves for the 2 bushings that goes into each at the front frames. Same instructions video have the rear washer opposite/toward the bushings? Where can I find the -67 OE style? Or is it correct to have 1 sleeves inside bushings for my Shelbys? How long should sleeves be if that is the only chose today for proper radius rod function with oe bushings? There is a lot of incorrect installed ones out there.
Factory strut washers should be cupped inward facing each other . Some after market versions differ in that regard.  Virginia mustang sells a nice set. they are not 100% exact but pretty darn close IMO when comparing to assemblyline examples. http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-73-STRUT-ROD-BUSHING-KIT-WITH-WASHERS-EXACT-ORIGINAL-STYLE-P283176.aspx
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Eritor

Thanks Bob. Have the factory 1 or 2 steel sleeves/side? Seems to be 2 sleeves at Ford manuals. I have a set new Scott drake bushings without the sleeves and that old one from -93 is with one sleeves inside. How was it made to work from factory? Is it just to tighten until sleeves stop it? It will be the sleeves that determines how tight all will be?
Shelby GT500 #0329 Wimbledon, black interior, C6.
Shelby GT500 -13 Black with black stripes, TP, PP, Recaro, Glass roof.
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

67350#1242

Yes the sleeve length sets the preload on the bushings - washers bottom out on the sleeve.

I installed a Drake kit on my car a couple years ago and last month noticed the pass. side front bushing had split.   Ordered new bushings - hope this is an anomaly and not indicative of cheap rubber.  Has anybody else had this problem with the Drake bushings?
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67350#1242 on October 08, 2018, 02:01:59 PM
Yes the sleeve length sets the preload on the bushings - washers bottom out on the sleeve.

I installed a Drake kit on my car a couple years ago and last month noticed the pass. side front bushing had split.   Ordered new bushings - hope this is an anomaly and not indicative of cheap rubber.  Has anybody else had this problem with the Drake bushings?
+1 . Single tube on 67 from factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby