News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby Lift Bar & Upper Arm supports

Started by SFM66H, October 07, 2018, 05:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM66H

When you don't have the ceiling height for a lift, you have to come up with other solutions for lifting your car.

I came up with this idea for a lift bar. It, and these brilliantly re-engineered upper arm supports, were made by Dan at CPS (Custom Precision Services, Kaukauna, WI).

This combo safely gets my car up onto aluminum diamond plate wheel stands, where the bottom of the rocker panels are 18" off the floor!

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

SFM5S000

Very nice Keith. A couple questions for you:

1, re:Lift Bar
1.1, what are you using as the lifting location on the car?
1.2, based on the wood block (2x4?) position and shape, Strut rod cross member?
1.3, is the lift bar to floor jack attaching point "cupped" so it doesn't slip off? I'm assuming it is.
1.4 is the attaching point a standard diameter size?

2, re: Upper Arm Support
2.1 is the square end insert and end that contacts the A Arm polyurethane material?
2.2 is it  steel or aluminum? (I can't tell from the photo)
2.3 will Dan at CPS reproduce these two items?

The two pieces seem well thought out, as far as I know no one is making the Arm support for sale.

Thanks,
~Earl J

J_Speegle

Quote from: SFM5S000 on October 07, 2018, 07:21:32 PM
................, as far as I know no one is making the Arm support for sale.

Think Marcus was had some made. Not sure if he was widely advertising them. Don't think he made them side specific as these (ones shown above) appear to be for early cars
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

I would definitely be interested in a set of the side specific upper arm supports.
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

1.1, what are you using as the lifting location on the car?
1.2, based on the wood block (2x4?) position and shape, Strut rod cross member?
1.3, is the lift bar to floor jack attaching point "cupped" so it doesn't slip off? I'm assuming it is.
1.4 is the attaching point a standard diameter size?

2.1 is the square end insert and end that contacts the A Arm polyurethane material?
2.2 is it  steel or aluminum? (I can't tell from the photo)
2.3 will Dan at CPS reproduce these two items?

The two pieces seem well thought out, as far as I know no one is making the Arm support for sale.

Thanks,
~Earl J
You can remove the cup on many floor jacks . The removable cup on the floor jacks that have such have a pin fitted to the bottom side that inserts into the receiver hole in the floor jack brace.  The receiver hole is what the fixture is designed to fit into I imagine. I see know that 2X4 blocks are the material used in the lift bar. Pretty slick. marcus made up some of the support brackets for sale designed after the Ford specifications. The ones in the picture appear to be the Jetson version of those. Nice design from high Performance Motors .They don't just design/make cool coats. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM66H

1.1, what are you using as the lifting location on the car? The strut rod channels
1.2, based on the wood block (2x4?) position and shape, Strut rod cross member? See above, and yes, 2 x 4 pieces of wood
1.3, is the lift bar to floor jack attaching point "cupped" so it doesn't slip off? I'm assuming it is. Yes, it is a circular pad that has a machined ID that is .030 larger than the non-removable (but rotatable) pad on my floor jack
1.4 is the attaching point a standard diameter size? No, that will vary by floor jack brand/model

2.1 is the square end insert and end that contacts the A Arm polyurethane material? It's UHWMPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) plastic - the ultimate material for protecting the finish on your upper control arm and chassis rail. Dan has extensive experience with this material in his engineering career, and he knew it would be the best possible material for this application
2.2 is it  steel or aluminum? (I can't tell from the photo) It's steel, and I can provide the exact specs on it if you request
2.3 will Dan at CPS reproduce these two items? Absolutely. He already has a couple sets pre-made and in stock, and I think you will agree with me that they are an absolute steal at $100 for a pair. I can attest in person that they install perfectly on his 1967 GT 500 and my 1966 GT 350 - when they're sitting on the ground! That's the beauty of his design, the ease of installation with the car sitting on its own weight. They even work on my buddy's 1969 Boss 302, but they're about 3/4" short in that application. With his Boss sitting on the ground, we had to jack the car up about 2 pumps, then we could install the supports and they worked perfectly and didn't fall out. So we're still acquiring data on the different model years, but his current length/design fits perfectly in his '67 and my '66, and almost perfectly in my friends '69. But he can make them any length, and I've recently come up with the idea for potential customers to provide us with the length measurement of their frame rail to upper control arm (to compare to the same known measurement of our cars) and then he could make them the length at which we know they will install with your car sitting on the ground, which again, is the beauty of his design.     

The two pieces seem well thought out, as far as I know no one is making the Arm support for sale. I have seen several types of home-made versions of FORD's original design, but Dan was an engineer for his entire career, and his design speaks for itself.

Thanks,
~Earl J

SFM66H

Here are photos of Dan's upper arm supports installed in my 1966 GT 350, with the car sitting on the ground. You just slide the long tab of the support into the upper control arm, slide the bottom back & forth to achieve vertical position, and then lift the car up. His specific design feature of fuel line clearance was NOT included in FORD's original design! FORD's original blueprint design would have required the fuel line clip to be removed and the fuel line physically moved out of the way to even be able to use it. I'll post that blueprint next for those who may not be familiar with it... 

SFM66H

Here's FORD's design. While it may be okay for the passenger side shown here (if you don't care about the finish on your frame rail) how would that "radius bottom edge" on the support accommodate your fuel line on the driver's side?

gjz30075

Greg Z
6S2249

SFM66H

No, I've never even heard of that place until you sent the link.

CPS is the one-man shop I'm talking about in Reply#14 in the link below:

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=408.0

SFM66H

I have responded to inquiries about the "two items" and have replied that yes, he has some in stock, but I was referring only to the two arm supports themselves, NOT the lift bar too (for that price)! I got ahead of myself on the Forum this weekend, and need to get caught up with Dan on details that I posted. I'll see if he's okay with me posting his phone number on the Forum, but you can always email or PM me for it.

I describe a set of arm supports as 'two items' because they are two different pieces (left and right). So, sorry for any misunderstanding here, that was unintentional.

I haven't spoken to Dan yet about making a lift bar(s) and don't know how his work load stands at this moment. He's certainly capable of making them, as you can see by the one he made for me.

Inquire if you have a need and we'll find out.

Thanks,
Kieth

SFM66H

For any additional info on these upper arm supports, Dan said to contact him direct. His shop number is (920) 766-7933

doublemyv

I tried contacting Dan at the number SFM66H posted, and it appears to be someone's home phone with a young person leaving an announcement.  I left a message asking for Dan and a return call.   This was several weeks ago, and still no reply.   Does anyone have a better contact number to reach Dan or his business and order some supports for SFM5s444 ?
Mark

SFM66H

The number I posted IS correct, but Dan is in demand - thus the issue...

Please contact me personally and I will chase the issue for you:

Home phone - 920.498.8755 (leave a message)
Email - p51ace@sbcglobal.net
Text - 920.819.1609

Thanks,
Kieth
6S1615

kingchief

How do I purchase a set of these Upper Arm supports???  Am I too late?

Thanks,

Steve
SFM 6S406