News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Exhaust Tip Defector

Started by Fastback66, October 08, 2018, 08:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastback66

I saw this deflector on the attached car ad. It was also on my car when I bought it, I took it off. Anyone know the story with this piece? Was it a dealer option or an auto parts add on? Common, not common? It seems to help with keeping the messing carbon from getting everywhere.

TOBKOB

I've never seen on of those but my guess it would be to keep gasoline from running into the exhaust when filling the tank. Also it would help keep the bumper from splatter from the exhaust when water collected in the exhaust port.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

martyjac

These were sold years ago by a Shelby vendor. Can't remember which one though.It's purpose was to keep the exhaust off of the rear of the car. Had nothing to do with the fuel.

acman63

There were a couple guys that made different versions.   Noe of them worked well
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

On a driver car it kept the exhaust from leaving a staining exhaust residue on the chrome of the rear bumper. I know of a individual who up until only recently took it off . It worked quite well all of the years keeping the residue to a minimum. Back then it was easy to tell seeing his bumper compared to others that did not use the deflector with the residue stained on the bumper. The residue build up was very hard to get off, especially if you din't stay after it cleaning it off. He only took it off because he restored the car to concours show and wasn't planning on driving it on a regular basis like he once did. I would venture to say it was more relevant on a GT500 which had a tendencies to run rich more so then a GT350. There was also another style that was cast aluminum that fit over the exhaust port and was made with fins that diverted the exhaust.The small stainless fin was the less obtrusive of the two IMHO. If you put a lot of miles on your 69/70 it is worth it IMO if not you will not see a benefit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby