News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fender variations?

Started by shelbymann1970, April 22, 2024, 03:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

I'm looking at this Silver Jade car and where the front side hood bumpers mount has a large rectangular hole on each side. The hole there is usually just big enough for a rubber bumper to squeeze into(see pic of my red car).  So whats up with that. Car sure looks original on both front aprons and I suspect the caulk used is covering the big hole for rubber bumper clearance in the apron? Car built beginning of Feb.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

Sorry I was distracted by the spackle on the bottom of the car

Dont look like holes to me?

Pretty sure those arent on my Feb built 1969

Bill

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 22, 2024, 03:10:28 PMI'm looking at this Silver Jade car and where the front side hood bumpers mount has a large rectangular hole on each side. The hole there is usually just big enough for a rubber bumper to squeeze into(see pic of my red car).  So whats up with that. Car sure looks original on both front aprons and I suspect the caulk used is covering the big hole for rubber bumper clearance in the apron? Car built beginning of Feb.

A larger shot of those areas show them neatly taped over.

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 22, 2024, 04:38:43 PMSorry I was distracted by the spackle on the bottom of the car

Dont look like holes to me?

Pretty sure those arent on my Feb built 1969

Would the spackle be concourse correct as an "unrestored" example, rumor has it CS's cousins, brothers, sisters-in-laws, cousins, nephew watched this car being hand built in CS's barn in south Africa and this is how they did it back then.  ;D

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

I especially appreciate the apologists. "Looks fine to me"

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bill on April 22, 2024, 06:51:07 PM....... rumor has it CS's cousins, brothers, sisters-in-laws, cousins, nephew watched this car being hand built in CS's barn in south Africa and this is how they did it back then. 

Let's see what's the technical term I'm looking for? Oh yeah - BS. In the early 70s CS vacationed in many parts of Africa for up to 9 months a year. In the world of Shelby one thing always holds true. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." This story seem to fail the proof test easily.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

RickD

I own 1109 GT 350 built 2/11/69.  No extra holes like the one in your picture, just the smaller rectangular holes for the fender/hood bumpers. And no sealer, caulk or whatever it is under the fenders as shown in your pic. 

shelbymann1970

Quote from: RickD on Today at 06:11:44 AMI own 1109 GT 350 built 2/11/69.  No extra holes like the one in your picture, just the smaller rectangular holes for the fender/hood bumpers. And no sealer, caulk or whatever it is under the fenders as shown in your pic. 
to be clear not extra holes but on each side a narrow rectangular hole that the bumper squeezed into. The hole would be in the fender itself but all original aprons had large clearance holes for the hood bumpers. I was initially wondering if the "black" portion was the caulk used between the fender and the apron but looks too smooth on both sides and I doubt caulk would stay put in that large of a hole.  looking closely on the Shelby fender you can see a light outline of what appears to be the bumper hole under the tape if it is tape?
Here is a fender with the bumper hole in it next to a pic of this Shelby. So is the consensus that there is tape over the hole? Thanks for all the input. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

RickD

Yes, on a second look, it does look like tape over the hole.  Looked like just a hole first thing this morning.  Maybe they taped it to keep the sealant from squeezing out during application.  On to another matter regarding this Vert I haven't seen any pics of vin numbers on the back of the block unless I missed it.  Looking forward to learning more about this car.