Author Topic: Marchal 653 Covers  (Read 5186 times)

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
Marchal 653 Covers
« on: October 08, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
I was fortunate enough to have found someone who had a NOS pair of Marchal 653 fog lights for sale. My '68 GT500, completed on 02/14/1968, 01425 came with Marchals. When I bought the car, the lenses were broken and the bulb sockets and reflectors were rusted trash, but the housings were in very good condition. The plan was to purchase new lenses and sockets and possibly have the bodies re-chromed. Even though I may still rebuild them, I'll concentrate on installing the NOS pair I just bought.

I want to shout out Tim Lea. He was quite accommodating in answering my questions about Marchal 653 installation. Turns out it was described in the "1968 Shelby GT 350/500 Illustrations, Assembly Procedures & Parts List" that I bought many years ago. All the more reason to shout out Tim and our other expert resources. Very rarely, if at all, do they tell us to look it up in some manual.

Something surprised me about the installation of those lamps; the pedestals and washer bases. The ones that were on my car were stainless steel. I had thought they would be chrome plated mild steel. Even though they looked terrible, I was able to buff them up to a very high, nearly perfect chrome like shine.

Anyway, now I'm looking for a pair of covers. I spent some time at the Fall Carlisle event but couldn't find any. I found a pair of hard plastic clip on covers, but no soft fabric-like covers. When I asked about the soft covers, all I got back in return were dismissive looks and negative replies. Here's an ad that was in one of the boxes that held a 653 I just bought.

Does any body have a pair for sale or know where I can get them. Please PM me if you have a pair to sell. I couldn't find them on the web, but it looks like they come in a kit of new repo Marchal 653s. I'll be trekking to Hershey this weekend to continue my search.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Marchal 653 Covers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 02:24:05 AM »
Steve ,although the covers will help protect the foglights,the evidence points to the covers not being included at AO Smith where the foglights  were installed. You probably already knew that but just in case it makes a difference I wanted to bring it up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:55:27 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Bob. Yes, I knew it and I think it's always a good thing to reinforce the details of what the cars looked like and how they were provisioned when brand, spanking new. It's my understanding that the same can be said of the covers one can put on the Lucas lights.

I'm looking for the covers strictly as protection for the lenses. If I can get period appropriate covers, that'll be a bonus.

Not only did my car come with the Marchals, but from a personal perspective, I really like their look over the Lucas lights. I love their design; their browed body, the shape of the lens, and how the wires come through the hollow attachment stud. On the flip side I much prefer the rigid plastic covers and elastic band retainers I purchased for my Lucas lights, over the Marchal bag-like appearance of the soft covers.

I heard that the Marchals are being reproduced and the new repo Marchals may come with the covers. Seeing if I can buy the covers separately will be my next move.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »
Mr Gaines is correct, covers were not original.

highland green

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »
National Parts Depot sell repo lights and covers separately

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »
Thank you Highland Green.

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
also check with them foreign car people stores. they were primarily designed for them. mg, jag, healy, etc. I got my first set back in 75 for a vw scirocco (lucas). also, before you put them on, put some adtl padding under them, like foam rubber. helps protect. phred

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
Excellent points with both recommendations, Papa Scoops Phred

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Bob. Yes, I knew it and I think it's always a good thing to reinforce the details of what the cars looked like and how they were provisioned when brand, spanking new. It's my understanding that the same can be said of the covers one can put on the Lucas lights.

I'm looking for the covers strictly as protection for the lenses. If I can get period appropriate covers, that'll be a bonus.

Not only did my car come with the Marchals, but from a personal perspective, I really like their look over the Lucas lights. I love their design; their browed body, the shape of the lens, and how the wires come through the hollow attachment stud. On the flip side I much prefer the rigid plastic covers and elastic band retainers I purchased for my Lucas lights, over the Marchal bag-like appearance of the soft covers.

I heard that the Marchals are being reproduced and the new repo Marchals may come with the covers. Seeing if I can buy the covers separately will be my next move.

Same here, let me know what you find out.

Rod

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
I would be interested in the covers, too.  That's why I had the NOS lights, just in case.  Are you going to put those cool old Marchal stickers on your car?   ;)

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
Not so sure about putting them on the car, but probably my tool chest or garage wall. I might also explore replicating them. (You didn't hear that last part from me. 8))

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
They are pretty neat stickers.  I'm surprised my kids didn't find them.

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
I didn’t see that NPD offered the covers separately, so I asked through their customer service email. They replied today that the covers are not sold separately. They are only available in the fog light kit.

Stillakid54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »
They are only available in the fog light kit.

I have also hoped for years to get protection for my original lenses. ? Maybe a bulk order.. If you find a source could you please let us know.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:10 AM »
I have some covers I can sell you, please email me

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com