News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT 500 Engine Installation - Lift Plate Question

Started by rbarkley, October 09, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

Have you guys used a lift plate when installing an engine for a dual quad GT 500?   Did you remove both carbs?  Which carb (front or back) did you use to install the lift plate?  I read that an aluminum intake is fine with a lift plate as long as you thread the bolts in securely  Additionally, I am considering the Mac's Pivot Plate as an option.  Any experience/testimonials with it?

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/pivot-engine-lift-plate/PiVOT-and-Adapters

Finally,

Here is what I am considering on the day of installation ...

1) Early start with lots of coffee and friends that know what they are doing!
2) Use packing blanket or other material to protect engine compartment
3) Lift rear of car
3) Hoist engine and trans together
4) Clear radiator support and then tilt engine
5) Gently guide engine/trans until trans touches floor jack
6) Jack up rear of trans while leveling engine to motor mounts

I have headers.  Some have suggested loosening the passenger side header for ease of installation.
What about power steering sleeve and valve.  Should I remove them first?

Celebrate Big Block reunion!  Last installed in 1973!

Thanks
Ron

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

rbarkley

Wow!  A one man show with exhaust attached!   Well done.
Thanks Chris!
Ron

Coralsnake

Make your life easier and do without the trans. Headers could be a challenge

Bob Gaines

I and others I know have used the Mac plate for decades. Mac bought the rights to the plate within the last 10 years. You want to have the headers positioned in the engine compartment so you will not have maneuver them in after. That is if they have been in before. If a new set most likely you will have to  clearance the tubes on the driver side. If they fit without a few we'll placed kisses from a ball peen hammer stop what you are doing and go buy a powerball lottery ticket. Install engine with the idler arm disconnected so as to drop the drag link. Also install with master out of the way if you can. Installing without the valve covers will help. Don't install any accessories  until after. Can be done just harder imo . Installing without the trans is a snap. With the trans not so much. Done it both ways.Best of luck.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 09, 2018, 08:15:45 PM
Make your life easier and do without the trans. Headers could be a challenge
This - also use 1 friend only. Easiest way to deter results is to assign a committee.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

rbarkley

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

I still need to know if the lift plate goes on the front or rear carb location or does it matter?

Torque converter should be in next week with mid 50 to mid 70 temperatures outside.   That is great Texas outdoor weather!

Ron

OldGuy

Quote from: rbarkley on October 10, 2018, 12:10:06 PM

I still need to know if the lift plate goes on the front or rear carb location or does it matter?

Torque converter should be in next week with mid 50 to mid 70 temperatures outside.   That is great Texas outdoor weather!

Ron

Its a matter of positioning the lift plate in the "center" of the intake manifold so that the engine is relatively level when suspended. This is not an issue with a single carburetor. With the dual 4 setup, you might have to get creative to position the lift plate in the center.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldGuy on October 10, 2018, 12:23:04 PM

Ron
Yes centered is typically best however I have used ether on the C7ZX intake when lifting. If the forward hole is used you can get a little more tilt when trying to install the trans at the same time. FYI if installing trans best to not fluidize until in the car and even if drained be sure to use a good plug on the end of the trans so no leaks. I use a spare driveshaft front yoke. I typically roll the car under the hoist/engine instead of rolling the hoist back and forth.

Its a matter of positioning the lift plate in the "center" of the intake manifold so that the engine is relatively level when suspended. This is not an issue with a single carburetor. With the dual 4 setup, you might have to get creative to position the lift plate in the center.

Hope this helps.

Frank
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

There are different lift plates available which doesn't really matter at all. Center the plate between the front and rear carbs, you might need to drill 2 new holes to catch the front 2 studs of the rear carb. The plate and studs are plenty strong to lift the mighty fe in place. Make sure you use flat washers on each stud to distribute the load across that small surface area, and WAALA in goes your engine. Good Luck

CSX 3183

Buy 2 lift plates, and attach to both carb locations, that's what I did, makes life real simple and easy

Quote from: OldGuy on October 10, 2018, 12:23:04 PM

Ron

Hope this helps.

Frank
Member of SAAC since 1977

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CSX 3183 on October 10, 2018, 07:39:38 PM

Buy 2 lift plates, and attach to both carb locations, that's what I did, makes life real simple and easy

The Mac lift plate is a adjustable one and not statationary. It is not designed to be used in tandom. I am not sure how you would use that style in tandom.  http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/PiVOT-and-Adapters

427heaven

There's proof ya ask 100 guys how do you remove a motor or install. and you will get 100 different answers. ;)

CSX 3183

I was of course speaking of your plain ol everyday standard lift plates, not this adjustable one

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 10, 2018, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: CSX 3183 on October 10, 2018, 07:39:38 PM

The Mac lift plate is a adjustable one and not statationary. It is not designed to be used in tandom. I am not sure how you would use that style in tandom.  http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/PiVOT-and-Adapters
Member of SAAC since 1977

67gt500

I recently installed my engine with the drivers side header installed on the engine.. I placed the passenger side header in the engine bay..Once i got it in the right position i pulled it up and bolted it on.. These were FPA headers.. Worked a treat.
I also have done it this way on a 68 390 Mustang with super comp hooker headers.. Done both with the transmission attached.. My GT500 is a 4 Spd car and the 68 was a auto..
leave the booster off, that way you can install the engine with the valve covers on..
Also as mentioned, if the headers are new, better do a test fit, or you will be throwing your tools around before you know it..