News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT 500 Engine Installation - Lift Plate Question

Started by rbarkley, October 09, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

No accessories, transmission, valve covers or carburetors. You can leave the bell housing on.Headers cannot be installed with the engine. They have to be slid down and leaned against the shock towers sitting on the floor. Leave the frame engine mount frame brackets off. Install the headers with the engine hanging about where it will set when mounted. I bought two carb flange hoist brackets to help with weight distribution and for the engine leveler.  In and bolted up, including 6114 hookers and transmission 3.0 hours.

-Keith

Wedgeman

I did mine in a similar way way... C-6 attached...headers attached...with a floor jack ( padded of course ) waiting underneath.... 8)

rbarkley

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.

As a follow-up, I talked with the rep from Mac's.  For the FE dual-quad, they said to use the front carb
with their pivot plate when removing/installing engine only and use the rear carb location when installing/removing
engine and trans together.

They sell a lot of pivot plate adapters for the LS and coyote engine, but nothing for the FE dual quad or tri-power. 
They have no plans at this time to fabricate an adapter plate.

I will go with their recommendation and use the rear carb location.

Thanks again!

Ron

427heaven

Many of us have been doing this for so long with a chain or strap anything else is just a nuisance, plus the time and money spent on something that in 5-10 minutes with junk laying around the garage, I could have the engine out safely at no cost. For years I made a loop in the chain that I would move from a center pick to a little rearward depending if the trans was attached or not. It has worked for back yard grease monkey's for the past 75 years and is still a good option if chosen to use it.  ;)

Wedgeman

Chain has many uses......never lies around unused for long.......

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: rbarkley on October 11, 2018, 02:02:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.

As a follow-up, I talked with the rep from Mac's.  For the FE dual-quad, they said to use the front carb
with their pivot plate when removing/installing engine only and use the rear carb location when installing/removing
engine and trans together.

They sell a lot of pivot plate adapters for the LS and coyote engine, but nothing for the FE dual quad or tri-power. 
They have no plans at this time to fabricate an adapter plate.

I will go with their recommendation and use the rear carb location.

Thanks again!

Ron

I would NOT use just one carb plate for an FE.  It's not a small block chevy. I would buy a plate for both carbs, buy grade eight bolts. You're asking for disaster on an aluminum manifold.  Especially if you're planning on doing it with the trans. An FE is 600 plus pounds alone.
You also cannot put long tube headers mounted to the engine, and anyone here that tells you that you can has never done an FE install in a mustang. They will not clear, not even with ONE side on.

67gt500

Well 1967 Eight Barrel, that's a big call.. Here is a picture of the engine going into my GT500 with the drivers side header attached..
Like i side, i have also done this with a set of Hooker super comps.. Both cars we had the gear box attached, and installed as a unit..

shelbydoug

Pictures like this always make me very nervous. Did you need to raise the rear of the car also? I can envision the transmission tailshaft dragging on the floor.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that I remember original factory installations with scrapes in the black engine compartment paint. Back then, no one cared what happened "under the car".

I would caution everyone that new Hooker headers NEED to be fitted to the chassis obstructions with a hammer first so I don't know how you do that with the headers installed on the engine first, especially if they are already factory coated?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 67gt500 on October 14, 2018, 03:44:12 AM
Well 1967 Eight Barrel, that's a big call.. Here is a picture of the engine going into my GT500 with the drivers side header attached..
Like i side, i have also done this with a set of Hooker super comps.. Both cars we had the gear box attached, and installed as a unit..

Where there's a will, there's a way...  Good job!

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

427heaven

Keen eyes show he has already made some adjustments for fitment issues, with what looks like a persuasion tool  ;D around the bellhousing area. Lifting the ass end up always makes things go in much easier. Ask 100 guys to do something and you will get it done 100 different ways, as long as the finished product is a good one all is well. ;)

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on October 14, 2018, 09:26:18 AM
Quote from: 67gt500 on October 14, 2018, 03:44:12 AM

Where there's a will, there's a way...  Good job!

Chris

+1

rbarkley

Well, I am not going to use this yellow strap for sure!  However, It did do the trick to get the engine off the engine stand.  Torque converter due in this week.

I think I will go with the double lift plate as mentioned.

Ron

Bob Gaines

I mostly am pushing and pulling single four engines mostly and got tired a long time ago of using the chain tilter that was bolted to the front and back of the engine and how easily you could tear up your firewall with a little movement on the that side. I have a chain tilter hanging on the wall that I haven't touched since I can't remember. I and others have used the MAC adjustable lift for decades and have also used it  for a duel four but I didn't like it as much for that. The picture of the two lift plates and the chain tilter hoked to both looks like a good alternative that will not damage the firewall . I will try that myself next time given I have all the parts to make it happen. Let us know how it goes. Do it slow and easy. Best of luck. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: rbarkley on October 14, 2018, 03:00:27 PM
Well, I am not going to use this yellow strap for sure!  However, It did do the trick to get the engine off the engine stand.  Torque converter due in this week.

I think I will go with the double lift plate as mentioned.

Ron

Agreed, I wouldn't use that strap to haul garbage to the dump.

The 2 "yellow straps" that I used in conjunction with the chain tilter in my video are rigging slings rated at 3200lbs each! (Acklands/Grainger Item # LALEE2801DFX4)

Overkill? Maybe but I wasn't worried about dropping the driveline in by myself. With the use of a couple pieces of cardboard it slid in without effort.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold