News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT 500 Engine Installation - Lift Plate Question

Started by rbarkley, October 09, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67gt500

ShelbyDoug - Once i get the oil pan over the radiator support, i use a race jack under the tail shaft to raise the rear up as i drop the engine into place.. No need to raise the rear of the car.
You are correct, i did make a few surgical whacks with a ball pen hammer, so the Z bar had room to swing..
I also fitted the passenger header gasket on the head, using a high temp gasket cement and bolting the header on and leaving over night.. Remove the header and you have half the job done.. Place the header in the engine bay, once it comes time to pull the header up, place gasket cement on the header and bolt it on the head.. easy..
I also have 2 extra helping hands with good big block mustang experience to help.. not real important, but we use the day to get together and talk all things FE Ford..
Key is, Preparation, Preparation, Preparation.. the rest is easy..

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: 67gt500 on October 14, 2018, 03:44:12 AM
Well 1967 Eight Barrel, that's a big call.. Here is a picture of the engine going into my GT500 with the drivers side header attached..
Like i side, i have also done this with a set of Hooker super comps.. Both cars we had the gear box attached, and installed as a unit..

Those are not 6114. They hug the block. As I stated, 6114 hookers will not go in on the engine. If you did get one side in, you didn't do it without hitting the tower and likely the floor board. There was a time where I may have pushed that envelope, but not on a re-painted engine compartment with a manual transmission.
                                                                                           -Keith

67gt500

Your right, they are not 6114 Hookers, They are FPA Headers.. I didn't say the Hookers were on my car.. They were on my friends 68 390 Mustang with a auto trans.. and we bolted the drivers side header on and installed it with the passenger header sitting in the engine bay.. But that's ok, ill keep doing what i do, and i know how to do it without banging around the shock towers and you can keep doing what you do.. I just found an easier way.. no problem..
Actually, i just rang my brother in law, who has just finished installing his 390 into his 68 4 speed car, with 6114 Hookers, and he did it how i explained.. i didn't help on his install as i was away overseas.. but on all accounts he said worked a treat..

rbarkley

Got the engine and trans installed today.  Beautiful Texas weather and good friends made all the difference.
I did use the MAC Pivot plate.  It worked great.  Headers took a little more time especially the bottom bolts.  I had to remove the starter, and engine mounts.  Got the headers installed from the bottom up and then put everything back together. Great day overall!  First time the big block has been in since 1974.
Ron

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

98SVT - was 06GT

I've never bothered with lift plates or load positioning doo dads. A length of chain and a bolt into a rear exhaust manifold hole and front on the other side has always worked. If I had the original factory lift brackets I used those.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless