Author Topic: dye---vinyl  (Read 6132 times)

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
dye---vinyl
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »
Hi---if anyone has any good experience how to dye would you kindly share it with us that by virtue of our jobs and education know nothing or very little----I would like to restore original dash pad in very good condition, however it does have some blemishes---also it is possible that at some point it might be cleaned with wrong cleaner  [should you have knowledge on subject and wish to share I would be very thankful-, but please do not take this as opportunity to insult me, and my lack of knowledge ---thanks again ----                         P.S. HOWEVER I DO CONCEDE BY READING BLOGS I HAVE HAD COME ACROSS SOME OF THE NICEST AND MOST CENCIERE  HUMANOIDS---thanks again

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: dye---vinyl
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:44:29 AM »
Hi John,

I am getting ready to try VHT Penetrating Vinyl Dye Part No. SP942.  From the Summit site they claim:

VHT's Penetrating Color Dye is not paint, but a true dye that permanently changes or restores the original color. It's extremely resistant to cracking or fading and can be used on soft or hard vinyl, plastic, and leather. Existing colors can be dyed to a lighter or darker color in a one-step process that's easy to apply and dries extremely fast.

Best of luck

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:58:25 AM »
Hi John,

I am getting ready to try VHT Penetrating Vinyl Dye Part No. SP942.  From the Summit site they claim:

VHT's Penetrating Color Dye is not paint, but a true dye that permanently changes or restores the original color. It's extremely resistant to cracking or fading and can be used on soft or hard vinyl, plastic, and leather. Existing colors can be dyed to a lighter or darker color in a one-step process that's easy to apply and dries extremely fast.

Best of luck

Cory
I have never heard of that product. It sounds interesting .I hope you have positive results. Please report back.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:19:34 AM »
Hi John,

Best of luck

Cory
I have never heard of that product. It sounds interesting .I hope you have positive results. Please report back.

Hi Bob,  I will report back.  The product is in the mail.  I was not able to buy locally.

Cory

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »

I would be concerned if the VHT product does not include the correct prep. cleaner and adhesion promoter.  I've used the SEM products and have had good results which have held up very well. Below is a video of the SEM products and the preparation methods leading up to coloring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYPr7ea_NfY

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
Thanks for help----apparently if part being painted has ever been exposed to silicon based cleaners such as armorall   the dye will not adhere---is that a fact or just myth ----thanks again---please keep me posted as to your success  John

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
I have used SEM products and they are outstanding. The results are excellent and more importantly, they have held up on parts dyed 15 years ago **It is critical that you get the SEM Vinyl Prep which will work best for your dash. (SEM also offers a Plastic Prep, you will want the Vinyl Prep).
       My process would be to spray the dash with Simple Green cleaner and using a new plastic brush (like you would use on dishes in the kitchen) scrub the dash. Rinse off, dry the dash and repeat. I would spray, scrub and rinse the dash with Simple Green at least three times. Allow the dash to thoroughly dry for at least a day.
       On the day your are ready to apply the SEM, put on a pair of latex gloves to keep the oils from your hands off the dash. Apply the SEM Vinyl Prep per instructions. Wipe off with paper towel. If there are signs of any dirt on the paper towel, give another application of the Vinyl Prep. Once your are satisfied the dash is completely clean, apply the SEM dye in the color of your choice.
       Check the SEM website for locations that sell their products. I found mine at the local auto paint supplier.
        Best of luck with your project. If you get the dash spotlessly clean and use the Prep, you should have excellent results.
Jeff

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
Thanks---you sound like pro---I will copy your instructions

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 08:00:03 PM »
I have used SEM products and they are outstanding. The results are excellent and more importantly, they have held up on parts dyed 15 years ago **It is critical that you get the SEM Vinyl Prep which will work best for your dash. (SEM also offers a Plastic Prep, you will want the Vinyl Prep).
       My process would be to spray the dash with Simple Green cleaner and using a new plastic brush (like you would use on dishes in the kitchen) scrub the dash. Rinse off, dry the dash and repeat. I would spray, scrub and rinse the dash with Simple Green at least three times. Allow the dash to thoroughly dry for at least a day.
       On the day your are ready to apply the SEM, put on a pair of latex gloves to keep the oils from your hands off the dash. Apply the SEM Vinyl Prep per instructions. Wipe off with paper towel. If there are signs of any dirt on the paper towel, give another application of the Vinyl Prep. Once your are satisfied the dash is completely clean, apply the SEM dye in the color of your choice.
       Check the SEM website for locations that sell their products. I found mine at the local auto paint supplier.
        Best of luck with your project. If you get the dash spotlessly clean and use the Prep, you should have excellent results.
Jeff

Great info
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:19:25 AM »
Cory, vht can be found at Wesco. a couple of blocks from the pizza joint. I think vht just purchaced sem. not sure thou. phred

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 05:50:04 AM »
I have used the VHT vynil prep and dye stuff 20 years ago on my console and it still adheres. Used washing detergent (we call it Waschbenzin) to clean the vynil. A green cleaner is for sure better.

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 05:11:00 PM »
Hi----how soon do you expect to dye----I am sort of sold on SEM--however open to listen to good advice--thanks

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »
Some site on the net, listed red as a color for '69-'70 Shelby models, but I don't think that is correct.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »
Has anyone tried dyeing seat belts?

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
for safety reasons, they don't recommend doing belts. phred