Author Topic: dye---vinyl  (Read 6130 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: dye---vinyl
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »
for safety reasons, they don't recommend doing belts. phred

Hi Phred,  Who is they?  I am not sure it really matters.  If your car has a none collapsible steering column and no shoulder harness, the lap belt is mostly notional for safety anyhow.  It is still a good idea to wear, but if you are worried about safety, driving these old cars in not the best idea.  When I was a little lad, I remember my grandmother holding me in the passenger front seat while I stood and looked out the windows.  I had no seat belt on at all.  Now days that will get you a ticket if not child endangerment.

Cory
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:57:49 PM by 6s1640 »

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:01 PM »
FWIW, I seem to recall many years ago, RIT dye was used to re-dye seat belts.  You're not going to be able to change color but just get the original color looking more like new. After dyeing, I'd sure as H*&& rinse them a few times to be sure that all excess dye was removed. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:11:23 PM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 09:38:29 PM »
Some site on the net, listed red as a color for '69-'70 Shelby models, but I don't think that is correct.
  Huh????
Some 69/70 Shelbys did have red interiors  ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 08:25:57 PM »
TOPKOP, I'm sure that it was a misinformed website owner that didn't get their info straight before publishing their info on these Shelbys. I, personally, really like the white interiors with white tops. I'm going for a '70 GT350 'vert with the 351 and an auto w/ a/c, in my choice of either Grabber Green, Gulfstream Aqua or maybe Silver Jade. I also like Candy Apple Red and Competition Red and Grabber Blue.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 02:12:49 AM »
Cory, they say it breaks down the material, same reason we can't (don't) paint air bags. How much does it break down? it's kinda like peeing in the ocean, and it warms it up. yes, it does, but I don't think anything measureable. all about the liability. phred

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »
Old-style dyes that were caustic over time, like the kind that was used to dye wool and silk for oriental rugs before and around the turn of the last century, would deteriorate the material and once that was found out, it was banned from those countries for use in the industry. I'd have to have someone prove to me, that the material in those seat belts would have their integrity compromised from dying them. It's not right: you can use seatbelts in a car for the life of the car, but a racing harness is no good, after 5 years. Whatever.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 03:48:17 AM »
The reason for not dyeing seatbelts has nothing to do with safety, but the material the belts are made of. It will not adhere and is stiff.

-Keith
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:38:32 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
It will not change the color of the belts and it will make them stiff? Ok.

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Hi---I followed Jeffs instruction and so far is holding very well and 100% uniform---in addition on installing dashpad mechanic had dirty hands and it got wiped out completely with no trace of discoloring---thanks--John 

Hotrod Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
  Hi, I just want to throw my two cents in! Over 40 years experience in the automotive field, just to give you a little background. When it comes to dying vinyl, SEMs has always worked best for me, VHT in the past had problems with adhering, They may be better now? Silicon is not your friend, it must be cleaned off thoroughly. Simple Green works great for this, but you must make sure all the cleaner (dried soap film) is washed off too, I usually final rinse with plain water and a dry off with air, terry towels and fiber towels will work but leave lint behide, so be sure to blow it off and let the item dry completely. Most vinyl dyes will wear off in high wear areas, like seats, non wear surfaces surfaces like dash, kick panels, package trays, etc. are great canidates for dying, on plastics I've found that "Sand Free" applied to a clean surface promotes better adhesion for the dye. Seat belts on the other hand should be rewebbed if they are faded, because they are compromised
in stregth. Plus if you do dye them, you take the chance of color transfer to clothes and possible other interior pieces. Hope this helps!